Notices

Scammer

Old 07-09-2024, 09:26 AM
  #1  
Registered
Thread Starter
 
Revd Up's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Rockford, IL
Posts: 1,099
Received 27 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Scammer

I wanted to warn everyone about an OSO member who goes under the user name of STARRFISH.

He PM'd me on a wanted ad I had posted looking for a prop. He sent me picts, we agreed on a price, and I sent him a cashiers check for $550. Once he received the money, he acknowledged he received it and would ship right out with a tracking number. That was a couple of weeks ago and I could never reach him again. Just vanished

Watch out for this guy as he's a scammer!

James Gagilo
1081 Chokecherry Dr.
Winter Springs, Florida 32708
[email protected]
407-970-6658


Revd Up is offline  
The following 2 users liked this post by Revd Up:
105Fountain (07-09-2024), the deep (07-09-2024)
Old 07-09-2024, 02:20 PM
  #2  
VIP Member
VIP Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2021
Location: SW Ohio
Posts: 1,806
Received 885 Likes on 509 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Revd Up
I wanted to warn everyone about an OSO member who goes under the user name of STARRFISH.

He PM'd me on a wanted ad I had posted looking for a prop. He sent me picts, we agreed on a price, and I sent him a cashiers check for $550. Once he received the money, he acknowledged he received it and would ship right out with a tracking number. That was a couple of weeks ago and I could never reach him again. Just vanished

Watch out for this guy as he's a scammer!

James Gagilo
1081 Chokecherry Dr.
Winter Springs, Florida 32708
[email protected]
407-970-6658
RevD,

Yup. Don't know if it's the same guy, but I almost got got by some dude replying via text to a post of mine in the "Wanted" section. I had mailed a personal check, but then began to suspect, so I reached out to the OSO member he said he was, and he wasn't, so I cancelled the check. It cost me $25, but it was better than the $500 the check was for. The dude got pissed that I cancelled the check. He said he'd shipped the prop, and that he would have to "intercept" the shipment. I told him to go ahead and let it go through, and that I would send him another check when the prop arrived. He went dark on me after that.

The moral of the story is... If you didn't initiate the interaction, verify who you're dealing with.

Thanks. Brad.

Last edited by Brad Christy; 07-09-2024 at 03:23 PM.
Brad Christy is offline  
The following users liked this post:
tommymonza (07-10-2024)
Old 07-09-2024, 02:42 PM
  #3  
Were doomed!
Charter Member
 
Wally's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 6,761
Received 990 Likes on 502 Posts
Default

if you mailed it via USPS you can report it for mail fraud and hopefully the postal inspector will go after them....
__________________
-Wally

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy horsepower. And I've never seen a sad person hauling a$$!
Wally is offline  
The following 4 users liked this post by Wally:
105Fountain (07-09-2024), 1983ScarabIII (07-10-2024), OPS VZLA (07-09-2024), Revd Up (07-09-2024)
Old 07-09-2024, 03:14 PM
  #4  
VIP Member
VIP Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2021
Location: SW Ohio
Posts: 1,806
Received 885 Likes on 509 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Wally
if you mailed it via USPS you can report it for mail fraud and hopefully the postal inspector will go after them....
Wally,

Yup. Shoulda done that. Prolly too late now.

Thanks. Brad.

Last edited by Brad Christy; 07-09-2024 at 03:23 PM.
Brad Christy is offline  
Old 07-09-2024, 03:14 PM
  #5  
Registered
Thread Starter
 
Revd Up's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Rockford, IL
Posts: 1,099
Received 27 Likes on 15 Posts
Default

Thanks Wally that's good to know and I will do that if I don't get reimbursed..

I did get a call back from James today and he seemed like a decent guy, not the guy I had been dealing with. Said he did receive my money and would work at paying me back. He was not aware of the whole prop transaction. I believe the guy that scammed me owes him money.

I'm not quite sure what is going on. Hopefully I will be reimbursed..

Revd Up is offline  
The following users liked this post:
105Fountain (07-09-2024)
Old 07-09-2024, 04:00 PM
  #6  
Registered
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Lake Ozark, MO USA
Posts: 1,208
Received 437 Likes on 261 Posts
Default

Seems like there has been a rash of scammers on here and other sites recently.
Helmwurst is offline  
Old 07-09-2024, 05:30 PM
  #7  
Registered
 
Join Date: Dec 2022
Posts: 374
Received 171 Likes on 98 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Revd Up
Thanks Wally that's good to know and I will do that if I don't get reimbursed..

I did get a call back from James today and he seemed like a decent guy, not the guy I had been dealing with. Said he did receive my money and would work at paying me back. He was not aware of the whole prop transaction. I believe the guy that scammed me owes him money.

I'm not quite sure what is going on. Hopefully I will be reimbursed..
For $550 loser scammer thief pressure them this is a good start!
105Fountain is offline  
Old 07-09-2024, 05:44 PM
  #8  
Registered
 
jeff32's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: St-Hyacinthe, quebec, canada
Posts: 7,822
Received 410 Likes on 276 Posts
Default

How can we trust one on one deal on internet...???

what would tell you to trust me for example?
nothing...
jeff32 is offline  
Old 07-09-2024, 05:48 PM
  #9  
VIP Member
VIP Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Wichita, Kansas
Posts: 1,021
Received 645 Likes on 299 Posts
Default

I have for the most part given up on selling over the 'net. Got scammed too often on Craigslist, same on a couple of car/boat/motorcycle forums (NOT this one). For me, I simply cannot post a 'for sale' item without nearly instantly and constantly being barraged by the African bastards...the whole, "yes to yes...pleases to immediatelys remove add, I will pay additional $XXXX amount by cashiers check...", yada yada yada.
__________________
Baja 252 Islander
bajaman is offline  
The following users liked this post:
350scarab (07-09-2024)
Old 07-09-2024, 07:10 PM
  #10  
Fast Singles Club
Gold Member
 
the deep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Raystown Lake , Pa.
Posts: 4,040
Received 485 Likes on 178 Posts
Default

Guess I'll be listing my stuff on ebay. No wonder nothing seems to moving in swap. What a shame, used to be a great place to buy and sell.
the deep is offline  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.