Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Boating by Region > Caribbean
Bahama Fuel Stops? >

Bahama Fuel Stops?

Notices

Bahama Fuel Stops?

Old 05-15-2014, 06:07 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Or maybe have a port a potty as reserve and empty that tank when out at sea.
Old 05-15-2014, 12:52 PM
Charter Member#157
Charter Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Install an inline ball valve! Between the drive and the strainer or raw pump.
Just make sure it has a locking lever to keep it from bouncing closed!

Originally Posted by mittens
I plan on bringnig spares for sure. Only problem would be a impeller change... I could do it floating if it was not for the amount of water coming in the hose from the drive... I cant move it above the water line like I could on a single engine.
Old 05-15-2014, 01:23 PM
Registered

In my bildge its litterally all i can do to reach the hose clamp on the back of the pump. ha
Old 05-18-2014, 03:53 PM
Registered

Received 887 Likes on 481 Posts

Originally Posted by mittens
Not sure yet still planning all depends if we are going to go all the way to pig island or stay around bimini or something.

I am not sleeping in a tent. Boat has genny, AC, and Vacuflush head. I sleep in the boat ALOT. its ICE cold with the AC running. 65 degrees, and dark if i want it to be. with a temperpedic V birth.

It sleeps great... Not worried about that. I have ruffed it on a 17 foot bow rider with a family of 4 with just camper tops for 6-7 days. 10 days with just me and the girl in a 34 foot, AC, Genny, boat is not a problem.. BUT running out of a holding tank will be.

Wonder if I could make a make shift hand vacume pump to empty the tank when out to sea. Nasty but only a 1-2 time thing and solve my problem.
I only posted that as a reference (kids thought they could rough it, when they couldn't they were in a jam looking for hotels).

I have lived in Florida since 1975, I work outside daily and I am telling you some of the hottest, most sunburnt adventures I have had were boating in the Bahamas!
Old 06-13-2014, 10:57 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Jupiter Sunsation
I have lived in Florida since 1975, I work outside daily and I am telling you some of the hottest, most sunburnt adventures I have had were boating in the Bahamas!
Went on vacation to Freeport some years back in April. 80 degrees with a cool Ocean breeze. I don't know if it's the lack of air pollution, angle of the Sun or reflection of it off the water, but it's a frying pan!

Last edited by Comanche3Six; 06-13-2014 at 03:31 PM.
Old 03-24-2016, 10:25 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by FIXX
this may sound gross but bring a 5 gallon bucket and do your thing...plenty of water to wash up..
x2 Great chum too!
Old 05-12-2016, 10:09 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

On average how long does it take to clear customs in Bimini?

We would like to make this our day trip destination but have heard it can take hours to clear. That would not be worth it on a day trip.
Old 05-12-2016, 11:11 PM
Registered

Received 887 Likes on 481 Posts

Originally Posted by Orthobam
On average how long does it take to clear customs in Bimini?

We would like to make this our day trip destination but have heard it can take hours to clear. That would not be worth it on a day trip.
Clearing with a 6-8 boat poker run probably took an hour. Bimini Sands sometimes has a custom agent on premises but if not you dock at big game area and walk to the pink customs building. They don't want to waste your time or theirs, they just want the $150-300

I cleared at the airport with 7 people in about 90 seconds.....took longer than that to load the bags!
Old 05-13-2016, 06:28 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm trying to resurrect the Bimini discussion without starting a new thread.

Our goal is to leave from Miami and spend the day in Bimini and return. We will be taking a 38' Statement with 300s.

Is it worth staying for the day?

Is it enough better than the Keys to mess with?

Obviously weather would be strongly considered and would not risk it if it was iffy on any given day.

The boat will have a captain so I would assume I could fly back in a pinch if we needed to leave but the weather was too much to risk for the boat.
Old 06-17-2016, 10:15 PM
Registered

You should plan to stay a couple days, you'll see why when you get there. Stay at the Hilton, place is unreal. Have a look online. Want to snorkel a sunken ship or swim with stingrays, that's your place. Not to mention the water, can't even describe it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.