Notices

Props

Old 12-21-2003, 05:54 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No I didn't buy from Kunkles, I bought it from Franks marine in berlin center. Actually' I technically did buy from Kunkles. One year frank and kunkles went together for the first of the year opening order from checkmate. The paperwork I had to take to the title bureau showed it was bought from kunkles, but it actually was from Franks. I've bought 3 new checkmates from Franks but unfortunately he is nolonger a checkmate dealer. I've tried just about every prop frank has in stock but I am limited because of the large outpup shaft of the xz. Frank had a 253 with a Paul phaff 572 420 mega blower that hit 103. Mine scares me at 80 couple.
Old 12-21-2003, 08:58 PM
Registered

Ted, I have the Bennet tabs (twin ram 12x16) I have considered installing K-Planes but I'd rather spend the money on motor parts. I would like to try an Imco "short" lower I think that will give me more speed, but some say that it's not as stable ? Any body have any experiance with a 251 with a short lower ??
Old 12-22-2003, 09:13 PM
Registered

Don't do the shorty drive. Mine was ordered with a one half inch higher than Checkmate normally uses. I 'm not sure but I think Checkmate uses a 2 inch higher X dimension than merc recomends. Mine is heart throbling unstable at speed. Think stock. Remember think stock. did I mention think stock.
Old 12-24-2003, 08:26 AM
Registered

Ted,

I definitely would not go the route of the shortened drive. This could cause all kinds of stability issues. dlbcheckmate was on track when he suggested installing full hydraulic steering. It was night and day on mine. I would also forgo the idea of changing your tabs and instead spend the money on a helm unit. I never used my tabs on my 242, to include when it ran 110mph. Here are a few other suggestions. The reason Mach props work well on checkmates is b/c they have less diameter than hydo's. Less dia will have less paddle wheel effect and make the boat more stable. So you could do one of two things. You could take a Patriot and have the hub cut out of it and then have a larger hub welded in. Or you can take a hydro and cut the dia down to 15 or 14 3/4. By the way, by cutting down the dia, you will be able to get more rpm's out of your motor, which in turn will give you more speed. Of course if you cut down the dia in a hydro, I would have an additional 1" of defuser ring welded in as well. This will help with planning issues. As for Patriot, I have two that I would let go. One is a 14 3/4 x 26, and the other is 15 x 29. One last question. Have you had the bottom of the boat checked or blueprinted. If you have a serious hook, it could cause some of your problems. Hopefully this will help.
Old 12-24-2003, 08:49 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Without full hydraulic steering you are wasting your time. 80+mph without full hydraulic will cause all kinds of handling problems and is simply not safe. Don't waste your money on anything else until you solve the steering issue.
Old 12-25-2003, 04:12 PM
Registered

We're not discussing a steering issue we're discussing a handling issue at speeds, with different props. Mercs cause chine walk; Hyro's can't get on plane.
Old 12-25-2003, 06:40 PM
Registered

Default Ted

Do you get out to Berlin Lake by Franks much? I do most of my boating out there. I have had Frank to work on my Checkmate. What graphics to you have on your 253? Here is a photo of the tabs Frank put on my last boat.
Attached Thumbnails Props-017_17.jpg  
Old 12-25-2003, 06:42 PM
Registered

here is another
Attached Thumbnails Props-018_18.jpg  
Old 12-26-2003, 10:41 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ted-

I have gone through what you are describing in detail for the last 2 years. I still believe you have a steering issue. Yes, Merc props can cause more chine walk , but that is because they usually produce more bow lift.

My old persuader ran about 80 with a Hydro prop, if I put on a merc I couldn't control it past 77. Then I went to full hydraulic and put the merc mirage back on. Instantly I could hold it WOT and hit 83.

My new ZT260 will run 90 with almost any prop. No chine walk at all, but it also has full hydraulic steering. The X dimension is at 17 3/4 which runs fast, but planned poorly so I drop it an inch and lost no speed but fixed the planning issue.

Obviously your setup may vary, but stability equals top speed for most boats. Checkmates are very finicky when it comes to bow lift, prop selection, and steering.
Old 12-27-2003, 12:41 PM
Registered

zt260, what prop and HP are you running to hit 90 ?

Quick Reply: Props

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.