Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   Boating Safety (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/boating-safety-200/)
-   -   REcommended safety courses (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/boating-safety/314894-recommended-safety-courses.html)

Barnacle Bill 07-08-2014 04:09 PM

REcommended safety courses

I just bought a 38' Excaliber and it'll be my first time with a high power boat and twin screws. I've got years of experience with small single engine boats on the rivers here in Jacksonville, FL and the intercoastal waterway in the Largo/St. Pete, FL area. I've also been sailing my whole life and learned open water sailing and various navigation skills (all non-GPS) as a kid in the bay of Naples, Italy and beyond when I was in my teens.

With that being said, I've got a good knowledge base to start with but want to know which courses are recommended. Should I get a Captains license incase I want to venture out into open waters or one day, far into the future, start chartering day cruises with all of the boats I have? If so, which is the best route to go? Is the online courses sufficient or would the class room instruction be much better? I was grandfathered in to the system here in FL and don't require the boaters license but I'm taking the online course anyway. Beyond that, which direction do you recommend I go from there?

Barnacle

Crude Intentions 07-08-2014 04:29 PM

One of the best and it will help with insurance is tres martins course. He will help teach you about a offshore performance and help you learn yours better. Not cheap but worth it from the words of many on here. I wouldn't get a license unless you decide to charter it. Makes you legally more liable and costs money that you don't need to spend if not using it

Crude Intentions 07-08-2014 04:30 PM

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/g...-calendar.html

Here's his thread with dates and locations. Also you can get info on his site

Barnacle Bill 07-08-2014 04:52 PM

Thank you. That is pricey, but looks like I need to start saving my allowance.

sy goldberg 07-11-2014 02:12 PM

Spend the money on the TRES MARTIN course,it's better than spending money on legal or medical bills.

commandersander 07-22-2014 05:51 PM

From my perspective.......

I too own several boats. With that, a requirement of a "licensed coast guard approved captain in good standing" must provide the orientation to the bare boat renter.......and that's exactly what I needed to become before I could get coverage.

With that, it is illegal to operate a vessel "for hire" without proper coastguard licensing.

I am 44, and started boating as a competitive water skier at 6. When I realized the requirements for my insurance and liability, I signed up with sea school.

In my time, I have had no less than 20, but more like 30 boats.

You would be amazed at what you DON'T know.

mspdoc 07-22-2014 11:04 PM

I just went through the Tres Martin School 2 months ago. I liked it a lot. Ask all the questions you want!. The topic that I wanted to really know better was hydrodynamics. Great stuff. As a professional pilot used to learning aerodynamics it was the information I needed to know operating a performance boat. If you are even mildly thinking about it..... take it...... your knowledge and skill sets wil be much better and safer.

gordyd4 07-24-2014 10:40 AM

What other courses are available besides Tres Martin.

BenPerfected 05-05-2015 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by gordyd4 (Post 4159186)
What other courses are available besides Tres Martin.

Golf....much safer than boating at high speed :D

RollWithIt 12-25-2015 08:33 AM

I will also vouch for Tres Martin's course. Took it this summer and learned a lot. It is a little bit pricey but well worth the money in the long run. Teaches you how to be a safer boater and not beat up your equipment running in an uncontrolled manner as well. But I am sure there are many other recognized coursed you can take until you can put together the cash for his course. Anything of a structured nature with certified instructors is a good start.