New Guy Here >

New Guy Here

Notices

New Guy Here

Old 09-09-2007, 12:26 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Guy Here

Hello fellas, ladies. I am a new guy here. I dont know if I belong here as my new to me first boat I wouldnt exactly call an offshore, but here we go.

Its a 1987 Chris Craft 197 Limited. 230 horse 305 alpha one o/d.

It has a performer intake and 4bl carb and a mallory ignition.

Anyone have any info on this boat , I know Its a smaller boat but this seems to be the most informative forum out there.

I had a few bad first couple weeks with it as it was sitting for over 1.5 years, but its in great shape. Needs a new floor under the back seat and a new interior, but other than that its real solid. Of course it needs a gimbal bearing(she howls) and probly some new u joints and seals just to be safe.

It wanted to stall out on me after getting up to speed and hitting some waves, so I figured it had water in the gas and changed the water fuel sep filter and drained the old gas out of it. I Hope that fixes it. The gas looked like orange gatorade so I figured it was a little gnarly.

I did have it up to 51 mph HH GPS before she sputtered on me.

Any info about this boat would be great.

some pics
Attached Thumbnails New Guy Here-boat.jpg   New Guy Here-boat2.jpg   New Guy Here-boat3.jpg  

Old 09-09-2007, 01:54 PM
Registered

Alrighty then thanks for all the great replies
Old 09-09-2007, 07:15 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 204 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by adam4by4
Alrighty then thanks for all the great replies
It's slow around here on the weekends, cool little CC, my first was a 20ft sea ray with a 350, it did 55 all day!

I just sold my 245 Limited, now a Baja guy.. but I will still be in this forum too!

Welcome aboard!
Old 09-09-2007, 07:19 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Hello fellas, ladies. I am a new guy here. I dont know if I belong here as my new to me first boat I wouldnt exactly call an offshore, but here we go.

Its a 1987 Chris Craft 197 Limited. 230 horse 305 alpha one o/d.

It has a performer intake and 4bl carb and a mallory ignition.

Anyone have any info on this boat , I know Its a smaller boat but this seems to be the most informative forum out there.

I had a few bad first couple weeks with it as it was sitting for over 1.5 years, but its in great shape. Needs a new floor under the back seat and a new interior, but other than that its real solid. Of course it needs a gimbal bearing(she howls) and probly some new u joints and seals just to be safe.

It wanted to stall out on me after getting up to speed and hitting some waves, so I figured it had water in the gas and changed the water fuel sep filter and drained the old gas out of it. I Hope that fixes it. The gas looked like orange gatorade so I figured it was a little gnarly.

I did have it up to 51 mph HH GPS before she sputtered on me.

Any info about this boat would be great.

some pics
Hit the grease fitting at the gimbal on the starboard side, I bet it quiets up, it is below the trim sensor, hit the other fittings while in there, most people have no idea they are there.
Old 09-10-2007, 03:43 PM
Registered

Hi welcome aboard.
Nice boat and I also own a CC but a 260 Stinger. My first CC was a 210 with an OMC and smallblock so I know the "series" of boat you have.
Hope you enjoy what is left of the season and spend the winter fixing the little things as you do not want to be messing around next season in the middle of July on something superficial.
Have fun, ask questions, as many guys here are experts in numerous fields, and welcome.
Old 09-10-2007, 07:52 PM
Registered

Thanbks for all the "real" replies. Ill look into greasing the gimbal to finish the season. I was sort of being sarcastic with that last response so dont think im a *****. I figured things were a little slow around here on the weekends, it is after all boat season. Thanks for all the welcomes.

I did have a question if anyone wants to answer. Where might I find replacement interior pieces for this boat. Like a rear bench seat and wrap around pad near the sundeck? I am capable of building them myself but my sewing skills are ****.
Old 09-10-2007, 07:56 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

I did have a question if anyone wants to answer. Where might I find replacement interior pieces for this boat. Like a rear bench seat and wrap around pad near the sundeck? I am capable of building them myself but my sewing skills are ****.
Good luck...

I would take them to a amish guy if you have any in your area, usually pretty cheap.
Old 09-11-2007, 02:30 PM
Registered

So, a baja guy now, TRAITOR

Tim-

so that's the new baja, huh. I'm a little disappointed, I expected the 42' to go with your tow rig.

Just kidding. Looks great!!

My 245 is still dry docked, found way more problems that need to be fixed, namely the motor mounts are pulled from the "new" stringers. That's why I couldn't keep a coupler in it. Swear to God, when I get my hands on that friggin' surveyor I'm gonna use him for a hand puppet.

I also scored some brand new thru hull tips. After the mounts are squared away, those babies are going on. Hopefully you'll hear it across the harbor.

See ya,
Mike
Old 09-11-2007, 04:32 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by kal6150
Tim-

so that's the new baja, huh. I'm a little disappointed, I expected the 42' to go with your tow rig.

Just kidding. Looks great!!

My 245 is still dry docked, found way more problems that need to be fixed, namely the motor mounts are pulled from the "new" stringers. That's why I couldn't keep a coupler in it. Swear to God, when I get my hands on that friggin' surveyor I'm gonna use him for a hand puppet.

I also scored some brand new thru hull tips. After the mounts are squared away, those babies are going on. Hopefully you'll hear it across the harbor.

See ya,
Mike
That sucks, if you have a copy of the survey and he said all was well, you have a lawsuit! that is the whole point of a surveyor, I wouyld take pics then fix it yourself, maybe make something that bolts though the stringer like offshore mounts.