Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JB4Boyne
To........Been Headwrecked
That's a GOOD ONE!!!
Old 06-08-2008, 10:24 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Ben@SRP
On December 30, 2005 on our second day of our 11 day vacation while is the BVI’s, I was snorkeling in a protected dive area with a dive flag displayed; I was run over a drunk guy who was a German boat captain in his 12’ rigid inflatable hull. The skeg of the outboard impacted me directly centered in my forehead and then the prop hit me twice and cut into my skull and once on my back as the boat continued directly overtop of me. I was left with over 14” of laceration over my skull and a 6” gash on my right rear shoulder and a torn muscle in my shoulder. I was not knocked out and I maintained consciousness the entire time. If all of that wasn’t bad enough, when they tried to sew me up in the hospital in Tortola, BVI they had no Lidocane and they used what looked like “yarn” for suturey. The stitches were so bad that they had to all be cut out and removed the next day on the balcony of my hotel by my best friend (who happened to be an ex-trauma surgeon) who was with us for the trip to the BVI’s. Oh, and he happened to travel with his own Suture Kit and had Lidocane too… So while sitting in a chair on the balcony of my hotel, with my girlfriend Laura at my side acting as his nurse, my buddy cut out and redid all of the stitches in my head or at least until he ran out of thread. And thanks to him, I did not scar very badly at all.
And so you ask what happened to the German guy who ran me over? Well he was arrested, charged with reckless operation of a vessel that caused injury and was given a $500 fine and released! You gotta love the Law in “International Waters”…

But, I did get to keep my life… So that was WAY COOL!!!

Care to see: http://www.benhedrick.com/accident.htm

So believe me, I feel for this girl… Props HURT!!!
Unreal story, glad you made it. Very impressed with the pictures.. I'm an x special ops and that s#!t still looks impressive - good work by your buddy!
Old 06-09-2008, 12:16 AM
Registered

Received 78 Likes on 47 Posts

Thankfully she wasn't killed! In 1978 a high school classmate of mine was riding on the bow of a ski boat only I think he may have been sitting on the edge. As they were attempting to pull up a skier the skier suddenly fell and the boat immediately lunged forward and John lost his balance and fell over board. Unfortunately, his head was hit by the prop and it killed him.

Ironically, John was something like 12th in the World in the "Butterfly Stroke" and was being eyed for the U.S. Olympic Swim Team. He still holds the High School record since 1977 at the St. Joseph High School in St. Joseph, Michigan. A memorial plaque with his picture and some writings about his life has been hung on the wall in the school's pool room. (I cannot remember the correct word for the pool room---???)
Old 07-03-2008, 10:03 AM
Registered

A guy almost got killed by a prop in Muscamoot bay in Lake St. Clair not last weekend but the weekend before. They were pulling the boat into deeper water, one guy in front one guy in back, the boat was either idling in neutral or someone on the boat started it, then someone accidently bumped it into reverse. Cut the guys femoral artery, he was airlifted to the hospital and survived, but the last story I read wasn't clear on whether he'd lose his leg or not, it was still up in the air. They say 10 minutes more delay and he'd have been done, luckily an off-duty sheriff and a nurse knew what to do in the meantime to save his life.
Old 07-03-2008, 04:31 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sleeper_dave
the boat was either idling in neutral or someone on the boat started it, then someone accidently bumped it into reverse. .
Wow, How dumb can you get. In the water next to the boat and the motor is running. Sorry that that guy had to get hurt.
Old 07-07-2008, 03:26 PM
Registered

In the water BEHIND the boat. Even worse.

I see it every weekend. Boats tie off in two long lines, back to back, and the "gauntlet" is in the middle, where the party is at. People start their engines to recharge their batteries or to just show off, and there are people all over behind them.
Old 07-08-2008, 09:35 AM
Were doomed!
Charter Member

Received 947 Likes on 476 Posts

Years back, a guy i had met met through a good friend that lives in Tampa was boating with his wife on a lake down there...alcohol was involved and during their trip the guy decided to take a VERY sharp turn. I've been on the boat with this idiot before when he has done it....turns it sharp enough that it feels like the water will spill into the boat over the back corners!!! anyway the boat hooked....both were ejected into the water...no lanyard...boat comes back around and hit the wife and kills her...now live with that for the rest of your life!!! Sad thing is he has not changed one bit as far as i know...still drinks and is just as stupid...

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy horsepower. And I've never seen a sad person hauling a$$!
Old 07-09-2008, 07:49 AM
Registered

I see idiotic things like this all the time. In Pa. you are allowed to sit on the bow if there is a bow rail. I would never let anyone do this but there are plenty of people that allow their kids to sit up there while bouncing through the waves. I also tell people not to jump in the water directly behind the boat because of the prop. Ive seen a few nice cuts from those over the years.
Old 07-09-2008, 01:51 PM
Registered

I just saw a ski boat with a bunch of teenagers and adults idleling through the channel and one of the kids (15-16) must of been hot and lowers himself off the back of the boat and drags along holding on to the ladder with no life jacket on. Now I think it was an inboard or v-drive and that prop could not have been more that a foot or less from him. Not to mention it is a very busy channel with many boats. If that kid fell off or the driver stopped the boat in a hurry, we would have been reading about him on this forum. No telling what would have been cut or chopped off.
Old 10-19-2008, 11:26 PM
Registered

riding the bow means that she was standing on the bow when this the man made the turn...or she was sitting in the bow of the boat...?

bow-riding...highly illegal

Quick Reply: Prop cuts her arm off !

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.