Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Cigarette

Notices

Old 08-04-2006, 05:11 PM
Joe
Offshore Cowboy
Platinum Member

Received 28 Likes on 15 Posts
Default FEEDBACK: 38' T/S vs. 39' T/S

Who's owned both a 38' T/S and 39' Top Gun, and which do you like better (and why) -------- Pro's and Con's on both.

Also, which would you rather have in "big" water (6+ footers and up). Staggered/side-by-side.
Old 08-04-2006, 06:01 PM
Registered

Received 3,020 Likes on 987 Posts
Default Re: FEEDBACK: 38' T/S vs. 39' T/S

Dude, STOOOOOP it! Just buy the Skater, keep the gun in fl. and call it a day! don't sweat the small stuff (insurance). You're a baller bro!
Old 08-07-2006, 12:34 PM
Joe
Offshore Cowboy
Platinum Member

It's funny you say that..... the boat keeps lingering around. But, I can't get anyone to insure a second boat (either my T/G or a Skater) for Florida (considering I live in Houston).

I even considered, and backed out at the last minute, a 46' Rough Rider w/ Sterlings. The seller was willing to insure it thru one of his business entities (needless to say he's a high-net-worth individual). But, I really want a Skater (or possibly MTI - but I prefer the larger cockpit).

Insurance Guys hellllllllllp!

P.S. I haven't heard back from OSO Insurance God? What happened? I sent you my info????????
Old 08-07-2006, 12:56 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Don't get rid of your gun Joe....after what the boat showed us last weekend it deserves to stay with you.....Just buy that cat...i know of a bada$$ 39 MTI ....Hope my TX boyz are doing well.....

mike
Old 08-07-2006, 05:55 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Boat insurance in Florida right now is hard if not impossible to come by. If you do find it the rates are incedibly high and there is no wind strom damage insurance.
Old 08-08-2006, 09:12 AM
Charter Mod
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe
Who's owned both a 38' T/S and 39' Top Gun, and which do you like better (and why) -------- Pro's and Con's on both.

Also, which would you rather have in "big" water (6+ footers and up). Staggered/side-by-side.
I'd rather have the 39 than the 38 purely for the staggered setup. The balance of the boat is better for the rough, and you get the bigger engine hatch to lounge on. There's barely, if any size difference in the cockpit. The only downside I can see is the staggered setup is more difficult to dock, but who gives a damn.

I was in the exact same position as you earlier in the year. I planned to keep my Gun in Florida and buy a cat for here. That was the plan until a guy that Phil referred called to buy my Gun out of the blue. I decided to go ahead and sell it. I'm probably going to look at some Gladiators for Florida in the Spring or next Fall, possibly a nice CC.

Keeping the Gun you have and buying the cat makes more sense to me than selling your Gun for a 39. It isn't THAT much better when you can have two killer boats in my opinion.

Good luck. Can't go wrong whatever you decide.
Old 08-08-2006, 12:01 PM
Joe
Offshore Cowboy
Platinum Member

The question actually stems from just coming back from Cig. and seeing Tim G's 700EFI 39'. It is sweeeeet.

So, I started thinking (which is usually a bad thing!), when they work out the transmission issues, later this winter, it might be a good time to consider selling my '03 and moving into a boat that you shouldn't actually have to "throttle down" when you're on vacation/poker runs in fear of grenading a drive while out of town (which, luckily, I haven't had happen since 2001 on Stu's KW run --- in my old boat).

Anyway, I'm pretty much resigned that the Skater plan is on hold (due to insurance issues), and really not happy about the whole idea of trailering my boat back-and-fourth. It's just a pain in the butt. I'd be nice to fly in, go to Spinnaker and hop in the boat, then fly home. Oh...... and I really like the 700 pkg. w/ the (soon to be) reliable "Mini 6's" NTX drives.
Old 08-08-2006, 02:49 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe
I'd be nice to fly in, go to Spinnaker and hop in the boat, then fly home.....
Yeah it does!!!
Old 08-08-2006, 03:22 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

look who appeared ..what going on bubba

mike
Old 08-08-2006, 04:53 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Tim G has a 39 Cig with Merc 700's! AWESOME...I have not heard from Tim G on OSO for a long time and the last time I saw him was at the Miami show in the Cig booth. Tim G...you out there? Tell me the cruise and WOT numbers on your boat...any pics?.....it sounds killer!

Quick Reply: FEEDBACK: 38' T/S vs. 39' T/S

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.