Scorpion 230XL question >

Scorpion 230XL question

Notices

Scorpion 230XL question

Old 08-22-2011, 10:21 PM
Registered

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by hantunca
You might be interested in a 1984 CC Stinger 230 XL that is for sale: http://www.chriscraftstingers.com/ga...leveland%20230.
Looks good! Kind of far though.
Old 08-23-2011, 09:39 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Let me try to help you Fellow Boater.
First, What year is the Chris Craft? What is the asking price or how much is the boat? If it does need a new MerCruiser drive. My guess the Chris Craft came with a 5.7 350/260hp as that comes standard when you by the boat new. If so, then the MerCruiser is a Alpha 1 drive. Alpha drives runs up to 300hp and Bravo drives runs up to 400hp and Bravo X runs up to 450hp. Then you would have to figure out how much it would co$t for a new Alpha 1 outdrive. If you can it would be very helpful at this point when you take a look at the boat to take pictures and more pictures of the engine and outdrive and boat then post them up on the forums. More information will be easier.
Here is some more Information on outdrive cost.
http://www.michiganmotorz.com/marine...soms-c-84.html
Old 08-31-2011, 12:28 AM
Registered

Here is a Chris Craft that I found in NY...
http://for-sale.yakaz.com/r/?wIqvWcU...vsR4sKKA%3D%3D
Old 09-01-2011, 10:52 PM
Registered

1984 230XL Scorpion with the black/yellow/tan "stinger" paint job. Boat needs alot of work, the guy is offering me 1,000 for the boat. Owner lost job, couldnt pay storage bills so they took boat off his hands and its been sitting for 4 years.
Im going to see it again next week to get started with the yard manager to do compression test. I do have pics, but cannot post them due to my level of membership.
Thanks!!

Last edited by CigaretteSam; 09-01-2011 at 11:00 PM.
Old 09-02-2011, 02:29 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by CigaretteSam
1984 230XL Scorpion with the black/yellow/tan "stinger" paint job. Boat needs alot of work, the guy is offering me 1,000 for the boat. Owner lost job, couldnt pay storage bills so they took boat off his hands and its been sitting for 4 years.
Im going to see it again next week to get started with the yard manager to do compression test. I do have pics, but cannot post them due to my level of membership.
Thanks!!
Just get a free account at Photobucket.com then load pictures to photobucket then click on photos then post here. Look at me I am just a regular member and have no problem loading photos here. keep us posted on the 23XL.
Old 09-03-2011, 04:17 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by ESCOBAR
Just get a free account at Photobucket.com then load pictures to photobucket then click on photos then post here. Look at me I am just a regular member and have no problem loading photos here. keep us posted on the 23XL.
Will post pictures when I get home tomorrow. I'll get engine/drive pics.
Old 09-05-2011, 05:23 PM
Registered

Here are the pictures of the engine/drive:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Today I removed the spark plugs with the help of some penetrating oil and then thought of putting wd40 in but as stated, that'll wash the cylinder walls....what should I use??....lined the spark plugs up in the way I took them out so I can put them back in after I come back in a few days and spray them again....

Last edited by CigaretteSam; 09-06-2011 at 03:21 PM.
Old 09-07-2011, 07:06 PM
Registered

Nice pictures that you took of the 1984 Chris Craft Scorpion 23XL. From the pictures I have to say that it is a 7.4 MerCruiser 454/330hp. And the MerCruiser outdrive is a Bravo 1. Now from the picture of the Bravo 1 outdrive you can see that the outdrive is missing the fin that is located on the bottom of the outdrive which looks like an upside down sharks fin. So, you would have to pull the lower outdrive off and replace the Fin. And probably have to change the gimble bearing too. The shaft that holds the prop looks good and straight which is good news. You might want to check the tilt motor for the outdrive to see if the tilt goes up and down and also check out the oil inside the tilt motor to see if it is pure oil and not milky or creamy. Then you might as well change the outdrive oil too. On the engine if I were you I would get a local boat mechanic to over look the engine. (Their are some marine mechanics under marine services on Craigslist .com that will only charge for an hour or two) from the pictures of the engine it looks like it is not in that bad of shape for a 1984. From what I can say so far the outdrive needs to be pulled The engine might need a rebuild as it depends on your budget and how much you are willing to put in the Chris Craft but after that is all done you are going to have one heck of a nice looking Chris Craft Scorpion. The next time when you go see the boat take some pictures of the whole outside of the boat to show what looks is like.

Here is a Video to give you a look on a Bravo 1 outdrive. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NYFXJhOE8Y0

Last edited by ESCOBAR; 09-07-2011 at 07:22 PM.
Old 09-08-2011, 09:18 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CigaretteSam
Today I removed the spark plugs with the help of some penetrating oil and then thought of putting wd40 in but as stated, that'll wash the cylinder walls....what should I use??....lined the spark plugs up in the way I took them out so I can put them back in after I come back in a few days and spray them again....
Just squirt regular engine oil in the cylinders if need be? WD40 will wash the cylinder walls and cause excessive friction on the piston rings. Regular oil will lubricate and seal.
Crank it over and see if there is oil pressure also. One way to test this without turning the engine over is to remove the distributor and using a tool (I made my own)that will fit into the oil pump , hook it to an electric drill and spin the pump. You should see pressure on the gauge. If you do, the pump should be ok , so put distributor back and try to turn over the engine to see if it starts.

Last edited by Stinger390X; 09-08-2011 at 09:21 PM.
Old 09-08-2011, 09:19 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

dupe...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.