Another fatality involving a "cigarette" boat

Notices

Another fatality involving a "cigarette" boat

Old 08-12-2008, 04:08 AM
the Flightmaster
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That is very sad news.

It is difficult to find the right way to avoid this sort thing happening. There are so many (not immediately dangerous appearing) factors involved.

Obviously a mandatory boat license (and instruction in common sense matters) would be of help, but anywhere where traffic density builds up it is amazing how quickly incidents can escalate, even when well educated and experienced drivers are involved.

Over here in Germany, the driving license for a road vehicle involves alot of thoery and practical hours. One of the areas covered is learning how accidents happen based on incident dokumentation.
Learning from the mistakes of others helps, but still it is shocking to see how many bikers have been scraped off the road by sunday evening, every summer weekend.

The only reason that less boating accidents happen than road accidents is because of lower traffic density. However, the waterways are becoming busier, every year, as more and more people seek the freedom that the open highway can no longer offer.

Making the driver of a boat aware that they are operating something far more dangerous than a handgun (one mistake can kill or injure several, at once) is what is needed.

But how do we do that?
Old 08-12-2008, 06:16 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by team Tickfaw
Was told driver of big boat passed 3 tests and were all zero's. If so, I commend him.
Very true. He had not had a sip of alcohol all day, blew 0.0s.
Old 08-12-2008, 06:43 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As a person who lives and boats on this particular body of water and is the owner of a "Cigarette Boat" I have to say it would be nice if the media would not make every accident on this body of water sound as if our local establishments and the large "Cigarette Boats" were responsible. My heart goes out to the families who have lost their loved ones. I am sure everyone read the article that was posted in the advocate Sunday. The first thing that was printed was "A 30' Cigarette boat runs over a small boat and kills two near Blind River Bar" Its a shame that these accidents have to happen. It would be nice if we could go ONE summer without a fatality on our waterways. All of US powerboat owners are labeled on the waterways in Louisiana as being Alcoholics who drive to fast and are reckless. when actually we are some of the most responsble ones on the waterways.
Old 08-12-2008, 07:59 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BarryB
As a person who lives and boats on this particular body of water and is the owner of a "Cigarette Boat" I have to say it would be nice if the media would not make every accident on this body of water sound as if our local establishments and the large "Cigarette Boats" were responsible.
Agreed, they interviewed a couple of residents along the Diversion Canal and most of them commented about speed and the size of the "Cigarette" boats running the waterway. After getting some first hand information yesterday, it seems neither speed nor the size of the boat had anything to do with it. A little common boating knowledge would have done wonders in this situation. Also, toxicology report is still pending on the driver of the runabout. Great to hear that the driver of the larger boat blew all zeros - kudos to him.

Originally Posted by BarryB
It would be nice if we could go ONE summer without a fatality on our waterways. All of US powerboat owners are labeled on the waterways in Louisiana as being Alcoholics who drive to fast and are reckless. when actually we are some of the most responsble ones on the waterways.
We were talking about this Sunday at a neighbor's house. We have at least one fatality each year on either side of the lake, or both. We've had to pull at least two people from the water with broken legs in the last two years due to one roll-over and one blow-over. Thankfully, we haven't had to pull a body from the water - yet. I can only imagine what not only the families of the deceased are going through, but also the driver of the larger boat. Imagine what he will see in his dreams for years to come. Kenny said it best in his post above - the safety of your passengers and the boats around you is paramount!! It's not about the show, it's about everyone getting home safely at the end of the day.
Old 08-12-2008, 01:05 PM
Registered

Thanks Croozin. Was doing a google search on this last nite and a LSU forum had alot of talk about it. Can't remember the name........tiger something. Anyhow, as was mentioned above, majority of people posted slammed the big boat people. This is disturbing due to the fact that these same people will mentally put their "blinders" on and will not be able to learn anything from this. It is a shame and it seems it will let the cycle continue.
I am not picking sides because there are idiots driving 14' skiffs to 50' cruisers out there. Powerboats make great news. We are a minority in terms of ownership. Just look around, few people know very much about them other than what they heard or seen on the movies. Kind of like Harley riders were in the 70's, before they were "cool" to have. I know cause I was once one of them. Bikers on loud Harleys made great news.
As far as speed limits go on the rivers if I am not mistaken there are state laws on speed limits on waterways and I was told we have them, but just like our noise ordanance law in the state, they are not inforced. Boaters safety course is a joke. I mean I guess it is better than nothing, but not much. Anyone knows when they go in, their coming out with a certificate.
I was also told the one young man they were looking for was found yesterday. I hope so. Lea looked at the pictures of the person's involved several times hoping she did not recognize them from Sun Buns. She did not.
Croozin we came by sunday on the boat looking for you, think we woke Kitty up from her nap as we came by makin all that racket and spoke to her. We will try some other time.
Keep us posted on the condition of the young man and the investigation. Last nite I was told that they have him in a drug induced coma due to swelling of the brain.
Stay safe out there and keep these families in your thoughts as you you take to the waterways.
Old 08-12-2008, 01:10 PM
Registered

Sorry we missed y'all. I was out front in the driveway cleaning on the boat getting ready for Emerald Coast. Boat has been out of the water since last weekend. That way I wasn't tempted to take a ride this weekend when I should've been cleaning and changing oil!
Old 08-12-2008, 01:20 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by team Tickfaw
Thanks Croozin. Was doing a google search on this last nite and a LSU forum had alot of talk about it. Can't remember the name........tiger something. Anyhow, as was mentioned above, majority of people posted slammed the big boat people.
Was it Tiger Droppings by any chance? If they're blaming the big boat in this case I'll go over there and pick a fight.
Old 08-12-2008, 01:40 PM
Registered

People are required to get driver's license for cars and everyday, look how many car accidents there are. I do think anyone who owns a boat should be required to take a mandatory boating safety course. I took one three years ago and want to take it again. I think it should be mandatory to retake the safety course every three years too. I know many will disagree.

I personally don't think there will be any laws passed that will result in zero deaths on the water, regardless if you're on a PWC, small boat, cruiser or high performance boat.

It's tragic when someone dies, regardless if it's on the water or on our roads. This incident is no less tragic.

I'm a fairly new boater. This is my sixth summer on the water. My friends all laugh at me and call me "Safety First Barbie", but I do watch like a hawk for logs, smaller boats, PWC's, all other boats and when we do occasionally run at night, I'm petrified until I get into our lift.

I do wish there were more laws so that you just can't purchase a boat in the morning and put it in the water that afternoon.

Talk about ignorant.
Old 08-12-2008, 02:01 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by jmeng
Was it Tiger Droppings by any chance? If they're blaming the big boat in this case I'll go over there and pick a fight.
Just Did!!!!!
Old 08-12-2008, 02:13 PM
Registered

Well I was gonna let it go since no one had responded since yesterday but might as well have some fun now.

Quick Reply: Another fatality involving a "cigarette" boat

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.