Help a sista out... >

Help a sista out...

Notices

Help a sista out...

Old 09-26-2006, 08:25 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help a sista out...

Okay, fellas...I need some advice. I have a 2005 39' TG with a blown header. Us ladies don't get under the hatch very often, but... I do. My problem is that the boat/motors (Merc 525's staggered) are 4 months out of warranty. I have had problems with the starboard for the past year, but nothing correctly documented to be covered as a pre-existing problem. From what a little birdie told me...CMI (manufacturer of the headers) requires a signed waiver for the headers being placed on staggered motors, adding spacers as a support system for the long spand. Cig didn't add these spacers, claiming that the design of the hull didn't require them. What is happening is head cracks, water gets into the cylinders, etc.,...resulting in a blown motor. Any advice from anyone that has had this, or similar problems?
Old 09-26-2006, 10:43 PM
Joe
Offshore Cowboy
Platinum Member

Received 28 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Re: Help a sista out...

Hey Kelli,

We've all had (or are about to have) problems w/ these headers (both down-turns and straight-backs, like on your staggered boat). A racer friend I know went thru 3 sets last year on their 525 boat (in 1 season) on their staggered boat.

Good luck. If you wind up needing a pair and can't get help on finding a "deal", give me a call and I'll see if the guys that got me my new ones last year can come up w/ another new set.

IF SO, THEN.... It will certainly cost you (and Dave) a couple burned disks of the great music you guys had that we played on the stereo in boat at the last Austin Poker Run!!!! Hook a brother up!!

P.S. Guess this means yau'll aren't making Sarasota. Don't worry... we'll, no doubt, have an extra drink or two just for you Dallas guys (and gals!).

Joe
Old 09-26-2006, 11:09 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by txspeedfreak
Okay, fellas...I need some advice. I have a 2005 39' TG with a blown header. Us ladies don't get under the hatch very often, but... I do. My problem is that the boat/motors (Merc 525's staggered) are 4 months out of warranty. I have had problems with the starboard for the past year, but nothing correctly documented to be covered as a pre-existing problem. From what a little birdie told me...CMI (manufacturer of the headers) requires a signed waiver for the headers being placed on staggered motors, adding spacers as a support system for the long spand. Cig didn't add these spacers, claiming that the design of the hull didn't require them. What is happening is head cracks, water gets into the cylinders, etc.,...resulting in a blown motor. Any advice from anyone that has had this, or similar problems?
A. Call CMI and send them the leaky header to see if it can be repaired. Even if not under warranty, the repair will be a modest cost if it can be repaired.

B. Order a tailpipe brace for the staggered side so you have some support.

Best of luck.
Old 09-27-2006, 09:10 AM
GLH
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

I would call Cig seems a problem that begun under warranty.
Old 09-27-2006, 10:28 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 87 Likes on 35 Posts

Mine was bad after 30 hours. TNT had it repaired for me under warranty.