paddle boat question >

paddle boat question

Notices

paddle boat question

Old 06-04-2012, 10:49 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default paddle boat question

So my oldest daughter last month said to me ( hay dad why don't we put a motor on the paddle boat ) and my answers was OK. We have a small lake 648 acres at are cabin were we like to run the jet skis and paddle boat. So I made a steel transom plate to put a 2-1/2 hp OB on that weights 40lbs. My question is should this be safe for the kids to play with? or is this a bad idea? On holiday weekends the lake will see 2ft waves and just want to make sure the kids will be safe. Not sure if the boat will be in balance with the OB on back.
Old 06-05-2012, 12:28 PM
Registered

Received 283 Likes on 170 Posts

I've seen them with trolling motors. The boat could get swamped with the extra weight and faster speeds in rough water. IMO daddy needs to ditch the padel boat and buy him a 13 or 15 whaler or wahoo.
Old 06-06-2012, 07:50 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The boats I have seen are rated at up to 2 h.p. I would make sure the kids (you didn't mention ages so please don't take offense) understand the concept of a turning prop and what harm it could do. I'd be tempted not to use the paddle boat unless it was calm. 2 footers throw my 10'2" inflatable around like crazy. There was a recent article in Boat US about an inflatable owner who was tossed out of his ride (traveling too fast for conditions). I brought my son up around Jetskis, the boat, and ATVs so I totally understand wanting to provide experiences for your children. The last thing we want is to see them get hurt.
Old 06-06-2012, 11:20 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It will be for my oldest 16 year old, that has been on boats and jetskies and atv since age 5, but still a concern.
Old 06-07-2012, 11:27 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Even most small outboards have kill lanyards.
I know my 2.5 Yamaha does.
Teach your family the importance of their use.
A spinning prop is a spinning prop, no matter the engine size.

Otherwise, give it try, go for a run yourself.
You'll soon decide if it's a good idea or not.
Old 06-07-2012, 12:31 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rfgonzo
So my oldest daughter last month said to me ( hay dad why don't we put a motor on the paddle boat ) and my answers was OK.
This is whats wrong with kids these days!! It's a paddle boat so pedal!!!!!!!!
Old 06-08-2012, 12:56 PM
Registered

Received 283 Likes on 170 Posts

When I was 16 I was driving around a 24 sea ray cuddy by myself........ I could handle that boat better than my parents. Kids can pick it up faster and better than their parents.