hydraulic steering question

Notices

hydraulic steering question

Old 09-17-2002, 08:40 PM
I hate the winter!!
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hydraulic steering question

This winter I will be adding full hydraulic steering to my '99 259. Has anyone done this? My biggest worry is whether I can get the hydraulic helm mounted and plumbed without making any cuts to the fiberglass. The only access hole I can see me using is that little wiring access in the cabin. Also, how about mounting the helm itself, will there be any major problems with the stock hole which was cut out for the cable helm??
Old 09-17-2002, 09:31 PM
checkmate981

Checkmate 454,
I would give Checkmate A call.I am sure they have done this and can answer your question.
Dave

Old 09-18-2002, 09:53 AM
Registered

let us know what they say,i have the same boat and am considering doing this over the winter also.

Rob
Old 09-18-2002, 02:16 PM
CONVINCOR 300

Hea guys.....i asked the guys that install the steering in our shop about the steering switch......they said i can be done without a hole bunch of work. The tuffest thing will be getting the hoses plumbed with the limited area you spoke of.......and you will have to fill the hole for the helm.......the hydrualic helm hole is acually smaller( but the helm itself will cover the area-thus no spray repair) Let me know if you need any further suggestions!

Old 09-18-2002, 04:24 PM
I hate the winter!!
Platinum Member

Thanks for the input!!

I have pretty much made up my mind on using Imcos' steering. I called them today, I spoke with Ron about the clearance issue, he also didn't know for sure if it will fit. He did give me some measurments to check out. He said that the new hydraulic control unit would be 4" x 4" and 5" long. I don't think that you can squeeze that size through that little fuse access hole, but I will check the next time I get to the boat. I also found out that the 2 large hoses to the control valve are #6, that is probably a 11/16" nut to try to tighten. Maybe I can get in there with a crow foot wrench to do this, otherwise I will have to bend up and shorten an old wrench for the job. He did tell me that if I was to use their tilt steering helm, it would cover up the existing hole with no problem. He said that when the install of the helm is complete, you wont be able to tell the difference, I can even use my existing steering wheel. I just hope that it wasn't a sales pitch!!!!

I will let you know what happens.

Last edited by Vinny P; 09-19-2002 at 02:47 PM.
Old 09-19-2002, 07:26 AM
sha- mat

I bought a 1989 25' Convincor last winter that has a Latham system. It looks like alot of work, but the benefits have to be well worth it. I think the previous owner installed it and did a very nice job. The helm is tight but, it can be done. There is probabaly quite a few differences between the two boats (10 years) and Latham/Imco, but I can take my digital camera next time we go out and take some pictures if this would help. I do know after having hydraulic steering, I will never have a boat without it.

Old 09-19-2002, 11:24 AM
Registered

does the hydraulic steering on this size single engine boat use power assist from the power steering pump or is it just straight manual turning??
Old 09-19-2002, 12:23 PM
CONVINCOR 300

You can go either way full hydraulic or assist........from my experience the assist is junk! .......If your going hydraulic go full !

Old 09-19-2002, 02:46 PM
I hate the winter!!
Platinum Member

Mzx800,

Whether you go for the half system ( also called assist ) or the full hydraulic system, you still use the stock power steering pump.

Sha-Mat;

Thanks for the offer but, I know that your boat is alot different than mine. A friend has the same hull as you, the access is not the same..
Old 09-19-2002, 03:11 PM
Registered

I do not believe you have enough room under the helm to fit the full hydrolic steering. I have a 2000 259 convincor that I had the dual ram assist put on. The assist is great but you have a little play in the wheel. I measured under the helm and could not figure out a way to it in without major modifications. Yes you can use the stock power steering pump but you will need to drill an 11/64 hole in the orifice of the pump to provide more pressure at idle.

Quick Reply: hydraulic steering question

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.