REcommended safety courses >

REcommended safety courses

Notices

REcommended safety courses

Old 07-08-2014, 04:09 PM
Registered

Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts
Default REcommended safety courses

I just bought a 38' Excaliber and it'll be my first time with a high power boat and twin screws. I've got years of experience with small single engine boats on the rivers here in Jacksonville, FL and the intercoastal waterway in the Largo/St. Pete, FL area. I've also been sailing my whole life and learned open water sailing and various navigation skills (all non-GPS) as a kid in the bay of Naples, Italy and beyond when I was in my teens.

With that being said, I've got a good knowledge base to start with but want to know which courses are recommended. Should I get a Captains license incase I want to venture out into open waters or one day, far into the future, start chartering day cruises with all of the boats I have? If so, which is the best route to go? Is the online courses sufficient or would the class room instruction be much better? I was grandfathered in to the system here in FL and don't require the boaters license but I'm taking the online course anyway. Beyond that, which direction do you recommend I go from there?

Barnacle
Old 07-08-2014, 04:29 PM
Registered

Received 55 Likes on 34 Posts

One of the best and it will help with insurance is tres martins course. He will help teach you about a offshore performance and help you learn yours better. Not cheap but worth it from the words of many on here. I wouldn't get a license unless you decide to charter it. Makes you legally more liable and costs money that you don't need to spend if not using it
Old 07-08-2014, 04:30 PM
Registered

Received 55 Likes on 34 Posts

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/g...-calendar.html

Here's his thread with dates and locations. Also you can get info on his site
Old 07-08-2014, 04:52 PM
Registered

Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts

Thank you. That is pricey, but looks like I need to start saving my allowance.

Last edited by Barnacle Bill; 07-08-2014 at 04:54 PM.
Old 07-11-2014, 02:12 PM
Offshoreonly Advertiser
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Received 25 Likes on 12 Posts

Spend the money on the TRES MARTIN course,it's better than spending money on legal or medical bills.
Old 07-22-2014, 05:51 PM
Registered
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

From my perspective.......

I too own several boats. With that, a requirement of a "licensed coast guard approved captain in good standing" must provide the orientation to the bare boat renter.......and that's exactly what I needed to become before I could get coverage.

With that, it is illegal to operate a vessel "for hire" without proper coastguard licensing.

I am 44, and started boating as a competitive water skier at 6. When I realized the requirements for my insurance and liability, I signed up with sea school.

In my time, I have had no less than 20, but more like 30 boats.

You would be amazed at what you DON'T know.
Old 07-22-2014, 11:04 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Cool

I just went through the Tres Martin School 2 months ago. I liked it a lot. Ask all the questions you want!. The topic that I wanted to really know better was hydrodynamics. Great stuff. As a professional pilot used to learning aerodynamics it was the information I needed to know operating a performance boat. If you are even mildly thinking about it..... take it...... your knowledge and skill sets wil be much better and safer.
Old 07-24-2014, 10:40 AM
Registered

What other courses are available besides Tres Martin.
Old 05-05-2015, 07:18 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by gordyd4
What other courses are available besides Tres Martin.
Golf....much safer than boating at high speed
Old 12-25-2015, 08:33 AM
Registered

I will also vouch for Tres Martin's course. Took it this summer and learned a lot. It is a little bit pricey but well worth the money in the long run. Teaches you how to be a safer boater and not beat up your equipment running in an uncontrolled manner as well. But I am sure there are many other recognized coursed you can take until you can put together the cash for his course. Anything of a structured nature with certified instructors is a good start.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.