New Owner Stinger 202

Notices

New Owner Stinger 202

Old 09-10-2008, 02:06 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Owner Stinger 202

What a great site!!

Always wanted a go fast boat, and finally got an opportunity for a project. Bought a 1987 202 that was gutted.

Wife says the gelgoat is in great shape. I actually haven't seen the boat, as it's in Clearwater, and I'll be dragging it back to NC this weekend.

Needs Stringers, Floor, Interior...Which is a hobby for me, at least the upholstery part.

The challenge is more about what to do about repowering, as the PO pulled the motor and I/O, and had installed a 225 outboard. I see the advantage of an outboard, such as seating area is increased. However, I also see the con's...HP limitation. From everything I've read, a 225 might push the boat high 50's low 60's.

Decisions...

Will post pics when I get it home.

Thanks,
Jeff
Old 09-10-2008, 11:39 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 1,232 Likes on 687 Posts

Jeff,

Let's see some pics when you get her home. Some of them were in fact built with outboards. Are you sure it's not a factory outboard boat? That would be a rare find!

I don't think the 202 came with a V8 (the V8s I've seen were transplanted). My 222 was bought by my friend as an upgrade to his 202.

Welcome to Stinger ownership! They are some really unique boats.
Old 09-11-2008, 09:35 AM
Were doomed!
Charter Member

Received 943 Likes on 474 Posts

If you read through this site and others youll find that alot of them get shipped overseas! I guess they are realy popular over there.....I love the look of these little boats...and the center steering is what catches everyones attention the first time they see the boat....then they notice the rear jump seats and they are hooked!

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy horsepower. And I've never seen a sad person hauling a$$!
Old 09-12-2008, 06:58 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

I believe all of the original I/O 202's only had seating for 3. That's why the wifey didn't care for mine because we couldn't bring couples out with us. Some did come with outboards, but were rare. I think they came mounted on a Gil bracket.

If it were my project boat, I'd go with a 250-300 OB on a bracket and remote jacking plate. I think the speed you have listed is on the low side. My 202 with a 175 V6 got into the low 50's on a good day. I would think 50 more HP and less weight would be mid 60's easily if the X dimension were high enough. These are fairly light boats.

My guess would be if you had a 300 on a hydraulic jackplate, you could pass the 80mph barrier, but from what I've heard, the hulls on these are not very stable or safe at those speeds.

Good luck and keep us posted.
Old 09-12-2008, 09:43 AM
Were doomed!
Charter Member

Received 943 Likes on 474 Posts

yeah I've never seen a 202 with more then 3 people capacity...my 222 look like its only for 3....but the sun pad has three sections to it and you can make a set of jump seats that face either way (forwards or backwards if towing a tubber) for an extra 2 people

i thought i had some pics of the jumpers but they must be on the computer at home...

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy horsepower. And I've never seen a sad person hauling a$$!
Old 09-12-2008, 09:52 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I think I have those pics Wally. I'll post'em if I can find them.
Old 09-15-2008, 11:59 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

This is the only pic I have of the sunpad. You can see the 3 sections. The center is for the engine and is on a liftjack. the port and stbd sections are 2 pieces each and can be arranged into either forward or rearward facing seats for a total seating of 5 people.
Attached Thumbnails New Owner Stinger 202-stinger-004.jpg  
Old 09-15-2008, 08:43 PM
Registered

Looks good mate,

I've got a scoop on my engine cover. Does your engine bay have a blower installed?

I like the exhaust tips too, Mine are straight cuts.
Old 09-16-2008, 06:40 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

No. With a blower, not enough clearance without a scoop.

This is not my boat. I have sold it to TomZ on this site and he replaced the 3" slash cuts with 4" straight cuts with rubber flaps. This is behind a very strong 383ci (not dynoed, but probably 450+ hp). Boat is yet to see the water, but engine is in and running, so it's almost there!

Hopefully, Tom will let me come out with him on the maiden voyage.
Old 09-21-2008, 09:31 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Hollowpoint
This is the only pic I have of the sunpad. You can see the 3 sections. The center is for the engine and is on a liftjack. the port and stbd sections are 2 pieces each and can be arranged into either forward or rearward facing seats for a total seating of 5 people.
I recognize that boat!

Quick Reply: New Owner Stinger 202

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.