Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Boating Safety
Stuffed my 25 Outlaw last month in LI Sound >

Stuffed my 25 Outlaw last month in LI Sound

Notices

Stuffed my 25 Outlaw last month in LI Sound

Old 10-18-2009, 01:11 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did the same thing this summer, with FAR less tragic results, in a 24 ft Outlaw, believe it or not! I was boating in the St Lawrence river, I was driving and had my buddy and his wife with me, 2 ships where passing each other and I was between them, as you can imagine the water was really "confused", I was just nursing along about 10-15MPH and dropped into a trough and gave a little throttle to climb back out and the bow stuffed [about a foot] deep into the top of the wave, it happened SO fast at that speed I cant imagine what it was like at 60mph.

It was like slow motion! We all saw the water rolling up the bow/deck, but, what can you do? I grabbed the wheel with both hands as tight as I could and pushed myself back into the bolster, the water broke over the windshield, everyone got drenched, boat never missed a beat and we passed the ships and all was well, and then we laughed about it [got a few "thumbs up" from the ship on the Starboard side of us].

I was completely shocked at how HARD that little amount of water would hit you, it really punched me back when it hit and I was just crawling along.

I guess I agree with "both" answers on this post, 1] stuff happens REALLY fast and you can't always help it and 2] slow and safe is the smart way to go when its choppy, MUCH easier on the boat as well [-:

Michael

PS: I am also of the opinion that as much fun as it is to "show what you got" to your buddies, its much safer to take it easy with other people in the boat, especially women/kids [no offense!]
Old 10-18-2009, 10:17 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Showdown
very sorry to hear i my self have a 25 OL and at times run it hard and can see where this is very possible i would like to hear more about the conditions
Good question. Lessons learned from bad experiences are good for all of us. OSO professional azz lashing (that is a great line) serves no purpose. We are all human and make mistakes. The real mistake is NOT learning from them. Be thankful that he shared his experience. Many on here don't have to suffer the pains as he did of the learning experience.

kp7165. Prayers to your wife and friends for a full and quick recovery.
Old 10-19-2009, 09:00 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 393 Likes on 141 Posts

Hope your wife and friends are ok soon... I've done it a couple of times myself, and luckily no one got hurt, just lost $$ sunglasses. It just happened in a flash, I've learned to slow down when I have other people in the boat...
Take care,
Dean
Old 10-19-2009, 02:16 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lifeline jackets, only way to boat!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I run one in a capsule boat ,
1 for the drag boat
1 for the offshore boat.

Thats 3 different jackets, but you can not put a price on someones life.

PS: Passengers included.

Good luck, it's like falling off a horse.
Get back on or you never will.

Wish all a full recovery.
Old 10-21-2009, 09:46 AM
Registered

Been close few times too.

The water is always changing especially in LI sound.

Your always going to PUSH things a little bit and I have certainly had the waves splitting the bow 3 inches back on the way home from claudios before.

I run a 26 sutphen and know that size boat will handle alot but its still on the edge of bieng small in the sound.

Good luck to every one who was on board and dont sweat it.
We all get in bad situations. Sometimes you win and sometimes you dont.

I am willing to bet everyone on here has pushed the envelope to a point where they almost had an issue at one time or another.
Old 10-23-2009, 03:08 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

KP- The only vests I am aware of with protection are not life vests but made for Equestrian (horse) riders. There is a protective vest that has a energy absorbing shell. This is so when riders are going over jumps if they are thrown they have body protection. I do not know if they are waterproof though. Hope this helps.

Guys, he aseked a question, let's not be judgemental. I applaud him for looking for safety equipment.

Wannabe
Old 10-23-2009, 03:23 PM
Registered

Sorry to hear this story . Bad things can happen at any time to anyone at any level.And you never know when you might come up on something in the water unexpectadly ( waves , wakes , logs ,debris etc.. ) I hope your wife makes a full recovery.

Back in my jet ski days " Jet Pilot " used to make chest protector type life vest designed for riding stand-up skis.

If anything it will hopefully make her feel better about getting back on the horse.
Old 10-25-2009, 01:20 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Guys, he aseked a question, let's not be judgemental. I applaud him for looking for safety equipment.

agreed....like none of these guys have been cought off guard by a wake or wave...
Old 10-25-2009, 01:51 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,824 Likes on 909 Posts

Buying a PFD with hard trauma plate is the not going to solve his issues. Looking for safety measures is a good thing, but safety needs to start with the driver.
Old 10-25-2009, 10:15 AM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by GB
X3
X4

The guy came hear for advice not a tongue lashing!

I hope everyone heals up OK and this doesnt ruin boating for you or you family! Good Luck!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.