500efi 2002 46 sc concerns >

500efi 2002 46 sc concerns

Notices

500efi 2002 46 sc concerns

Old 05-16-2009, 12:03 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 500efi 2002 46 sc concerns

Good morning, I have asked this question before in the general thread area. wanted to hear from BT owners.

I am looking at a 46 SC with 500 efi, 2002. 251 hrs.

The previious owner took real good care and maint. Proably never seen over 50 mph. My question cocnerns the upper end, valve springs, lifters. I've read a lot about the alledge trouble with and everyone is saying change them out.

I respect what they are are saying but I never seen any of my friends have issues with them, although the are not BT's. They are not hammer down type driver.

But, I have notice that most thunders for sale have new engines or one new engines. could this be the valve spring and lifters issue that damage the original engine, I don't know,

I guess I am having a hard time comprehending that the 500 efi's lives for only 250 hrs before you have to rework the upper valvetrain. I wouldn't think that all BT owners are hard drivers, I'm not and mine will most likey be run at 40-45 mph.

I would think that since they run poly locks on the rocker, the issue could be the lock nuts are coming loose and out of adjustment and they everything is down hill from there.
Should I just check the torque and ajustment, or do I really need to change springs....or do I have to cahnge lifters and springs.

Then another thread refered to these 46 footer as lead slids, won't run flat, bounce up and down,,,,,etc...I find that hard to believe...or do they just need a lot of tab on them. I sea trial mine in a week or so, I guess I will see. Love the boat though....................
Thanks all.

Like to hear from other BT owners, please, having a hard time sleeping over this purchase after reading all this web/net stuff......
Old 05-16-2009, 01:31 PM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by Bear442
Good morning, I have asked this question before in the general thread area. wanted to hear from BT owners.

I am looking at a 46 SC with 500 efi, 2002. 251 hrs.

The previious owner took real good care and maint. Proably never seen over 50 mph. My question cocnerns the upper end, valve springs, lifters. I've read a lot about the alledge trouble with and everyone is saying change them out.

I respect what they are are saying but I never seen any of my friends have issues with them, although the are not BT's. They are not hammer down type driver.

But, I have notice that most thunders for sale have new engines or one new engines. could this be the valve spring and lifters issue that damage the original engine, I don't know,

I guess I am having a hard time comprehending that the 500 efi's lives for only 250 hrs before you have to rework the upper valvetrain. I wouldn't think that all BT owners are hard drivers, I'm not and mine will most likey be run at 40-45 mph.

I would think that since they run poly locks on the rocker, the issue could be the lock nuts are coming loose and out of adjustment and they everything is down hill from there.
Should I just check the torque and ajustment, or do I really need to change springs....or do I have to cahnge lifters and springs.

Then another thread refered to these 46 footer as lead slids, won't run flat, bounce up and down,,,,,etc...I find that hard to believe...or do they just need a lot of tab on them. I sea trial mine in a week or so, I guess I will see. Love the boat though....................
Thanks all.

Like to hear from other BT owners, please, having a hard time sleeping over this purchase after reading all this web/net stuff......
Not sure if this will help your dilemma, but i had a little over 400 hours on my 500efis in a 42 fountain with no problems. Then a valve dropped and chunked a piston. #7 hole if i remember correctly. I now have a BT 43 sport cruiser and have 49 hrs on her 500 efis. Not sure why they were rebuilt but they were. As far as the ride, i havent had any issues with porpise or pitch/roll issues. I havent spent a ton of time in a 46 but would guess they would be similar to my 43. I really believe that the life of an engine depends on your judgement on the throttles. I like cruising, but every so often, i open it up. Probably why i m putting whipples on her
Old 05-16-2009, 06:24 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Send Boatme a message and he might be able to help you out. He use to sell for BT and can go over the changes from the 43 to 46, as this was the time he worked/rep'd for them.

Good luck.
Old 05-17-2009, 08:53 AM
Registered
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We love our 46EC. I spend 99 % at 40 MPH and enjoy the ride. Ride is great no problem with proposing, bouncing, or anything else. Im trying the longer tabs for a little less tab input with people moving around the boat when underway. Also to help with planning when everyone is in the back. I was a little worried before and after with buyers remorse but fine now. Bow thruster would be nice backing in slip with all the cross winds we have here.
Bobby

Last edited by BDARCHER; 05-21-2009 at 11:07 AM.
Old 05-18-2009, 10:33 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

The reference to the valve springs is more along the line of "insurance"! The motors don't have a lot of hours on them but since the hours are not many since 2002, then the valve springs have set compressed for a sometime when not in use. This sometimes causes springs to become somewhat weak. Replacing the valve springs is cheap insurance to prevent valve from breaking in future and causing big bucks issues. But then again, you start opening up motors and things can go wrong then too if not done properly. So, you can chance it and run it and it may be fine for many years. Or you could already have a broken inner valve srping and not even know it and it will get worse and might lead to bigger issues. But the 500 issues that people heard a lot about were back with the 500HP, not efi's when the valve springs were breaking a lot. The 500 efi is a very good engine and I have friends with them and they run and run and run!
Old 05-18-2009, 09:57 PM
Registered

thank you all for the info. I heard so much, I don't know which way is up. It is good news to hear that the 500 efi's are not affected by the spring breakage at 250 hrs. I just can't seem to understand why anytime you see a BT for sale it aways read 15 hrs on one engine and 260 on the other, made me think neg. I really don't want to spend all this money and yhen have to go into the engine. I have to make a decision this week and set up the survey and .......

really love the boat but have a bad omen after reading all this net stuff. I have been around race motors all my life and have built 100's of engine, never thought this would happen at such low hours, but ....boat are different. Thanks for all the inf.

Bear