Original Adv 1981  27' Squadron  Xii >

Original Adv 1981 27' Squadron Xii

Notices

Original Adv 1981 27' Squadron Xii

Old 11-05-2008, 02:05 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by olredalert
------I have an unrigged 24 Squadron. I also am in the middle of another resto that is costing me a fortune. With that said, I would sell it with the proviso that Mike Aronow OKs the sale. I think I can safely say that he would like to see these boats be built again.
------Also can direct someone so inclined to a 27 Squadron for sale near me that needs a total resto, but is a very solid old boat (no engine or drive). These two boats (24 and 27) are nearly identical other than length. PM me........Bill S
please mail pictures of the 24 and the other items you have as well. i am interested in the 24
why must you get ok from MA? are they his boats?

regards,
C
[email protected]
Old 11-05-2008, 06:57 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This 24 was still on Chesepeake Bay near Bay Bridge on Kent Island, MD this summer. 1980, serial # 001.

These pics taken in '05. Perfect all original condition. Sorry no pics of interior - he wasn't home.
Attached Thumbnails Original Adv 1981  27' Squadron  Xii-img_0878.jpg   Original Adv 1981  27' Squadron  Xii-img_0879.jpg   Original Adv 1981  27' Squadron  Xii-img_0880.jpg  

Old 11-06-2008, 05:27 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How does that boat handle ? Is it stable ?
Old 11-06-2008, 02:57 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Stable - I would say yea. But everybody as different measuring stick when it comes to how a boat rides.

My 27 rides a little higher in the water at cruise speeds than a similiar boat because of the huge outside lifting strakes. The strakes are 5" wide (inners are more normal at 3") which I'm sure was to give the boat more lift, therefore speed, for a single engine 27'er. 5"' is more like the size strakes you would see on a twin engine 30 -35 footer, that weighs twice as much !!

I think the 27 magnums and 28 Cigarettes may be even smaller than 3" ? Twin engines and almost 2k less lbs means they also rode much smoother than the 24 & 27 squadrons would..........

They all have racing K-planes which makes all the difference for ride attitude. Lock 'em down and you can cruise at 18mph pulling wakeboards, or crush waves at 30 mph and ride like a big cruiser.

The 24's and 27's have a 7'3" beam, but since they have a relatively low freeboard, they look wide, and have a low center of gravity. My 27 can be VERY squirrely at speed in rough water (which is fun to me) at times, but mainly because I still do not have hydraulic steering - a must to be safe, and really enjoy this kind of boat at speed.

In thoery the 24 would be a rougher ride than the 27 because you are getting away from the desired length to width ratio for an 0ffshore boat. A 24 superboat or excalibur has it right with maybe 6.5 feet?? The 24 squadron would be very similiar in ride to a 24 firefox I would imagine, with the strakes being the only difference - they seem to have the same race layup with lots of bulkheads and huge stringers.

Stable enough to do this with it.... 4 adults 6 kids (I'm taking picture)......
Attached Thumbnails Original Adv 1981  27' Squadron  Xii-south-river-2007-028.jpg  
Old 11-07-2008, 05:31 AM
Registered

Thanks for all the good info. Sounds like Aronow got it right !!

Good lokkin boat !!
Old 12-15-2008, 05:42 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Hang Time 27
Stable - I would say yea. But everybody as different measuring stick when it comes to how a boat rides.

My 27 rides a little higher in the water at cruise speeds than a similiar boat because of the huge outside lifting strakes. The strakes are 5" wide (inners are more normal at 3") which I'm sure was to give the boat more lift, therefore speed, for a single engine 27'er. 5"' is more like the size strakes you would see on a twin engine 30 -35 footer, that weighs twice as much !!

I think the 27 magnums and 28 Cigarettes may be even smaller than 3" ? Twin engines and almost 2k less lbs means they also rode much smoother than the 24 & 27 squadrons would..........

They all have racing K-planes which makes all the difference for ride attitude. Lock 'em down and you can cruise at 18mph pulling wakeboards, or crush waves at 30 mph and ride like a big cruiser.

The 24's and 27's have a 7'3" beam, but since they have a relatively low freeboard, they look wide, and have a low center of gravity. My 27 can be VERY squirrely at speed in rough water (which is fun to me) at times, but mainly because I still do not have hydraulic steering - a must to be safe, and really enjoy this kind of boat at speed.

In thoery the 24 would be a rougher ride than the 27 because you are getting away from the desired length to width ratio for an 0ffshore boat. A 24 superboat or excalibur has it right with maybe 6.5 feet?? The 24 squadron would be very similiar in ride to a 24 firefox I would imagine, with the strakes being the only difference - they seem to have the same race layup with lots of bulkheads and huge stringers.

Hang Time why the Cig logos .. is it a CRT if a XEX I feel myself the SQ logos would be way cooler ?
Old 12-15-2008, 10:04 AM
Registered

Default Nice 27!!

Sunkin bought mine in 2004 - wonder what he did with it?
http://www.ameriserv.net/boat/ the boat was too small - picked up a Cafe

Originally Posted by Hang Time 27

Old 12-16-2008, 09:02 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by MikeyFIN
Hang Time why the Cig logos .. is it a CRT if a XEX I feel myself the SQ logos would be way cooler ?
It's an XEX, and had both ensignia on it when I got it. It was too cluttered and didn't add anything to the boat. Since Aronow apparently merged Squadron with Cigarette when he went back to it a year or two after starting Squadron12, and they were sold as cigarette 27's after that, and it seems this thing has always been titled as a cigarette, it was just simpler.......... and involves less explanation to 99.5% of people.

I guess it's kinda like a mid sixties cobra - is it a "AC" cobra, is it a "Ford" Cobra, or is it a "Shelby Cobra"?? Or is it all of them, or just any of them? I don't think most car guys really care.........only matters if it's one of the few hundred real ones, or a replica - and even then, a replica is better cause you can drive it. And in this case, we are only talking about 18 boats...............

Of course it would look cool labeled as a Squadron XII and painted gray with airbrushed alumn rivets all over it, and maybe a WWII Spitfire type gapping mouth full of teeth on it, and.....a "kill" record somewhere = a bunch of outlines of outdrives with red x's painted over them............that's what somebody with $$ might do. I'll just be stuck with my $8 dollar decals, and paying for braces for two kids this year instead of a Konrad drive.....
Attached Thumbnails Original Adv 1981  27' Squadron  Xii-27-cig-vette-side.jpg  

Last edited by Hang Time 27; 12-16-2008 at 09:12 PM.
Old 12-16-2008, 09:24 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Boats looking good my man. You still have the vette too? very cool.
Happy holidays.
Old 12-16-2008, 09:52 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by socalstone
Boats looking good my man. You still have the vette too? very cool.
Happy holidays.
Hey man! That pic is of when I first got boat. Still have vette, sort of. It got wiped out, and is begining it's second life as a custom tube framed, 1990 ZR-1 suspensioned, fender flared, two fours up through the hood monster.......will be back on road this summer without paint..........
Attached Thumbnails Original Adv 1981  27' Squadron  Xii-truck.jpg   Original Adv 1981  27' Squadron  Xii-img_1838.jpg   Original Adv 1981  27' Squadron  Xii-img_2222.jpg  

Quick Reply: Original Adv 1981 27' Squadron Xii

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.