Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Boating by Region > Caribbean
Making the trip to Bimini >

Making the trip to Bimini

Notices

Making the trip to Bimini

Old 03-15-2020, 08:23 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Planning stages to make another run over to Bimini on jetskis from Baker Haulover, full loop around and maybe run south to other islands. Thinking June time frame but nothing set in stone just yet.
I see FPC is schd for 6/19... anyone else planning?
Old 07-06-2020, 07:23 PM
Registered

Received 887 Likes on 481 Posts

Originally Posted by high bid
Planning stages to make another run over to Bimini on jetskis from Baker Haulover, full loop around and maybe run south to other islands. Thinking June time frame but nothing set in stone just yet.
I see FPC is schd for 6/19... anyone else planning?
Bimini is getting weird........owner of Big John's bar was killed last year at his home in Bimini Bay, a local was killed a month later via the same means (multiple gun shots). Lots of media reports they took the bar owner (he was American) to the local hospital and authorities refused to allow him to get medivac'd out to Miami. Bimini and the Bahamas in general will surely get rough if the tourists don't come and fund their existence.

FPC has postponed their Bahamas 2020 trips due to Covid.
Old 12-08-2020, 10:11 AM
Registered

Received 51 Likes on 26 Posts

I made this trip a few years ago (Miami to Bimini). I took a 27' glasstream with a 496/Bravo1. The weather was supposed to be 2-3 footers. But as soon as we got to the gulf stream it was more like 4-5 footers. But that wasn't bad compared to our return from Bimini... On the way back to Miami we got 6-8 footers and lots of rain THE WHOLE WAY... instead of a 1 hour 30 minute trip... it took us almost 4 hours to get back. You know what they say... Smooth seas never made a skilled sailor... anyways, we launched from matheson and hammocks and shot out through stiltsville and shot up to Bimini. When we got to Bimini, we docked up at Big Game resort and did all our paper work there.
Old 03-12-2021, 08:14 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

any updates on the Bahamas situation? wanting to go in the next year or so.....
Old 04-23-2021, 05:02 PM
Registered

Received 581 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by hblair
We had a good time. Was an adventure. Half the place is third world country, then you go to the Hilton. Wow. There's some money there! I put together a video. We had some drone footage too...
https://youtu.be/LE_ITBfComg
Enjoyed the video. Who knows maybe one day ill make the trip.
The following users liked this post:
hblair (07-12-2021)
Old 07-12-2021, 12:09 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1,337 Likes on 284 Posts

Originally Posted by Eddienel
Enjoyed the video. Who knows maybe one day ill make the trip.
Thanks, I'm just now seeing this. Me and boating to the bahamas don't get along too well. I've been there twice since '17 and broke down the other two times. In 2017 we got back to the boat ramp at dania beach and both motors died at the ramp. Found out later my fuel pickup straws inside tank had broken off. Dodged a bullet there.

In 2018 we planned to go all the way to staniel. Well, as soon as I got to bimini for gas my left motor died and wouldn't restart. I thought I had bent a valve or something from water intrusion through the exhaust. Found out later it was just fouled plugs from water intrusion. Towed back from bimini to dania beach. Not cheap.

In 2019 I was gonna redeem my past failures and make it to staniel. I flew my wife, daughter, daughter in law, grand kids to staniel from fort lauderdale. Me, my two sons, son in law, and a family friend left out of dania beach that morning to meet the ladies there later in the day. We were going to make it happen this time. Yessiree. We got to bimini, topped off fuel, pulled out onto the bahama bank headed to chubb, got about 1/3 of the way there, left u joint explodes. We crippled back to dania on one motor (after being boarded by the coast guard looking for drugs at 10pm). Me and the boys flew to staniel the next morning to join the ladies with zero sleep.

These bahamas adventures are more suited for later model outboard boats less likely to break your heart. I do have some pretty photos though.

Last edited by hblair; 07-12-2021 at 12:12 PM.
Eddienel (07-12-2021)
Old 07-12-2021, 12:43 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

The following 2 users liked this post by hblair:
Eddienel (07-12-2021), jekyl (07-12-2021)
Old 07-12-2021, 12:44 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

jekyl (07-12-2021)
Old 07-12-2021, 12:49 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Just to be clear, the first photo is close to bimini, the rest were in the exhumas, near staniel.
Old 09-04-2021, 10:49 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Great photos!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.