Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Chris Craft
39ft. Scorpion Staggered motors...... >

39ft. Scorpion Staggered motors......

Notices

39ft. Scorpion Staggered motors......

Old 10-12-2013, 12:05 AM
Registered

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Default 39ft. Scorpion Staggered motors......

I've got a 1981 39 Scorpion with staggered 450hp motors, 72c tranny's and TRS drives...... Boat is in nice shape but the transom is soft. Boat ran just over 60. I know what there worth as turnkey boats but not sure what to ask with the soft transom. I've got a real good local guy that will do the transom for $1500 if I strip it but I dought I'd have the time so I'm looking for offers on it......???? With or without trailer.
Old 10-12-2013, 08:33 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What are they worth turnkey?
Old 10-15-2013, 06:21 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Not a whole lot. The CC Stingers and Scorpions are known for soft transoms. In very good shape 25k. In lesser condition- 10-12 realistically.

Wannabe
Old 10-15-2013, 10:39 PM
Registered

Lesser condition is probably more like $5000-$15,000 providing they run, package and condition..... As for "good shape" to real nice with transom replaced I've seen them from $18000- upwards of $40,000 and a near original perfect one just recently sold for $59,000.
I've got someone interested in it at $10,000 with the 450's and I just offered it to him with fresh 330's for $8,000. It also comes with a perfect/like new set of freshwater low hour drives.
Old 10-18-2013, 09:09 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have never seen a stinger with staggered engines before. Must be home brew?
Could you post pics and is it a full stagger or partial? (just wondering about room in engine bay?)

My friend has a Profile with staggered and it is balanced very nicely. Boat operates very smooth and incredibly fast! His boat is the only one I have ever been in that can get on plane with one engine!!! His drives are also offset about a foot or so on external boxes to give even more balance. This thing clips along at 100mph easily.
I wonder if the powerplants are swapped out of the Stinger if it can do 100mp plus?
Old 10-19-2013, 08:27 AM
Registered

It is a Scorpion not a stinger and it is a factory set up. The engine bay is HUGE, you can still work on the front of the port/forward motor and it's a full staggered, the forward motors (port) starbord side exhaust runs over the top of the rear (starboard) motors valve cover. The driveshaft runs inside of a large 2 piece aluminum tube. I thing the motors are on @ 19-21 center. Probably as close as you can get 2TRS drives. I know a couple of guys that have been on it and have seen her run 60-62, that's incredible for such a big beast but that's the advantage of staggered motors!!!!
I've been told on other forums that the boat is VERY rare and recently told it us possibly 1 of 3 built, if that's the case I'm having the transom done and lusting her for all the $$$. Hate to sound greedy but $$ is $$. PM me a cell number and I'll text you some pics.
Old 10-23-2013, 07:16 AM
Registered

Wow! One of three made...?
Sounds very interesting.
I can't give you my phone # as I don't have picture capabilities on it. I have a cheap phone to make calls only as I got rid of my smartphone about a year ago because the telcomms were raping me every month
I would like some pics of the engine bay and how they configured the seating area.
If you post some pics I would appreciate it or send them to my email at ve3lt at rac.ca
Thanks.
Old 10-23-2013, 08:40 AM
Registered

There are pics on my other thread that you've commented on also. If your interested in buying the boat I can take new pics and send them to you.....???
Old 10-26-2013, 08:30 AM
Registered

Thanks for the offer but I am presently re-powering starboard side with new engine on my boat. (that will be a few dollars!)
I just saw the pics on the other thread and the boat looks very interesting. The seating arrangement looks particularly early 80's and you can tell it was one of the very first Scorpion/Stingers as the windshield has a very sharp bend in it. The put less of a bend on later 84' and up models with teak surrounds.

Too bad about the transom...If someone is ambitious this thing would be awesome! Other than beefing up the transom, I would also update the upholstery. That design looks very retro but I find it quite ugly. I think a modernization of the seat design and day bed would do wonders to make the boat more appealing.

Have you spoke to Han over at the Chris Craft site? He has lots of info about all CC's and might have some insight into this particular model. It must be rare as I have never seen one before...
Old 10-26-2013, 09:23 AM
Registered

Thanks, Han has emailed me but we haven't spoken yet. I've been in contact with Irwin at Irwin marine and he believes it's a boat that was ordered for a friend of his Tony from Governors Island and possibly 1 of 3 staggered, full cabin 39 Scorpions built in 81

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.