Bravo Drive Breakage on BT

Notices

Bravo Drive Breakage on BT

Old 08-07-2005, 06:47 PM
'05 Concept SF23
VIP Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Re: Bravo Drive Breakage on BT

Mine is a '97 SC430 with twin steps. When I bought the boat it had HP500, Bravo 1, Boxes. The motors had been moved up 1" and the Stellings boxes dropped all the way down and Imco flex shafts with HP Merc engine couplers. 70 MPH top speed, plane of in a heartbeat with out tabs with a full load. When I re-rigged I raised the X to put the point of the gear case even with the running surface @ the transom with out boxes.The transmissions moved the motors forward about 18". It took full tab, 800HP blower motors and a long time to plane with a light load. Would not plane with a heavy load. Added 2" drive spacers and it was better. Changed motors to 735Hp NA and added another 1" drive spacer. Boat comes on plane really nice now and I think if I got some newer round ear 5 blade props or went to boxes it would really pick up the top end. The main problem with the Stellings boxes is the same problem center motors have in triple applications, the drive is bolted to solid to the flywheel with out the coupler. Joe Murray.
Old 08-08-2005, 09:58 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Joe, do all boxes require you to run solid drive shaft on staggard apps? I'm using Imco boxes now with std Merc couplers.

Wiggler, are they really that bad or are you trying to sell more Nor-tecs? You are natural competition for Black Thunder.
Old 08-08-2005, 04:38 PM
'05 Concept SF23
VIP Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Ian, the Imco boxes and drive shaft into the Merc coupler are the way to go vs. the Stellings with the solid bolt on connection. You might look at Max Machine Works or B-Max drives for next season. You might consider the Konrad drives with the transmissions in the hull to move the engines forward 18". Also with the Konrads you won't have to worry about drive breakage. Have them make a box with a Bravo to Konrad bolt pattern and it should be a bolt on. Talk to Biggus about the application. If you have access to a place to work on the boat with over head lift this should not be too bad a rerig plus the Konrads use the less expensive Bravo style props. With the transmissions you still have a drive plate to help absorb shock while shifting. Joe Murray

Last edited by f311fr1; 08-08-2005 at 04:47 PM. Reason: Addtional info
Old 08-08-2005, 06:25 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'mnot saying they are bad, The engineers report is where I got my information, I personnally like the boat and almost bought one,they just have some problems with the hull and your right the Konrad is perfect for the BT. I have tested the 460ec numerous times and my opinion is the boat is unstable and does'nt do well in rough water like at LOTO. Come down and ride in a Nortech and you compare, Wont cost you a dime and I'd like to say hi to you guys again. Dont take my comments the wrong way. Just try out and drive all the boats before you buy.
Old 08-08-2005, 10:29 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a few comments and not to be hard on anybodys boat,
The BT in my eyes is for the people that want the comforts of a cruiser but some speed also. I myself will have one on day just not ready yet. You cannot beat the head room or space that they have. Sure they might not ride the best but a CIG, Nortech , Outerlimits dont even come close for the cabin.
Pick the boat that is going to make the most sense for your needs. Each boat has its plus and minus. Just put a good drive on the boat and dont abuse it and learn the limits and it will be fine.
Old 08-09-2005, 07:09 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

The problem revolves around BT not wanting to rig with anything other than Bravos (IMCO/B-MAX). They are reluctant to rig another VI drive as well as Konrads. I tried to get one rigged with a Konrad years ago and they would not even consider the opportunity. Long story short, I dropped the deal and they hosed me on $$$. BT is not (IMHO) ethical and a company I would work with again in the future.
Old 08-09-2005, 05:03 PM
Banned

Disagree with you on the cabins. Come down and see the cabin my 50v Nortech, has every amenity the Black thunder does. plenty of heasdroom, i'm 6-4 and has a private suite with door in v berth, plasma tv, dvd, leather couches, Full head, shower, hot water, gen ac, heat, sink ref, icemaker, microwave, plenty of starage, xm satellite, table, fold out beds, sleeps 6, very nice mood lighting, etc. and i have all wood package and gold trim package, very nice.
Old 08-10-2005, 05:11 PM
Charter Member #1093
Charter Member

Wiggler, let's lay our cards on the table. You tell us your provable credentials, and I'll tell you mine, fair enough?
First, I'm biased. I own a Black Thunder along with a 55' Sea Ray and a couple of smaller boats. I've been boating for 46 years, and hold a 100 ton masters license. I hold 17 world speed records, including the current world record for Unlimited hydroplanes in competition, both overall race and lap average. (And actually 2005 is turning out pretty well, I'm currently leading in the the Drivers points championship) During the 80's and 90's I won more races in more different hydro classes (APBA) than any living driver, with some 550 race wins. Have served as an expert witnesss in fatal boating accident cases for either the plaintiff or defendant where hull design or driver error was brought into question. Since March of this year I joined the boat test team of Powerboat Magazine as a junior to lead tester Bob Teague. Boating is my passion, not my business.

In the pursuit of complete disclosure, The Black Thunder website shows me as a sales rep in Florida. however I do not and have never accepted a commission or fee of any kind from Black Thunder, their employees, agents or brokers. I Like my 43' triple engine Black Thunder and enjoy sharing that experience with others. I've been their boat show driver at the Miami show since 2000 and I guess in that time I've taken out some 50 or so different customers in the 46'. Many demo rides were just to good folks from OSO who were not potential customers, but wanted to see what the boat was like. Some of those were Sydwaz, Hebert Necessity, Chuck Sprague and others.

The 46' tall deck is most assuredly a high CG boat. Currently it rides much better with triples than twins. Yes indeed BT is working on improving the ride with twins and is making hull changes to insure a better product. The ultimate goal is a rock solid 70 MPH with twin 525's and a similar ride at 80+ with triple 525's.

My 43' runs in the low 90's at 5 PSI. Much of my boating time is spent in the Bahamas in virtually all conditions. I've run in 7-9's often (Not of choice, but neccesity) and never, ever experienced a hull failure.

As to Bravo failures, anyone who has ever owned a high performance boat with Bravos, has puked them. Whether it's behind a 502/415 HP or 700hp whippled 502's like mine. The reality is a 12,000 lb boat (BT) is a heavy boat and unless one is delicate on the sticks, you're going to blow drives. And Wiggler, go back thru OSO history, and you'll find a 50' Nortech out of Texas (4 engines) that blew Bravos faster than Carter made liver pills. Nortech's fault, absolutely not, the Bravo in that as in similar applications is a weak link.

As to BT not installing any other drive, that's not altogether true. They have installed #6's on a staggered 43 that ran over 109 at LOTO. They have installed Arnesons and B Max drives as well. Boomer, they will install a Konrad if you wish. Konrad, by the way, is an excellent outdrive and the Konrad folks are first rate in every respect.

The history of BT has been a super stable 43 flat deck, both stepped and non stepped, a 43 tall deck that is rock solid both stepped and un stepped and a 46 triple with an excellent ride and 46 tall deck twin that offers a good ride and is getting better with a commitment from BT to make it perfect.

As to their customer service, my experience and that of most BT owners I know, has been excellent with an unrelenting desire to serve their customers, whether you are an original buyer or used boat buyer.

Steve David
Old 08-10-2005, 05:41 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Steve, you seem to be one of the good guys in the business. I was only sharing my discussions I had with BT. In fact, you helped me with several questions on the BT years ago.

When I was looking, I was told that they would not rig another boat with Speedmaster drives in a EC version, as the engine bay was too tight.

While BT may now be open to installing Konrad drives, they were not open to the idea a few years ago. They informed me that they did not want the transmissions in boxes (as it would throw off the CG), and they did not want to move the twin enging application forward (to accomodate the trans) as it would again throw off the CG.

Since there was no 'solution' and I had been working on this for over a year, I dropped the deal. The manangement of BT did not work with ME on MY deal. I hope I was the exception to dealing with customers, rather than the rule.
Old 08-11-2005, 12:17 PM
Banned

Nice credentials, but that has nothing to do with the ride of the BT, 43 rides very good, 46 does not simple, period. I say if you like the boat then buy it, just test all comparible boats thats all. enough said. just stating facts, also most of the brokerrs at loto will tell you they are hard to resale and dont hold value well, again just facts from others, not my opinion on any of my posts. good luck