update on scorpion 230 ltd build >

update on scorpion 230 ltd build

Notices

update on scorpion 230 ltd build

Old 02-18-2010, 02:00 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default update on scorpion 230 ltd build

Going to machine shop today! woo hoo! 406sbc build is under way. scat crank/rods, sealed power forged pistons, sportsman heads ported, manley proflow intake valves, manley inconel exhaust valves, 177 weiand blower, 850 barry grant annular blower carb,jackson gear drive, 8"fluid dampener, accel breakerless, stainless marine semidry, 10 qt pan+boat ride in the spring! (I hope)
Old 02-20-2010, 08:09 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What kind of drive are you using?
I have a230 sl with a 454 and currently a stock alpha but I have alpha SS shortie and a stern jack that is being readied to be hung.
Old 02-20-2010, 09:59 AM
Registered

I'm running an omc cobra drive. I know that they have gotten a lot of bad rap, but I've learned that proper shift mechanism adjustment is the key. I had a high comp n/a 406 in the boat last time around that I ran pretty hard with no problem.
Old 02-24-2010, 11:52 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 1,232 Likes on 687 Posts

Sounds like a fun set up!

Keep us updated.
Old 02-26-2010, 11:50 AM
Registered

Thanks. I hope to have assembly and install pics soon.will post
Old 04-10-2010, 04:55 PM
Registered

Default 230 LTD with a done 350/260

Greetings All;

First time poster; this thread caught my eye.

I have a 1987 CC 230 Limited, 350/260 and Alpha. I am at least the 3rd owner, boat has the original motor, now with pin holes in the block around the motor mounts from 23 years of salt water cooling. Water sprays out, steams up, and makes for an ugly situation. The block is done; the Alph a is OK.

I love the hull on these boats, a good looker and it eats up the nastiest weather here on the the Long Island Sound yet makes good speed in moderate seas even with the stock engine.

I need to re-engine and if you are gonna do it might as well do it right (or at least up to your budget and a little more).

I know the 230 LTD had an option for a 454, also with an Alpha. Not sure how that ever worked, way too heavy in the back and I would think more torque than an Alpha could take. I suspect a modern 377 or 383 naturally aspirated SBC would twist an Alpha to bits. Add some pressure llike Doggie Dave and ... poof.

Doggie Dave: how much power will you make with your 406 & a blower? Will you reinforce the transom? What speed are you shooting for?

I am in early stages of figuring out what to do with my 230 LTD. Interior is tired $$$. Better engine $$$ will require a better drive $$$. Can I convert to a Bravo easily or beef up the Alpha somehow? $$$

And what engine? I'll stay small block, but I am a Ford/Mustang/Shelby kind of guy (with lots of parts laying around) I guess I can figure out the SBC just as easily I suppose.

A Ford DOHC MOD block with the Whipple or similar (like present day Shelby or Roush Stangs) would be nice but the there is that budget thing ...

Look forward to following your progress and learning something from this thread.
Old 04-19-2010, 12:44 PM
Registered

Sorry I didn't respond sooner been to busy with other things. My machinist figures 550+ on the hp estimated. was hitting 70 on the right day and light load. first engine was a 406 n/a that was pretty hostile, hi-comp, hostile cam, etc
Old 09-08-2010, 10:13 AM
Registered

Further update, shortblock is assembled, heads installed, windage tray ht set. pan installed. checking valve train geometry. set advance in dist for total 28 deg. reinstalled drive , new seals, gimbal bearing, etc. will post pics soon.
Old 08-06-2011, 04:20 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Bump, How is it coming or are you in the same position as I am. Little time!
Old 08-20-2011, 08:24 PM
Registered

DoggieDave,
I need some advice and sugestions on a 1992 Chris Craft 23ft Scorpion. It is a one owner and originally the owner went ahead and replaced the MerCruiser 350/260HP and installed a Big Block Chevy with a Volvo 290 outdrive. The price is right and the boat is in excellent shape to be a 1982. What gets me to scratch my head is that I don't understand why the boat owner decided to replace the outdrive with a Volvo outdrive as I was thinking that a MerCruiser would have been a better fit and choice. Would the 290 Volvo outdrive be fine just the way it is or in Your opinion would you change it out to a MerCuiser outdrive? Is the fitting on a Volvo outdrive the same as a MerCruiser? Or do you have a $$major operation$$ to make a MerCruiser outdrive to fit? The more I think about it having a 290 Volvo outdrive is a sign of a RED FLAG to stay away from purchasing the boat but I will say it is hard to say no when you see how good of a shape the boat is in. So, Would the 290 Volvo outdrive be fine just the way it is or in Your opinion would you change it out to a MerCruiser outdrive? Tell me what you would you do if you were in my shoes or any information would be great. Thanks!

Big Block Chevy.

Volvo 290 Outdrive.

Last edited by ESCOBAR; 08-20-2011 at 08:27 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.