38 from the 80's in Ocean City, MD

Notices

38 from the 80's in Ocean City, MD

Old 09-24-2007, 11:33 PM
10x
10x
VIP Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The "Beast" Cig is currently owned by a friend of mine, and is undergoing a "complete" drivetrain refreshening. Hyperscision did a HORRIBLE job on the engines, and after waiting over 2 years, yes, 2 YEARS, for the engines to be completed, all he got was the runaround.
Paid them about 50K, and in return got a pile of used up junk put into new boxes. That's right !!! When my friend finally got fed-up with all the excuses on why the engines were still not finished, he went to Hyperscsion's shop and demanded all his money back. They told him that they bought all the parts, so they could'nt refund his money back, but would give him all the parts. They gave him boxes upon boxes of parts that were supposed to be all the "new" parts that he paid for. The boxes were ALL sealed and stapled closed, so he figured that they were never opened. Upon taking all the engine parts to another engine builder, they immediatly opened up all the boxes. What they found, was that all the "new" parts were removed, and replaced with junk used up garbage that you could'nt sell at a Flee market.
The aluminum heads were in stapled Dart Big M boxes and when opened, they found Dart 345 heads that looked like they spent a decade in salt water. They're not even sellable. Every part that was supposed to be new that was in a box, was used, and was just plain "junk" !!! Pistons, connecting rods, cams, lifters, cranks, valves, everything was used, and put into "new" boxes and stapled shut so it looked like the boxes had never been opened.

I could go on and on here about how they shafted my friend, but I'll just leave it at that. The boat will see a fresh pair of tall deck blower motors real soon. The drives are off and so are the gimbles and transom assemblys. Everything is being freshed up from the rear seat back to the prop nut. I will probably see the boat again next week and take a bunch of pics of it for you guys. I seen it last friday, but I did'nt have a camera with me.

And, BTW, my friend that owns it does not go here on OSO, so you'll never see a post from him.
www.chicagopowerboat.com
Old 09-25-2007, 11:33 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 46 Likes on 31 Posts
Default Fairing

Originally Posted by GOFASTJUNKIE
Who did the fairing work? Did you have to build it from scratch?
We built it out of 1/8" aluminum with a brake and a welder. It turned out great.

Driver - High's Fuel Your Journey Cigarette Racing Team #598
Old 09-25-2007, 12:43 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 344 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by Hot Duck
Two more from OC Barry.

1. Lethal Weapon Cigarette (and Lucky Strike Apache?).

2. Revenge Scarab.
I'm not sure what year it was (maybe '90 or '91) , but I was in OC for the White Marlin Open. That boat was stored on a lift in back of the owner's condo, which was where they were weighing in the fish. They went out for a ride and either stuffed it or spun out and some people got hurt. I think that someone broke their back and someone else broke their leg or something like that. I can remember that everyone was talking about it. I also can remember thinking that it would be soo cool to one day own a boat like that (although I didn't think that it would ever be possible).....it's funny how sometimes dreams do come true!!!!
Old 09-25-2007, 12:46 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Originally Posted by 10x
The "Beast" Cig is currently owned by a friend of mine, and is undergoing a "complete" drivetrain refreshening. Hyperscision did a HORRIBLE job on the engines, and after waiting over 2 years, yes, 2 YEARS, for the engines to be completed, all he got was the runaround.
Paid them about 50K, and in return got a pile of used up junk put into new boxes. That's right !!! When my friend finally got fed-up with all the excuses on why the engines were still not finished, he went to Hyperscsion's shop and demanded all his money back. They told him that they bought all the parts, so they could'nt refund his money back, but would give him all the parts. They gave him boxes upon boxes of parts that were supposed to be all the "new" parts that he paid for. The boxes were ALL sealed and stapled closed, so he figured that they were never opened. Upon taking all the engine parts to another engine builder, they immediatly opened up all the boxes. What they found, was that all the "new" parts were removed, and replaced with junk used up garbage that you could'nt sell at a Flee market.
The aluminum heads were in stapled Dart Big M boxes and when opened, they found Dart 345 heads that looked like they spent a decade in salt water. They're not even sellable. Every part that was supposed to be new that was in a box, was used, and was just plain "junk" !!! Pistons, connecting rods, cams, lifters, cranks, valves, everything was used, and put into "new" boxes and stapled shut so it looked like the boxes had never been opened.

I could go on and on here about how they shafted my friend, but I'll just leave it at that. The boat will see a fresh pair of tall deck blower motors real soon. The drives are off and so are the gimbles and transom assemblys. Everything is being freshed up from the rear seat back to the prop nut. I will probably see the boat again next week and take a bunch of pics of it for you guys. I seen it last friday, but I did'nt have a camera with me.

And, BTW, my friend that owns it does not go here on OSO, so you'll never see a post from him.
Relax Frank!! ....and take a few deep breaths. Who in the heck is Hyperscision? ...and what do they have to do with all of this???
Old 09-25-2007, 11:35 PM
10x
10x
VIP Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just an update on what's going on with the Beast. Can't wait to see it in the water again.
www.chicagopowerboat.com
Old 09-26-2007, 07:04 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 46 Likes on 31 Posts
Default Leathal Weapon

Originally Posted by OldSchool
I'm not sure what year it was (maybe '90 or '91) , but I was in OC for the White Marlin Open. That boat was stored on a lift in back of the owner's condo, which was where they were weighing in the fish. They went out for a ride and either stuffed it or spun out and some people got hurt. I think that someone broke their back and someone else broke their leg or something like that. I can remember that everyone was talking about it. I also can remember thinking that it would be soo cool to one day own a boat like that (although I didn't think that it would ever be possible).....it's funny how sometimes dreams do come true!!!!
Actually we had a lot of injuries, but we didn't stuff or spin out. We tripped off of a rogue wave at 88 MPH (We know that because the telltale speedometer was on 88) and came down hard on the side of the boat. Bill broke his back, Gary broke his leg completely through, and Charlie broke his pelvis in 4 places. Everyone else was just bruised. I helped load the injured into ambulances and a Medivac helicopter. It was definitely the second worst day of my life. The good news is that everyone recovered and lived on, until Gary's passing in 1999.

There was an interesting smart - Alec bystander comment, 'Oh they must have been drinking." The Coast Guard Lieutenant walked right over to the guy and corrected him; the LT said, "No, we know these guys, they don't drink and boat, they have iced tea with lunch. But you could easily see that without the LT stepping up, an UNTRUE ugly rumor could have started.

Driver - High's Fuel Your Journey Cigarette Racing Team #598
Old 09-26-2007, 07:41 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I remember being down at the beach when that happened. A lifegaurd, i think, was the guy who informed us of what happened. Had to of been a scary moment......
Old 09-26-2007, 08:12 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Originally Posted by O.C.Barry
Actually we had a lot of injuries, but we didn't stuff or spin out. We tripped off of a rogue wave at 88 MPH (We know that because the telltale speedometer was on 88) and came down hard on the side of the boat. Bill broke his back, Gary broke his leg completely through, and Charlie broke his pelvis in 4 places. Everyone else was just bruised. I helped load the injured into ambulances and a Medivac helicopter. It was definitely the second worst day of my life. The good news is that everyone recovered and lived on, until Gary's passing in 1999.

There was an interesting smart - Alec bystander comment, 'Oh they must have been drinking." The Coast Guard Lieutenant walked right over to the guy and corrected him; the LT said, "No, we know these guys, they don't drink and boat, they have iced tea with lunch. But you could easily see that without the LT stepping up, an UNTRUE ugly rumor could have started.
Thanks for the clarification!! Like I said in my post, at that time I never thought that I'd have one of the "Cigarette" boats!!

For the record, I was drunk at the time but wasn't the guy who said anything about the boaters being drunk!!
Old 09-26-2007, 08:20 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

whice boat was that in ?
Old 09-26-2007, 10:12 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Originally Posted by 38scarab
whice boat was that in ?
Lethal Weapon

Quick Reply: 38 from the 80's in Ocean City, MD

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.