Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Cigarette
Hopefully Buying a Cig--Need HELP! >

Hopefully Buying a Cig--Need HELP!

Notices

Hopefully Buying a Cig--Need HELP!

Old 09-13-2007, 04:23 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hopefully Buying a Cig--Need HELP!

http://adcache.boattraderonline.com/6/4/8/89201248.htm
LOTO
Anybody know this boat. I am thinking about buying it.

I am 23 years old and I live in Toronto Canada. This will be my first offshore and I am looking for advice. I am set on a Cigarette. I love them. These boats are the reason why I love offshore boats. I have been saving my money and I am nearly ready for a purchase.

I need all of your help on this one. I am not registered here, it will be somehting I do in the next couple of days so I can get serious about buying a boat. OSO is a great learning tool for a guy like me who doesnt know what he is doing. I love this boat because I can fit all of my friends in it, it has a cabin for weekends in Georgian Bay and it is big enough to stick on Lake Ontario at the Marina and take broads out for rides during the summer which is obviously why I want it (and to go fast)

This one is in my current price range. The guy said the interior is ****. Said motors were good. Told me drives had roughly 350 hours on them.

What kind of speed would I be looking at?
What can I do to these motors to make them 'gogogo' faster?
I am looking to break 70mph, or at least do 65.
I know these are not high performance motors but I am willing to get them worked on in order to make them run better and faster. I dont have a ton of money to spend but I want to get faster motors, new interior and according to the sales guy the boat needs a couple of days with a buffer?

Can I wet or dry sand it?

What would you pay roughly for a new interior?
Old 09-13-2007, 04:38 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

survey!!!
Old 09-13-2007, 06:20 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 774 Likes on 353 Posts

Get Receipts for the work done, Get a Survey done, get a full membership here so you can see pictures and research like hell. Some boats that have 50 hours can look like crap, and some that have 500 hours can look brand new. If you are willing to spend that much money buy a plane ticket and check it out in person - the extra money will be worth it.

I don't think you are going to see 70 out of two 330 horse 454's. Either way make sure you are confident in that re-power.
Old 09-13-2007, 07:35 PM
Steve_H

your better off buying Warpaint's 28 Apache for about the same money. the bullet at Raymond's is a pos.

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/s...=168557&page=2

Old 09-13-2007, 09:19 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm on Lake Ontario . Visit Toronto every couple weeks .
I would say buy the best condition boat you can afford .
Fixing boats is seldom cheap unless you have a ton of talent .
If you had a ton of money buy a better boat . I have a Cig Top Gun and love it . Mine is a 1995 but in really great condition .
Your welcome to give me a call anytime and i will help out the best I can .
Paul 519-223-2713
Old 09-13-2007, 09:21 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

That boat has been for sale for a while. With the market like it is, I'd offer ALOT less (Like 26-28K) and see if he bites. Also spread it out over weeks/months and don't seem too hyped. Tell them you are looking at several boats and that you have to subtract the amount of money to get this boat in good shape. Steve may have a good point with the Apache, but I, like you, am VERY partial to a Cig. I also love the looks and respect that owning a Cig gets you. I may have the cheapest boat at any given poker run, but I can run with any boat and people still come up and ask questions about my boat. You need to join here and do some searches for Bullets. They are unique in both cabin and deck layout. They are also old school and slightly heavy, they won't run the speeds of newer stepped hulls. But they can take just about any seas (much better than other makes).

I also did not have much to spend, but will probably spend between 15 and 25K over the next 5 years to get it how I want it. Now for the bad news. Offshore boats are very expensive. I've spent over $600 in a single day for poker run fuel.

Responses to you 1st post are:

Low 60's for current stock power.
Speed costs. Blowers are probably the cheapest way to go, but will still cost 3-4K per engine and running mild boost (550-575HP) will get you into the low/mid 70's.
For long engine life and better fuel economy, I'd probably suggest 540's.
Interior cabin rebuild will cost 2-3 grand (A guess?)
Cockpit uhpolstery will cost 1-2 grand (A guess?)
Try to clean and buff versus sanding and painting, because that can set you back 5-10K for a simple paint job worthy of a Cig logo.

AND GET A SURVEY. A NEW TRANSOM CAN COST 5 GRAND!
Old 09-13-2007, 09:32 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

You may also want to start another thread with "Looking at a Bullet" in the title, that should bring some of the Bullet guys to the table. BTW here is a couple pics of the unique deck I was talking about. It's Asymetrical. Oops, I didn't bring up the thumbnails of the sale ad. He already had a pic of the deck.
Attached Thumbnails Hopefully Buying a Cig--Need HELP!-hpim1052.jpg   Hopefully Buying a Cig--Need HELP!-hpim1053.jpg  

Last edited by Hollowpoint; 09-13-2007 at 09:39 PM.
Old 09-14-2007, 12:20 AM
Registered

There are much nicer Bullets for sale.

Keep looking
Old 09-14-2007, 07:18 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 774 Likes on 353 Posts

Originally Posted by WAYNOFZR

AND GET A SURVEY. A NEW TRANSOM CAN COST 5 GRAND!
Hey Wayne I meant to ask you - Are you a Virginia Beach Officer????
Old 09-14-2007, 08:12 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would definitley ask for paperwork to VERIFY that the engines are fresh; parts list, labor, who did it, call them and discuss the work done etc. Looks nice though. Pretty mild engines.

Quick Reply: Hopefully Buying a Cig--Need HELP!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.