Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Chris Craft
1984 230XL Stinger >

1984 230XL Stinger

1984 230XL Stinger

Old 07-29-2010, 09:47 AM
Banned

Default 1984 230XL Stinger

Hey. I might be getting a 1984 230XL Stinger and I need lots of pictures and info on these boats, I am trying to do alot of research before I go and buy a boat, so I know what I am getting myself into.

What I do know:

-single small block (i think 260hp- shrinkwrapped engine inside)) with straight exhaust out the back (probably loud )
-wrap around seating with single captains chair
-bravo outdrive with missing skeg
-trim tabs
-non-step hull

My yacht club's boatyard said they'd sell the boat to me because the original owner is an a$$hole who didnt pay the monthly boatyard fee + lost his job.

The title/registration is also an issue. If the boatyard took his boat, would they have the title/registration papers on hand, or would I have to track down the person who had the boat to begin with?

Thanks alot!

Last edited by MiniHawk; 07-29-2010 at 09:51 AM.
Old 07-30-2010, 07:27 AM
Registered

The 230XL was only built in 1984. It actually has more of the characteristics of a Scorpian than a Stinger in its layout - I believe the nameplate on the boat actually says Scorpian. The 1984 Chris-Craft brochure listed the following specs:

230 XL Stinger
Length 22'2" 6.77 m
Beam 96" 2.44 m
Weight 2575 lbs 1168 kg
Fuel Capacity 70 gals 266 lt
Fresh Water Capacity 8 gals 30 lt
Power Options:
1-260 hp Mercruisers 901 lbs 405 kg

There are a few pictures of a 230XL on my website: www.chriscraftstingers.com.
Old 07-30-2010, 08:14 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by hantunca View Post
The 230XL was only built in 1984. It actually has more of the characteristics of a Scorpian than a Stinger in its layout - I believe the nameplate on the boat actually says Scorpian. The 1984 Chris-Craft brochure listed the following specs:

230 XL Stinger
Length 22'2" 6.77 m
Beam 96" 2.44 m
Weight 2575 lbs 1168 kg
Fuel Capacity 70 gals 266 lt
Fresh Water Capacity 8 gals 30 lt
Power Options:
1-260 hp Mercruisers 901 lbs 405 kg

There are a few pictures of a 230XL on my website: www.chriscraftstingers.com.
Thanks!! And yes, the boat says "Stinger" on the side but on the helm it says Scorpion. It's a really nice boat!

How fast will they run? The one im looking at has a 7.4 V8 Bravo Thunderbolt Ignition/Power steering. Someone told me it was a big block.
Old 08-03-2010, 12:37 PM
Registered

I read the thread you put on the other website. I have a 1987scorpion limited similar to the one you are looking at. have owned it since 1990 it has the same cockpit and cabin layout.I have an OMC Cobra drive with a Small block originally was a 350. rebuilt it last time with a n/a 400 smallblock that was pretty hostile. lost the engine to hurricane Ike. am now in the process of building another 400 small block with a weiand 177supercharger. last time around I was hitting 70 mph with a light load should gain about 5mph this time. I've had to refresh the upolstery once repainted it once had to rebuild trailer. my engine had water in the oil when I bought it. needed paint, upolstery. etc etc. the scorpion is a comfortable boat. the wife and I do stay overnight in the cabin. if you choose to go this route, you do have your work cut out for you. You will need to scale back your budget and reuse all parts posssible. save the Gafrig stuff for later work on the basics. need more info just ask
Old 08-04-2010, 11:16 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by doggiedave View Post
I read the thread you put on the other website. I have a 1987scorpion limited similar to the one you are looking at. have owned it since 1990 it has the same cockpit and cabin layout.I have an OMC Cobra drive with a Small block originally was a 350. rebuilt it last time with a n/a 400 smallblock that was pretty hostile. lost the engine to hurricane Ike. am now in the process of building another 400 small block with a weiand 177supercharger. last time around I was hitting 70 mph with a light load should gain about 5mph this time. I've had to refresh the upolstery once repainted it once had to rebuild trailer. my engine had water in the oil when I bought it. needed paint, upolstery. etc etc. the scorpion is a comfortable boat. the wife and I do stay overnight in the cabin. if you choose to go this route, you do have your work cut out for you. You will need to scale back your budget and reuse all parts posssible. save the Gafrig stuff for later work on the basics. need more info just ask
I'd like to talk to you about the boat. I have alot of questions maybe u can answer.
Whats your email? PM it to me...
Thanks!
Sam
Old 08-05-2010, 10:52 AM
Registered

I don't know if my pm worked. my email address; [email protected]
Old 08-06-2010, 10:11 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by doggiedave View Post
I don't know if my pm worked. my email address; [email protected]
Sent ya an email..