23 ft CHRIS CRAFT STINGER 222

Notices

23 ft CHRIS CRAFT STINGER 222

Old 03-28-2009, 04:28 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 23 ft CHRIS CRAFT STINGER 222

hello

Im thinking of buying a boat, 23 ft CHRIS CRAFT STINGER 222, converted from I/O to OB, very nice, no motor, with trailer. they ask for $2,000. I really dont have idea if this is a good or bad price, also I would like to know what kind of motor and aditional information about the boat that I should know before I buy it.

Plus I live in Mexico (Cancun) and Im thinking of driving the boat from LA.

Any sugestions, comments or ideas?? Thanks!!!!

Last edited by karlitamexico; 03-28-2009 at 04:34 PM.
Old 03-30-2009, 02:36 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 1,234 Likes on 688 Posts

Are you saying you are going to run the boat from Louisiana to Cancun or are you trailering it?

I really wouldn't want to make the run from Louisiana to Cancun. That's a long way to go on the water with a boat that you are essentially just putting together. I don't think I would chance that one (plus you'll have customs, etc., to worry about). The Stinger is probably not the rignt boat for open water like the Gulf (unless you can hug the coastline).

I've only seen one 222 with an outboard. It was supposed to be factory, but I thought that was only with the 202 so I'm thinking that it was converted. Maybe it's the same boat?

I would probably pass on this... unless it had power.

Any more details?
Old 03-30-2009, 06:07 PM
Registered

Thanks for your respond Tom. I will not take the boat on openwater, I will trailering.

The boat is 1987, it doens have a motor, so I have to buy one, do you have any recomendations about the motor?

Im thinking of selling this boat in Cancun, once I got the motor.

My big concern is if the price of the boat is the fair one? 2k is a good price?
Old 03-30-2009, 07:14 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I paid $2500 for mine, no engine in the boat, but with all the parts needed to put it together. Mine was complete minus the engine (the engine was in pieces, but I built another one for it instead).

I think you could find something that doesn't quite need so much work. You will need a 250 HP outboard to run that boat properly. That's a lot of money! You're talking more than double the cost of the purchase price just for the motor (would have been much cheaper if it was an I/O).

I would pass on this one and find something else that needs less work.
Old 03-31-2009, 10:39 AM
Registered

too late.... my boyfriend just bought it, also he find a 98 mercury 200 hp v6 outboard with new stainless steel propeller.

Do you think that the motor is going to work fine on the 222 stinger?

I have to ask, like i said in the beggining i dont have idea about boats, but what do you mean Tom by saying that this particular boat needs work?

Last edited by karlitamexico; 03-31-2009 at 02:07 PM.
Old 03-31-2009, 07:18 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

It depends on what speed you're hoping to get with the boat. With only 200hp, you probably won't see 60 IMHO, unless it's on a hydraulic jacking plate.

The motor should be fine for running around and maybe pulling a skier. I would seriously look at the stringers and transom for rot.

I always loved my Stinger
Old 03-31-2009, 07:58 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Hollowpoint
It depends on what speed you're hoping to get with the boat. With only 200hp, you probably won't see 60 IMHO, unless it's on a hydraulic jacking plate.

The motor should be fine for running around and maybe pulling a skier. I would seriously look at the stringers and transom for rot.

I always loved my Stinger
Still wont see 60, lucky to see 50
Old 03-31-2009, 10:27 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

When I was talking about the boat needing work, I meant that installing a replacement outboard would be a chore. You can't just "bolt on" a large outboard like you would with, say, a 50 HP outboard on a simple bracket. You will need the proper controls to work with the motor, bracket/jack plate, fuel provisions, etc. Then you have the boat itself (see Hollowpoint's post).

Now... if you got the boat for a grand, then got a motor cheap, that might not be too bad.

A 200 HP outboard on that boat is barely adequate. Something in the 250 -300 HP range would be better.

I am pumping close to 500 HP (I/O) to mine!

Good luck with it and I hope your husband is able to trailer it back safely!
Old 04-01-2009, 06:52 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

My 202 with a 205 engine would see low 50's every day. Even though the 202 is lighter, I would think between weight and gearcase savings that 50 should not be a problem.

60 is optimistic unless you have a jack plate. I've heard/seen increases of 5-10mph with that single mod.

As Tom has said, to have decent performance, you need more than a 200hp.

Good luck with the purchase.
Old 04-01-2009, 07:32 AM
Registered

The mercury V6 is a good engine and will run hard but it will be pushed to move that boat around at any speed so as it's a second hand motor it may wear out quickly.

Make sure the rollers on the trailer are far enough back to support the transom as the outboard hanging off the back will unbalance the trailer unless the rollers are moved all the way to the back in line with the transom. If it has just had an outboard bolted on, check to make sure the transom mounting plates are sealed and done correctly, if they aren't pretend you never saw anything and sell the boat to someone in Mexico (not on OSO!) quickly, it's not worth the trouble to fix.

I love my Stinger but I hate outboards! I think it would detract from the lines of the boat too much! I am keen to see pics if you have any though?

Best of luck mate, but like I said, check your trailer!

Quick Reply: 23 ft CHRIS CRAFT STINGER 222

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.