Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Boating Safety
How many people on this site have been in a boating accident? >

How many people on this site have been in a boating accident?

Notices

How many people on this site have been in a boating accident?

Old 12-26-2006, 01:55 PM
AT Cult Member #3
VIP Member

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: How many people on this site have been in a boating accident?

Holy Crap!!!!! Is the wife ok?
Old 12-27-2006, 06:22 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was violently ejected in 1999 /APBA Worlds at WOT. One week later in Daytona Beach my brother, myself and two other people were in my race boat boat jumping waves in the inlet. We were going 35-40 mph max and my brother breaks his back. Damn near paralyzed him. Today he's ok. Rough sport but I still love it!
Old 12-28-2006, 06:23 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by R Addiction
Holy Crap!!!!! Is the wife ok?
Monica is fine thanks for asking. She has a little scarring on her neck. Good thing she didn't inhale the flame could have been a whole lot worse. But it took 10 years to get over it .
But a ride on Bob's Predator is what it took to get the thrill back . Thanks again Bobthebuilder.
Old 12-28-2006, 09:26 PM
AT Cult Member #3
VIP Member

Glad to hear she and the family are ok......and you got the Sickness back!!
Old 12-31-2006, 09:29 AM
AT Cult Member #3
VIP Member

Originally Posted by phragle
yes sir I did! and Im in the red shirt!!

and most of the sailboats I have raced have motors and are capable of going offshore so..

And your point? Still a sailboat
Old 01-10-2007, 07:21 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sleeper_dave
To answer my own question in this thread, yea, i've wrecked. T-boned a 31 sea-ray amberjack this summer at about 33 mph. Middle of the night. Nobody hurt.

Totaled the sea-ray, mostly cosmetic damage on my fountain, 4-5 small areas needed fiberglass work (maybe 4 square ft total). Sea-ray was an $84k total loss.

I had right of way, but i didn't see the boat until i hit him. He was going about 20 mph from my left to my right, i was at a slow cruise, probably about 33 mph. My money says he had no lights on, but if i'd seen a boat with no lights on i wouldn't have have hit it, and the "bang" was certainly enough to remind him to hit the switch. He was adamant that he had his lights on, even though i never accused him of having them off, so i'm pretty sure he didn't have them on.

We exchanged info, he said he didn't want to involve police and that he wasn't taking on water and still had propulsion, i didn't know the condition of my boat at the time so i headed for shore, as did he. He turned around and called it in as a hit and run half an hour later, when he realized that he WAS taking on water, and said he was dead in the water when some guy in a go fast "ran right over" his boat. Admitted to the cop that he had "a couple" drinks and still wasn't tested. Cop believed him and wrote me a ticket.

Insurance company did an investigation and found the other guy at fault. It was plainly obvious, even to an untrained eye, that he was lying, based on the damage. Lawyer said i could beat the ticket but i didn't want to see his bill for it, so i plead to it and it goes away in 6 months.

i don't like running at night anymore.

The thread in the general forum about the recent boating accident, as well as the other high-profile accidents i've read about this summer, got me wondering how many people here have actually been involved in accidents.

you're funny

all i said was that baja's are not nearly the same quality as a fountain. i stand by that. Most anybody that's spent any amount of time dealing with offshores, or even just boats in general, will tell you that.

Baja's are made by the same company as the Sea-Ray I hit. My Fountain suffered no structural damage, the Sea-Ray split along the hull and deck, cracked between the hullsides and bottom, and had structural damage more than 5 feet from any area I hit. If i'd been in a Baja i'd probably have had a bit of a swim that night.
gee I do't see kevlar used in fountains baja uses it in high stress areas your boat made out better because you hit dead on if it was 2 fountains the other would have more damage then you!! still.
Old 01-11-2007, 07:12 AM
Registered

(3) Out Fishin in Main in 16" Aluminum, Water started to get a little snotty, so we headed in. Driver was Standing to see over the bow (Bout half throttle) When he noticed the Extention Handle on the outboard had Fallen Off. The Motor hooked a 90degree and threw Driver out, Also pinned me to the side (was sitting in middle- center of gravity) Buddy in the nose Fell out whacked face on Bow and Drug under the boat. WHen the motor shut off I knew it wasnt good. Ran to the back of the boat to see Bloody water. Driver popped up about 250' Away, but guy that fell from the fron was pulled face first into the prop. His Shirt had pulled him in and was tangled into the prop. I Leaned over and loosened his shirt and pulled him into the boat. I Couldnt tell the severity of the wounds, but knew it was bad. Prop got him 7 times across the face, and 9 times across the chest Got him to shore and to an Indian Reserve Hospital in the middle of nowhere, till we could transfer him to a regional Med Center. He is Still alive, and had alot of plastic Surgery but if anyone panicked he would have certainly died. In defense of the driver THER WAS NO ALCHOHOL INVOLVED and thier was not a kill swich on the outboard. We were all cleared from the game warden and local police and the accident was demmed as such.
Old 01-11-2007, 08:31 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by phragle
yes sir I did! and Im in the red shirt!!

and most of the sailboats I have raced have motors and are capable of going offshore so..

Boat name: Menace to Sobriety.

Nice.
Old 01-23-2007, 07:14 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Not to date thank you lord. Got to drink more warter, their are people on board that think I will get them home saftly.
Old 01-24-2007, 02:15 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by AIR TIME
gee I do't see kevlar used in fountains baja uses it in high stress areas your boat made out better because you hit dead on if it was 2 fountains the other would have more damage then you!! still.
And if it were two baja's both would have sunk.

get over it and stop crapping up this thread.

When i was a kid, say 15 years ago, there were a crapload more baja's on this lake than fountains. Now, for some reason, there are a crapload more 15 year old fountains than 15 year old bajas. Gee I wonder why. Last Baja I tied up to had some really nasty stress cracks, through the fiberglass, not just the gelcoat, in structural areas of the boat. And it was newer than mine. Enjoy your boat, but if you buy a bayliner don't pretend it has the quality of a viking.

Type of materials are largely irrelevant to strength and quality if used properly (within reason... obviously kevlar vs. silly putty will have a serious impact). Their proper use, in proper quantities, is what makes a quality product. Does Baja laminate the hull to deck joint on all of their production boats? Fountain does, and that's what saved my ass, no question about it. Sea-ray doesn't, and that's a major reason that boat was totaled.

This is the boat I hit:

I'm no fiberglass expert, but i only see one layer of anything structural.

See how far from the point of impact the hull to deck joint is separated? All the way across the transom... and further forward under the rubrail at least far enough for that arch to pop up, because my boat didn't touch the arch.

Last edited by sleeper_dave; 01-24-2007 at 02:39 PM.

Quick Reply: How many people on this site have been in a boating accident?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.