Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Boating Safety
Did I do something wrong? >

Did I do something wrong?

Notices

Did I do something wrong?

Old 07-09-2008, 07:25 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We tip the guys at Christmas. I've never noticed anyone tipping on a daily basis.
Old 07-12-2008, 05:16 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I use to rack store a boat about 5 years ago. I would give the guys 20 dollars everyday that I used their services. I think that is alot, but they will definately make sure your boat gets the attention and care it deserves. Just my .02
Old 07-12-2008, 03:47 PM
Registered

Received 482 Likes on 162 Posts

Remember grease makes the wheels turn smother
Old 07-13-2008, 11:58 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Cool The proper way to tip at the marina...

In my experience, first and formost the person or persons charged with the most responsibility get the tip. If between them they wish to split it up then so be it. Namely the forklift operator(s) and their immediate associate(s). Typically on a busy Friday, Saturday & Sunday the F/L driver won't get to take a lunch and certainly won't be able to render assistance on the fuel dock where most tips are made. Those tips need not be made every time as the F/L operator always knows who he can count on and when. Just be regular about it, every 2nd or 3rd time will keep them happy. Definitely never, never, never, give an operator just a dollar or two. They know how much you've got in your boat, if you can't front them a decent tip don't expect to pull rank when you bring your harem down to the marina for a boat ride, you will wait, and wait, and wait, and wait... Get the picture?

A good rule of thumb for tipping these service personnel is to mutiply the length of your boat by 50% (that's .5 not .05) or roughly half of your boats length, that is your approximate tip amount. Let them decide how it gets divided, remember that in general the F/L operators don't get to the gas docks to make tip money from those folks, so what you hand them is what they usually see. But they also make a higher wage than the dockhands.

They definitely show a preference for generous boat owners and have always gone out of their way for me and my Jon boat.

Last edited by Trippin; 07-14-2008 at 12:16 AM.
Old 07-14-2008, 09:57 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Trippin
In my experience, first and formost the person or persons charged with the most responsibility get the tip. If between them they wish to split it up then so be it. Namely the forklift operator(s) and their immediate associate(s). Typically on a busy Friday, Saturday & Sunday the F/L driver won't get to take a lunch and certainly won't be able to render assistance on the fuel dock where most tips are made. Those tips need not be made every time as the F/L operator always knows who he can count on and when. Just be regular about it, every 2nd or 3rd time will keep them happy. Definitely never, never, never, give an operator just a dollar or two. They know how much you've got in your boat, if you can't front them a decent tip don't expect to pull rank when you bring your harem down to the marina for a boat ride, you will wait, and wait, and wait, and wait... Get the picture?

A good rule of thumb for tipping these service personnel is to mutiply the length of your boat by 50% (that's .5 not .05) or roughly half of your boats length, that is your approximate tip amount. Let them decide how it gets divided, remember that in general the F/L operators don't get to the gas docks to make tip money from those folks, so what you hand them is what they usually see. But they also make a higher wage than the dockhands.

They definitely show a preference for generous boat owners and have always gone out of their way for me and my Jon boat.

Good Post! This is how we have been doing it and the lift operaters and dock hands take excellent care of us and our boat.
Old 07-14-2008, 03:14 PM
Registered

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

Don't tip 'em too well - or else they will want to park your car for you, too....

Old 07-15-2008, 01:05 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

good thread, but to late to help me, we no longer rack. But I guess it explains why we always felt the hi low drivers did not care for us We never even thought of tipping them, and I don't recall ever seeing them get tipped.

Tipping is sort of odd, some times it is so clear cut and yet at other times it would never dawn on me.
Old 07-15-2008, 02:06 PM
Registered

The advice we got was word of mouth from other boat owners. There was no clear cut signs that said tipping was allowed. I never saw anyone tip the guys. A buddy of mine that has his boat at the same marina as us saw us waiting one day and kind of nonchalantly told us about the practice. Best advice we got. After getting to know the lift operators, good advice to be friends and treat these guys nicely, we found out that they make an OK salary, but depend on the tips to make ends meet.
Old 07-17-2008, 01:47 AM
Registered

Location: Ocean Pines, Maryland. Wish I was at MANGOS in MIAMI!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I always tip......years ago I started out working at a yard and trust me it' s hard work.

At the Marina I deal with I have established a friendship with these guys as most customers there have. They go out of there way to make sure they fit me in their schedule....I have called on them several times with no warning and they have always gone out of their way to haul me out and put me back in.

Naturally they refuse the tip but I give it to them anyway.

I'm sure by not giving them a tip you did no harm. These guys understand that not everyone walks around with wads of money......me included so they always refuse knowing I am working class.

But I think of it like this. My boat is one of the most important things to me. I appreciate their proffessionalism and courtesy and I now that they often deal with people that don't appreciate them so it's another way of saying thanks.

And on that note heres to the crew at Sunset Marina in Ocean City Maryland Thanks Dave, Tim,Barbara, JR and Brian always a pleasure!!
Attached Thumbnails Did I do something wrong?-z3.jpg   Did I do something wrong?-z4.jpg   Did I do something wrong?-z7.jpg  

Old 07-17-2008, 08:47 AM
Registered

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

Enforcer - they just take good care of you because you boat is so badazz...

Quick Reply: Did I do something wrong?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.