Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Checkmate
first impressions of my 2800 checkmate twin ob >

first impressions of my 2800 checkmate twin ob

Notices

first impressions of my 2800 checkmate twin ob

Old 07-09-2012, 02:30 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thats what i was saying, you need to stay away from a bow lifter. i ran a hydromotive on mine and loved it. it was to big for my set up but i was a great handling prop. if i have to get a new prop thats what i would buy
Old 07-09-2012, 03:23 PM
Registered

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

well i found a set of 24 p mercury cleavers on ebay for 450 bucks so i was just curious....ive seen alot of the powerplay OB boats runnin cleavers....so i thought maybe there was somethin to it. i know that a cleaver by design has very little bow lift...witch is something that i though may work good for me....

.....and STILLIBERATOR, theres a guy in the swapshop that has a set of 4 blade solid hub choppers for sale. are those the kind you are talkin bout? they have the small hub like my chopper but 4 blades and they are shaped different. from what i understand there are two things that i amconsidering in a possible prop swap: no bow lift....and 4 blades. both for more stabililty since my boat is stearn heavy. does that sound right?

ima try the bravos sinc ethey are local and see what happens. may call BBLADES and test a few sets to see whats up....
Old 07-10-2012, 10:24 AM
Registered

Received 72 Likes on 39 Posts

I had 4 blade Mach Choppers. definately bow lifting props. I tried a set of cleavers and the boat bow steered terribly. My boat had a full cabin so I needed the bow lift. With your boat being setup to race I would talk to lightspeed. I would think he would know what it likes best. I doubt the cleavers would be the props for that hull. Good luck and let us know how it goes. Bob
Old 07-10-2012, 11:00 AM
Registered

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by bulletbob
I had 4 blade Mach Choppers. definately bow lifting props. I tried a set of cleavers and the boat bow steered terribly. My boat had a full cabin so I needed the bow lift. With your boat being setup to race I would talk to lightspeed. I would think he would know what it likes best. I doubt the cleavers would be the props for that hull. Good luck and let us know how it goes. Bob
thanks for the input bullet!

lightspeed said the boat was fastest with the choppers that are on it now. 3 blade mercs.he suggested maybe putting some weight in the very front in the form of a sand bag may help it fly flat.

greg at cep said that a four blade would give me greater stability but cost me a few mph more than likely. the boat feels "loose" at speed in 1-2 foot shop....but thats not my major concern...the porpoising is a bigger deal to me....LIGHTSPEED said that its just how the boat is and you just have to know how to drive it to get it to perform. so i may be on a wild goose chase.
Old 07-10-2012, 01:46 PM
Registered

Received 72 Likes on 39 Posts

My T-Bred felt loose and flew the bow high ( at least thats how it felt). It took some getting used to. It scared me more than once in rough water. I don't think the cleavers will work on your hull unless maybe u go with a 5 blade. I never tried a set. Most vee hulls need some bow lift as the hull generates none. Once u learn how to drive (fly) the boat it is rewarding. It took me 10+ hours to learn the basics and drive thru the chine walk.