259 Convincor w/ 600hp >

259 Convincor w/ 600hp

Notices

259 Convincor w/ 600hp

Old 02-13-2005, 09:05 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: 259 Convincor w/ 600hp

No hyd steering and handles but thats about as much as much I would go with out it got 73 out of it last fall very cool day and pushing it hard
Old 02-13-2005, 09:06 PM
Registered

Kevin where are you from anyway
Old 02-14-2005, 10:34 AM
Registered

Rockford Illinois, im just now setting up a 502, have considered a procharger but i gonna go NA for a while!! Im always doing the guessing game on what speed i should be runnin. what kinda HP was yours gettin (estimated? or dyno?) im hoping on hitting that 70-72 range or better!!
if i estimate what youve got i would say mathematically youd be around 460-470 hp, right?
Old 02-14-2005, 04:36 PM
Registered

Im around 440 hp where do you boat at around rockford I use to live in Il myself north of chicago I have done a little partying around rockford a couple times had a friend that lived there do you ever go to lake cumberland
We are thinking about doing the poker run in chicago this summer
Old 02-14-2005, 05:34 PM
Registered

been houseboating two times on cumberland, beautiful place!! keep me posted on the poker run, never done that yet!! we'll see how the boats runnin. so did you say you bought a 540 or what?
Old 02-14-2005, 07:43 PM
Registered

Im working out a deal to put an addition on a friends house in cumberland this year for the engines it is brand new and with all on it what he says it should produce about 650 hp havent seen all the reciepts yet and he is the mechanic for me on everything
Old 02-15-2005, 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by rainorshine
Hey RJBBC, I read in Powerboat magazine a Q and A similar to what you looking into. I'm not sure whitch issue it was, but a dude with a 24 Outlaw and 454Mag MPI was woundering about the same things as yourself. If I remember right Bob Teague encouraged a total outdrive replacement rather than upgrading your bravo,pumping up the heads, exhaust headers, hyd. steering, prop change,and probably some more stuff that I can't remember. If you put 600+ ponys in that boat I hope you put a cool name on it. Because thata what I'll be looking at when you blow by me!
Scott,
I read the same article. Bob Teague made some great points. It is one thing to build a 600HP motor but there are some other things to consider when increasing the performance on your water craft; drive, hydraulic steering, k-planes, he even mentions sport style life jackets. I'll agree with every upgrade, life jackets maybe a stretch but they"re cheap. Sounds like maybe you had similar thoughts w/ your old 24 Outlaw. I would to like to see a reliable, safe 75mph, however dumping 30K into your boat and decreasing the boat's value may be somewhat foolish.
Rob
Old 02-18-2005, 10:20 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Rob
I have a great idea why dont you find a used block and build it up, then just swap your motors when your ready. That way if you sell it you can put the mag back in it. The other thing Scott C. and myself were thinking was why not just buy a 500 EFI and put it in then you could sell your motor and your boat is worth more money I would think that would get you at least very close to 75 MPH. Your outdrive could hold up to it, and you could always add sterring later if you feel you need it. Just my thoughts.
Old 02-19-2005, 02:44 PM

Sounds like a good idea.
Old 03-05-2005, 08:10 AM

Originally Posted by checkmate454mag
RJBBC,
I was thinking of supercharging my 454 magnum, but decided it was not cost effective enough. I was going to go with a Whipple. But, by the time you add up the cost of the Whipple and the cost of rebuilding the motor to accept a Whipple correctly, it gets real expensive. Then would come my biggest fear. That is, having ECU troubles. Most of us, myself included, don't have the capabilty of mapping out our own fuel curves. Technology wise, for the average boat owner, we are just not there yet. Now I know that Whipple is supposed to be pretty good out of the box, but for me it is just easier with a carb.
The best part is, I still have a complete 454 Magnum sitting in the corner of my garage as a back up.
Yes, I do have full dual ram hydraulic steering and Dana Marine HP-1000 Tabs.
The picture is from this past season, before I changed motors or the drive.

So far to date, this project has cost me $23k, that is including the cost of a Teague Upper, Imco lower "XR" drive, that I picked up used. With the exception of the actual machine work, that number is with me doing ALL the work myself. That number includes the entire fuel system and all other misc. items.
With the Labbed 26" Bravo prop, I noticed a little more time to get on plane, slight mid-range power loss, but more top end. I never hammer it on a hole shot anyway, so I didn't care at all. With this prop, the boat rides high. I believe that a Bravo prop will lift the stern more than your Mirage Plus will.
checkmate454mag,
Why did you add full hydraulic steering and Dana Marine HP-1000 Tabs while running a stock 454 MAG? Was this just a stepping stone expense in your quest to build your mountain motor? Did you notice much difference in the handling of your boat with these upgrades while running stock power?
RJBBC

Quick Reply: 259 Convincor w/ 600hp

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.