Beware of '38 Top Gun on Ebay >

Beware of '38 Top Gun on Ebay

Notices

Beware of '38 Top Gun on Ebay

Old 07-30-2014, 10:40 AM
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by low_psi
The guy said he was pre-approved on the boat. No bank is going to give you a check until they see a copy of the title (they need to verify its a legit sale and also want to verify there are no other liens).... If a seller who listed a boat in FL, then after the sale says the boats in Canada, then demands a wire transfer as the only form of payment, I am running as fast as I can, the other direction......
Sure, if that's the complete and true story. We only know one side correct?

Seller had clean feedback, and his location shows as canada. However, maybe he had a winter home on Florida? (Very common) and left Florida from the last location he sold? And I am sure he is frustrated as a seller, when you list a sub 50k performance boat on eBay you can develop a predjuduce after just a few short days.

I am just playing devils advocate, because we do not know other side. I sent the seller a link to the thread to come on here and explain.
Old 07-30-2014, 12:10 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

Ad says freshwater only boat. Ebay listing says its in Ft Lauderdale???
Old 07-30-2014, 12:31 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 4bus

Seller had clean feedback, and his location shows as canada. However, maybe he had a winter home on Florida? (Very common) and left Florida from the last location he sold? And I am sure he is frustrated as a seller, when you list a sub 50k performance boat on eBay you can develop a predjuduce after just a few short days.

I am just playing devils advocate, because we do not know other side. I sent the seller a link to the thread to come on here and explain.
I understand there are two sides to every story however there is no arguing the facts. I am not going to wire money to anyone I don't know for a product I have never seen. Regardless if it is an auction, the product has to be represented accurately. Location was different and in another country. Title was not in his name. I didn't bid on the boat to go see if I liked it. I was going to buy it regardless based on a paragraph and some pictures. So naturally I want to be sure there is actually a boat. And financing was set. Done! I wasn't waiting for financing. I was pre-approved. Certified check the next day. What I was waiting for was information from him which didn't come easy. I caught him in several lies.

Are you suggesting that I should wire money to some account in Canada and hope for the best? And lets say everything does go well. I am still left with the problem of title and registration. Maybe you can drop $50,000 at the drop of a hat but I'm a Medic and work hard for my money and I see no problem with doing things correctly. How hard would it have been to title it correctly and even if he has a winter home in Florida.... listing the correct location would take like... 2 minutes? He re-listed it and still has Fort Lauderdale listed as location. Which by the way violates Ebay policy.

Is that how you would do business? If so I have a bridge in Brooklyn I am looking to sell. I need a wire transfer and just ignore those pesky city officials that claim ownership cause I am legit....
Old 07-30-2014, 12:46 PM
Registered

Received 295 Likes on 159 Posts

That argument doesn't hold an ounce of water here. If you want to play devils advocate, lets pretend you live in or near Fort Lauderdale and win this auction, are you still going to stand by your words when you are paying through the nose to have the boat brought back into
America? IMO the seller is a piece of chit and is trying to pull a fast one on unsuspecting buyers. I would say be glad this didn't go any further than it did to the original poster, sounds like the seller isn't worth dealing with.
Old 07-30-2014, 01:12 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 46 Likes on 23 Posts

eBay should cancel that auction you "won" because item was not represented as stated. It clearly is located in another country, the listing says "item location....", not "where seller decides" is convenient. There is no explanation of pickup out of the country, easy slam dunk for eBay to delete.
Old 07-30-2014, 01:22 PM
Registered

Received 36 Likes on 17 Posts

does anyone know the current sellers name?

Local99 if you have the funds available to buy a 50k boat wouldnt you have the 500 bucks to go fly and take a look at the boat? you can win a auction with your cell phone these days. OR put a couple hundred dollar deposit on the boat when the auction ended then go look at it worst case your out a couple hundo. alot of guys spend alot of money just going to look at boats and end up walking away. thats part of boat buying you have to deal with. been there done that.

and with a rockin 4 post count you may wanna take it easy with the blasting of other members. we all work hard for our money. im a auto mechanic... 4bus sells snake oil... we arent any different than you my friend. may wanna put your guns back in your holsters
Old 07-30-2014, 01:23 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Local99
I understand there are two sides to every story however there is no arguing the facts. I am not going to wire money to anyone I don't know for a product I have never seen. Regardless if it is an auction, the product has to be represented accurately. Location was different and in another country. Title was not in his name. I didn't bid on the boat to go see if I liked it. I was going to buy it regardless based on a paragraph and some pictures. So naturally I want to be sure there is actually a boat. And financing was set. Done! I wasn't waiting for financing. I was pre-approved. Certified check the next day. What I was waiting for was information from him which didn't come easy. I caught him in several lies.

Are you suggesting that I should wire money to some account in Canada and hope for the best? And lets say everything does go well. I am still left with the problem of title and registration. Maybe you can drop $50,000 at the drop of a hat but I'm a Medic and work hard for my money and I see no problem with doing things correctly. How hard would it have been to title it correctly and even if he has a winter home in Florida.... listing the correct location would take like... 2 minutes? He re-listed it and still has Fort Lauderdale listed as location. Which by the way violates Ebay policy.

Is that how you would do business? If so I have a bridge in Brooklyn I am looking to sell. I need a wire transfer and just ignore those pesky city officials that claim ownership cause I am legit....
Again, we only know what you tell us, how do we know it's the truth is all I am saying. I was trying to paint a picture for the other side, no need to he your panties in a bunch.

Maybe he is a scammer, he has been sent the link. If he doesn't show up there is a very good chance he is scam. But, this would not be the first time that there are two different stories.

I don't know you, you are new here, so why ships I take your word over his? You have not posted proof, just your side.....that's all I am saying. You may be right, you may be feeding us a line of bs.....wouldn't be the first time.
Old 07-30-2014, 01:27 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Stuckonstupid
That argument doesn't hold an ounce of water here. If you want to play devils advocate, lets pretend you live in or near Fort Lauderdale and win this auction, are you still going to stand by your words when you are paying through the nose to have the boat brought back into
America? IMO the seller is a piece of chit and is trying to pull a fast one on unsuspecting buyers. I would say be glad this didn't go any further than it did to the original poster, sounds like the seller isn't worth dealing with.

I never said I would pay anything, just painted a picture of how this could be a misunderstanding. Have you tried to sell a boat in today's market? Not easy and very frustrating. So far the signs do not look like the usual scam. But you sided with with buyer already I see. You must know him, and know all the details of the transaction right?

I see a real seller, with a legit address, good feed back, a phone number, and even a complaint in the ad about the last buyer. I would like to hear both sides is all. Otherwise this one sided argument holds no weight. Sorry

Oh, and FYI I wired double that sell price to Florida for the purchase of my boat. Canada is not Nigeria, they will prosecute for the US
Old 07-30-2014, 01:33 PM
Registered

Received 295 Likes on 159 Posts

I never said I would pay anything, just painted a picture of how this could be a misunderstanding. Have you tried to sell a boat in today's market? Not easy and very frustrating. So far the signs do not look like the usual scam. But you sided with with buyer already I see. You must know him, and know all the details of the transaction right?

I see a real seller, with a legit address, good feed back, a phone number, and even a complaint in the ad about the last buyer. I would like to hear both sides is all. Otherwise this one sided argument holds no weight. Sorry

Oh, and FYI I wired double that sell price to Florida for the purchase of my boat. Canada is not Nigeria, they will prosecute for the US
I don't know the buyer from Adam. Selling high dollar items such as this boat is pretty straight forward, especially when it comes to the geographic location of the item for sale. The seller shot his opportunity to defend himself when he listed an item for sale in Florida when the item is actually located in another country, that's just shady business. Regarding myself selling a boat, I sold mine in 11 days for full asking price, money was wired to me from buyer and the boat is sitting where I told the buyer to pick it up, it's not that hard to represent something accurately. I wasn't trying to argue with you, but reading the ad and him throwing a stone at the previous buyer is not justified when he's the one making what should be an easy transaction complicated.
Old 07-30-2014, 01:51 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 88bullet
i know all about that boat. i took a long hard look at it before i bought mine. talked to the owner a few times.
Why did you pass on that one ?? Any major issues ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.