Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Boating Safety
How many people on this site have been in a boating accident? >

How many people on this site have been in a boating accident?

Notices

How many people on this site have been in a boating accident?

Old 11-02-2006, 02:44 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: How many people on this site have been in a boating accident?

i been involve directly in 89 accidents, but i see many others, from the air you see a lot
Old 11-02-2006, 02:48 PM
Registered

Never and I like it that way. Never even seen someone else.
Old 11-04-2006, 05:07 PM
Registered

I was in one as a kid many years ago, when our Sea Ray 300 collided with an unlit moored sailboat at night. Luckily we were only slightly above idle. It was amazing how little damage was done overall. the sailboat needed work, but aside from the bowring being bent on our hull, only minor scratches...how's that for Sea-Ray quality!

I have also observed 2 in my time on the water. One was a gas explosion , luckily everyone was rescued, and the boat sank before our very eyes...The other one was while I was working at a historic site years ago. A sailboat hit a powerboat and the sound of the impact echoed all throughout the bay
Old 11-06-2006, 03:27 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

About 10 Yrs Ago We Lost A Steering Cable. As Soon As It Happened We Chopped The Throttle And Still Went 60ft Into The Marsh. No One Was Hurt And No Damage To The Boat.
Old 11-06-2006, 05:49 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by sleeper_dave
Another accident in the news this summer involved a drunk hitting a guy and his kid in a 25 nova close to head on. The kid was in the cabin and ended up in the water. There was no "big hole" in the front of the boat, it appeared the hull and deck separated during the collision and the kid went through the hole. He wasn't found until the next morning. If the hull and deck had been one piece, the kid would have most likely remained in the boat, and may have survived. Instead, the father was frantically searching the water for his son, and could not find him until the next day.
Another drunk, why am I not surprised.
It never ceases to amaze me how many people think they can get drunk and operate heavy machinery.
I wish the drunk would have died instead of the poor kid.
Old 11-07-2006, 08:32 AM
Registered

there i was minding my own dad gum business cruising about 50 mph in my 357 formula there was a jet boat running just out front of me about 200 ft off my port with a perfect rooster tail when my boat just shook and something went over my head i pulled the throttles back and looked around and saw a jet ski about 50 ft off to my port with no rider about 50 ft to my starboard was a man floating face down i dropped my water bottle and spun the boat around and came along side him i had already dialed 911 i was about to jump in when he rolled over and said that was the biggest f-n wake i he had ever seen that's when i told him he hit me mid hull and flipped over my boat fish and game got this story he has heading out to jump the jet boats wake and then jump mine when he went thought the rooster tail of the jet boat he closed his eye's and ran right into me 1st jet ski i ever saw with full ins. paid to perfectly rep. my boat $6972.00 all in all could have been worse most of all nobody got hurt
Old 11-07-2006, 11:56 AM
Registered

Passenger in my friends Bayliner when it backfired and had a mini-explosion. We both got off un-scaved and learned Bayliners burn pretty darn fast!!!!
Old 11-08-2006, 11:37 PM
Rob
VIP Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

20years ago in my old Scarab had a GD jet ski try to jump my wake, He hit the side of the boat 1 foot from the rear.He all most made it. He told the cops I ran over him if I knew he was going to say that Id left him in the water and owned a jet ski

The Only Time You Have To Much Ammo Is When Your Swimming Or On Fire.

Last edited by Strip Poker 388; 11-08-2006 at 11:47 PM.
Old 11-08-2006, 11:46 PM
Rob
VIP Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by drdread
Let me t-bone your Fountain with my Baja 405 and see who has the most damage....................

Originally Posted by sleeper_dave
It would probably hurt your boat a lot more than you think, and mine, not nearly as much. You'd probably skip right over the top, probably wouldn't touch anything below the rubrail unless a drive smacked it. And it doesn't take a very big hole in the hull to sink a boat, you better hit my boat directly with the keel or you're going down.

I would bet it would cave in the side as it went over it,just like it would most boats.Just think of a Eliminator in TX

The Only Time You Have To Much Ammo Is When Your Swimming Or On Fire.
Old 11-16-2006, 09:09 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 817 Likes on 374 Posts

14 years ago I had a 25-30 ft boat cut me off while I cruised paralell to shore in my 17'9" cobra jet open bow jet boat. The guys in the other boat were not looking AT ALL were they were driving (drunk as skunks),they turned suddenly and eratically in front of me for no apparent reason,bent my bow rail and my bow poked a hole in the side of their boat even though I put in in reverse and held it wide open taking about 300 gallons of water over the bow. They didn't want to get arrested so they said "don't worry about it before they limped off while everyone in my boat frantically bailed water out and I kept the engine running (motor was under water to the valve covers). I didn't have anywhere to turn to avoid them without hitting a dock either because I was watching them running paralell to me and I kept moving closer to shore to keep from getting too close,then they suddenly turned in my path. In hind sight I should have just slowed down and cut acrossed behind them before it got to where it ended but you live and learn.It took a new bow rail to fix my boat and the nose wasn't so pretty anymore but there boat had a 1 foot hole punched in the side of it,Smitty
Attached Thumbnails How many people on this site have been in a boating accident?-copy-2-scan0018.jpg  

Last edited by articfriends; 11-16-2006 at 09:12 AM.

Quick Reply: How many people on this site have been in a boating accident?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.