Notices

iPhones and H20

Old 05-28-2012, 12:21 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default iPhones and H20

I jumped off a friend's sailboat with a 1/2" line in hand only to misjudge the width of the dock and the speed of the sailboat (I always stop my boat before anyone jumps onto the dock, still my bad). I was holding on to the middle of the line instead of the end. After landing the speed of the boat tightened the rope up before I reacted and pulled me forward into a roll that landed me in the water. My iPhone was in my inside jacket pocket and I pulled myself back up on the dock in a fraction of a second. My iPhone and wallet were only damp. I'm heading to the Apple Store this morning but all indications are the phone (naturally a new 4S-64GB) is toast. My next phone will be in some sort of a waterproof case and stay onboard the boat (not in my pocket) until the boat is tied securely. The purpose of this message is to let all know that iPhones do not seem to tolerate any water. In case you were wondering, no drinking was involved in this mishap. Just bad luck.
Old 05-28-2012, 12:29 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They will not warranty water damage I think. Not 100% on that though. An Iphone has water indicator stickers throughout the whole thing. If you want to try and fix it, take the back cover off and lay the phone in a bag of rice.
Old 05-28-2012, 12:41 PM
Lee
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 26 Likes on 7 Posts

http://www.hzoinside.com/
Old 05-28-2012, 12:53 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Life proof cases work great! Have also heard that the rice trick works!
Old 05-28-2012, 04:10 PM
Registered

The older iphones were more water resistant than the new model...

The dunk in 95% alchol works too (dries very quickly).

You should take it apart asap and let it dry out. Should be ok once dried, then reassemble. If you wait, all terminals get corrosion, then it wont work anymore.
Old 05-28-2012, 07:45 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Went to the Apple Store and they confirmed the phone is toast. I have an appointment Wednesday to have it replaced for $200.00 which I thought was a fair price. I did not have the tools to take it apart at the time. We put it in rice when we got home many hours later but it was too late... I ordered a waterproof case today!
Old 05-28-2012, 07:49 PM
Registered

Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by hullofjustis
Life proof cases work great! Have also heard that the rice trick works!
x2! let it sit in the rice a couple days and plug it into your comp and usually they will turn back on
Old 05-28-2012, 08:15 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

who's waterproof case?
Old 05-28-2012, 08:42 PM
Registered

Yeah you might as well let it sit in the rice then give it a charge... You never know!

Ive got an otter case for mine. It lasted all of 3 hours from new without a case. Dropped it on the sidewalk, bounced off my foot before hitting concrete, i never would have thought it would have broken the screen. Now its got the otter with new screen. Otter is not completely water proof.
Old 05-29-2012, 11:32 AM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

I've gotten a few phones wet and all of them have been resurrected. I did the rice trick but what seemed to work quicker was a WARM oven. I would pull the battery and turn the oven on for a few minutes. Just let it get warm(90-100* or so) and put the phone in there for a few hours. Take the phone out and repeat.

The key thing is to pull the battery immediately!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.