Like Tree0Likes

Fire Extinguisher expiration

Old 07-28-2013, 10:23 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

My Boats: 1991 Fountain 32 fever
Default Fire Extinguisher expiration

I was out yesterday got stopped to do a safety inspection (presumably after the DNR constitution burning party). Apparently, according to the DNR one of my fire extinguishers is expired. I have never heard of this so I looked it up and under Utah law a disposable fire extinguisher expires 12 years from its manufacture. What I do not understand is how one would know if it is disposable? There is a sticker says made in 1993, coast guard approved etc, but does not say disposable. anyone know?
Old 07-28-2013, 10:46 AM
Registered

My Boats: Old Heavy Resin Sled with Bravos ("Really That Won't Work") Sleeps 4 Adults, Slow Turd!

If anything like PWC extinguishers the dates are on the bottom of the tank. hope that helps!
Old 07-29-2013, 07:13 PM
Registered

dates are stamped on current extinguishers, but gauge reading trigger release need to be intact. the main thing that will screw you should you need to use it, is powder compacted. take extinguisher and on its side, rock it, can you feel powder flowing. if not turn upside down and shake, if powder does not break loose, it is bad extinguisher. when discharged get about 15 seconds of gas, no powder(agent). the gas is normally nitrogen=dry gas, rock test is best determination of condition of ext.. I have asked everybody that gets stopped by DNR, none have ever had them do rock test or can explain it to them, its regular maintenance for ext. local jag's consider installed(engine compartment) a portable ext., all they want is to write tickets, no education, hell they don't understand it actually themselves. I did boat inspections for first 10yrs in the coast guard, my job was to inform boaters for their safety, congress moved boating safety $ away from us to state DNR's, and they get power squadron/abyc/coast guard auxillary to do their training. sorry for rant.
Old 07-29-2013, 09:00 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

My Boats: 1991 Fountain 32 fever

I looked up he model number and indeed they do expire 12 years from manufacture. I guess the DNR gal was correct. Should be good now with a new one. Definitely something I want to work if I need it. Interestingly the powder inside I can feel still moves and gauge still in green.
Old 07-31-2013, 06:43 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

My Boats: 35 FOUNTAIN

Buy new ones and keep the old ones for spares. You can never have enough fire protection in the case of an emergency. If you have them mounted with a push -pull pin check the device to make sure you can get the extinguisher out. Had a big engine fire and the pin would not release. Luckily the auto system came on and slowed the fire down and a boater came by and gave his extinguisher to finish the job.
Old 07-31-2013, 10:01 PM
Registered

My Boats: 1999 Chris Craft,

I had no idea they expired, I always thought if the guage was green you were good too go. I will have to check mine .
Old 07-31-2013, 10:23 PM
Registered
Trade Score: (1)

My Boats: 1990 Baja 280 Sport & 1989 Scarab Sport

I usw the old ones to train my kids how to fire off an extinquisher!
Old 08-13-2013, 04:16 AM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by happy hours View Post
I had no idea they expired, I always thought if the guage was green you were good too go. I will have to check mine .
same here mate, i have will check mine too.
Old 08-17-2013, 09:27 AM
Registered

My Boats: 2000 35 Lightning, 98 29' fever (Sold), 23' Welcraft Nova (Sold), 18' Nitro, 17' Duckboat, 16' Crabbing boat (Sold)

Disposable extinguishers should have a plastic head on them. Ones with metal heads can be serviced/hydrostatic test and refilled and used for 12 more years.
Old 09-05-2014, 06:53 AM
Registered

You have to service extinguisher every year. or remember when you bought it. And from that date it's good for one year to avoid red flags from inspector.