Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Checkmate
What's this worth? >

What's this worth?

Notices

What's this worth?

Old 02-10-2009, 08:49 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think I am going to put a deposit on it.....and try to go see it next weekend. Is there anything I should look for other than the obvious? Any particular quirks about these boat? Are the bottoms usually straight and run true and smooth?
Old 02-10-2009, 09:16 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by drpete3
What does the exaust manifold say?
Revolution Marine
Old 02-10-2009, 09:23 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by agood1
I think I am going to put a deposit on it.....and try to go see it next weekend. Is there anything I should look for other than the obvious? Any particular quirks about these boat? Are the bottoms usually straight and run true and smooth?
You dont have to worry about any Checkmate not running true. Unless its been repaired All their boats are handlaid fiberglass and been in biz since the sixties. If the boat was taken care of by the previous owners you will love it.

I would take a good look at the king pins in the gimble ring to make sure their not worn. The hyd steer is a bonus.

Not trying to snatch people from here but checkmate-boats.com Is a hang out for all Checkmate owners and myself and theirs nothing about that boat that cant be answered their
Old 02-10-2009, 11:02 PM
Registered

Default work em over

I bought a 90 Checkmate 25 convincor last season. It was listed as a buy it now on ebay for 15000.00. It didnt sell and I did a last chance offer. Bought it for 8000.00.
This week a new 540 ci is going in after the old motor hydrostatically locked and while doing the investigation of the problem I found other issues. I felt it was best to get the new motor and have a baseline to work from.
I guess my point is just be prepared for something. As of this season I will will have approximately 16000.00 in but this is with a new motor and the outdrive has been gone through. Essentially a new boat. I am happy with my deal, but if I had paid the Buy it now I would be way upside down. Just food for thought.
Old 02-11-2009, 01:21 PM
Registered

Received 15 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by drpete3
ill bet its a 70mph boat
easily, had a newer 260 which would be a similar hull but has a step and it ran 70 with a 375 hp 496 ci merc.

that boat is a good deal if it was takin care of. hand laid hull very light for its size and strong.
Old 02-11-2009, 03:05 PM
Registered

I got some more information today:
The boat was traded with a knocking motor. The dealer removed the motor and found it had been over heated and dropped a valve guide. So they totally dissassembled the motor and bored it .30 over and replaced the pistons with keith black. They also put all new bearings and rebuilt the valve train. This is a roller valve train. He also said he had to replace some parts in the upper outdrive housing....don't remember exactly but rod, gears, pinions or something like that. They also replaced the water pump, circulation pump and the alternator. It has MSD ignition and Demon Carb.

The only issue is he says the valve train is noisy, but he says that most all roller valve trains have a different sound than a non-roller and he says it sounds normal....does this make sense?
Old 02-11-2009, 08:09 PM
Registered

You need to take a engine mechanic with you the valve train being real noisy sound like a line of BS. I have a full roller engine and with the engine running at idle and the hatch up I can not here my valve train. If I got in the engine compartment and stuck my ear down towards the valve cover I could here mine.

I am not knocking you but by your post I feel you do not know a huge amount about internals of a engine or drive. If you are not careful this boat dealer will take advantage of you.

1. I have ever seen a iron head engine drop a guide only a valve

2. You do not rebuild valve train you replace the worn out parts

3. And the MSD box on their is not a marine one and will last half the time and really is not safe.

4 It looks like the clown ran the breather line off the fuel pump and plugged it into the carb base. That will create a vacuum on the fuel pump and you will lose fuel pressure and lean the engine and burn it up.

This boat looks like a good deal but be careful a boat dealer will tell you anything right now to sell something they are hurting.
Old 02-12-2009, 07:12 AM
Registered

Sorry, I was in a hurry when I wrote this last post.

It was a valve seat that came loose, not a valve guide.

I admit I am not familiar with the Bravo drive, so that is why I am asking for advice on this board.

How can you tell where that hose is coming from, can't even see the fuel pump in the picture, if it is what you say, where should it go if not to the base of the carb?
Old 02-13-2009, 12:52 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by agood1
Sorry, I was in a hurry when I wrote this last post.

It was a valve seat that came loose, not a valve guide.

I admit I am not familiar with the Bravo drive, so that is why I am asking for advice on this board.

How can you tell where that hose is coming from, can't even see the fuel pump in the picture, if it is what you say, where should it go if not to the base of the carb?
That would be the only hose that size going in that direction most of the time they are vented to the air filter. If the boat was not six hours away from me I would go and look at it with you. I will keep a eye on your thread if you post again

Good Luck
Old 02-13-2009, 07:01 AM
Registered

Received 108 Likes on 65 Posts

Hello - Heres my .02. I had a 1995 219 Persuader with a 350 and an Alpha drive. I sold that boat for 11,000 on ebay. So , this does sound like a good deal if the engine is ok. BUT, I was not happy with the way the boat handled, It was terrible over waves !! We boat on the CT river and it felt like we were on the ocean all the time. I think I broke my back a few times. This boat is a couple feet bigger, so maybe it will handle better. I would test drive if possible.

Quick Reply: What's this worth?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.