Gladiator pics

Old 12-18-2006, 10:30 AM
Joe
Offshore Cowboy
Platinum Member

Received 28 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Re: Gladiator pics

Originally Posted by thisistank
I love it when you get all rialed up about Cigarette.

Now don't kill the messanger here but this is what I was told from those in the know about factory support for SOME of the Cig race teams.

"Why would Cigarette give money to a team that does not win consistantly and does not have a solid racing (the team) history?"

Remember, I do believe they helped out somewhat when Phil raced the Rio Roses Cig.

Your other point about the Kilo boat I don't get. You have to at least give it to Skip for dumping endless coin into the kilo boat and attempt to go after the record. From what I heard, the boat would've done just fine if they would've padded the bottom. But that's not a Cigarette is it? So they could've padded the bottom and gone after it again and taken sh!t for changing the bottom of a one off boat to beat the record and basically not get credit for doing so since it wouldn't be a true Cigarette bottom, or they could just call it a day. They decided to go with second choice.

All in all though, it's like I said in the reply above. It's a shame they don't at least converse with the racers in thier boats. They don't have to poor money to them, but a little communication would be nice.
...and it still ran 171.?????? MPH? Not bad for first timers~!
Old 12-18-2006, 12:44 PM
Registered

Received 3,024 Likes on 991 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe
...and it still ran 171.?????? MPH? Not bad for first timers~!
Exactly!!!
Old 12-18-2006, 12:45 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Joe
It sounds like somebody reeeeeeally doesn't like Skip much!
My thing is, he hates Cig and Skip so much by he still owns a Cig. What gives?!
Old 12-18-2006, 12:54 PM
Joe
Offshore Cowboy
Platinum Member

Received 28 Likes on 15 Posts

It must be one of those new "Good Cop/Bad Cop" marketing promo' things that my friend's sister's cousin's bosses' kids told that guy about......

You know...... the same way we hear about everything else around here.
Old 12-18-2006, 01:10 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Actually, I love the brand and am a loyalist. My frustration is that the company has drifted from the roots of its greatness and become nothing more than a marketing tool for a car dealer. How can you put world champion and offshore legend on the side of the boat with a straight face?? My hope is that somewhere along the line somebody steps up and brings the heritage and performance back to the brand. I think that Skip could do it, as well as a few others they just are not interested.

Will I buy another Cig?? Wouldnt own anything else..... It wont be a current model because there is no benefit. I would rather have Philly refurb my 03 or any other TS that I own before spending all that loot with the factory. My next boat will be a 38 with #6's............
Old 12-18-2006, 01:34 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 87 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by dhlaw
Actually, I love the brand and am a loyalist. My frustration is that the company has drifted from the roots of its greatness and become nothing more than a marketing tool for a car dealer. How can you put world champion and offshore legend on the side of the boat with a straight face?? My hope is that somewhere along the line somebody steps up and brings the heritage and performance back to the brand. I think that Skip could do it, as well as a few others they just are not interested.

Will I buy another Cig?? Wouldnt own anything else..... It wont be a current model because there is no benefit. I would rather have Philly refurb my 03 or any other TS that I own before spending all that loot with the factory. My next boat will be a 38 with #6's............
Why do you keep bringing up the car dealer association? Because Skip used to own some auto dealerships? You keep mentioning it like its a bad thing. Kinda like how people talk about attorneys.
Anyhow, I think that Skip has done alot of good for Cigarette and has moved them in the right direction. While I do not agree with all of his decisions and practices, I firmly believe he has been an asset to Cigarette.
Old 12-18-2006, 06:31 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by pm203
Why do you keep bringing up the car dealer association? Because Skip used to own some auto dealerships? You keep mentioning it like its a bad thing. Kinda like how people talk about attorneys.
Anyhow, I think that Skip has done alot of good for Cigarette and has moved them in the right direction. While I do not agree with all of his decisions and practices, I firmly believe he has been an asset to Cigarette.
I agree 100% with this opinion. Though I would like to see Cigarette focus on racing and continuing it's heritage as a dominant race figure, I too think Skip has elevated Cigarette while he's been at the helm. I know Dhlaw has had some bad personal experience with the factory while racing himself and has felt the lack of support from the factory first hand and that is B.S. (in my opinion). But overall I think Cigarette continues to be a dominate force in the Offhshore powerboat scene with or without the racing.

And don't forget that anyone with the knowledge and determination can take a Cigarette to a world champion....I.E. Phil in early 00's with the F-2 boat (Lucky Strikes boat).

Last edited by thisistank; 12-18-2006 at 06:35 PM.
Old 12-19-2006, 09:31 AM
Charter Mod
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Until racing becomes anything more than an afterthought, I see no reason for Cigarette to spend a dime. Powerboat racing has been ruined by greedy selfish individuals that have no care for the growth of the sport as opposed to their pocket books.

I do feel sorry for the racers that the organizations cannot generate the interest needed to get more factories to support them.
Old 12-19-2006, 10:15 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by BLee
Until racing becomes anything more than an afterthought, I see no reason for Cigarette to spend a dime. Powerboat racing has been ruined by greedy selfish individuals that have no care for the growth of the sport as opposed to their pocket books.

I do feel sorry for the racers that the organizations cannot generate the interest needed to get more factories to support them.
Well said.
Old 12-19-2006, 06:47 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by BLee

Exactly!

Quick Reply: Gladiator pics

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.