Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Cigarette
Took the Cig out in some BIG water yesterday!! >

Took the Cig out in some BIG water yesterday!!

Notices

Took the Cig out in some BIG water yesterday!!

Old 12-05-2007, 01:22 PM
Registered

Received 3,020 Likes on 987 Posts
Default Took the Cig out in some BIG water yesterday!!

All I have to say is I sure am glad we own a Cigarette!!

People can talk all they want about big swell (6-8 footers, blah, blah, blah)

We haven't had the Cig out since Sept. and I was dying to get it wet so yesterday was the day!!! Then I checked NOAA and this is what I read

---EAST SANTA BARBARA CHANNEL FROM PT. CONCEPTION TO PT. MUGU INCLUDING SANTA CRUZ AND ANACAPA ISLANDS- 912 AM PST WED DEC 5 2007 ...SMALL CRAFT ADVISORY FOR HAZARDOUS SEAS REMAINS IN EFFECT THROUGH THIS EVENING... .TODAY...NW WINDS 10 TO 15 KT LATE IN THE MORNING...BECOMING VARIABLE 10 KT OR LESS. WIND WAVES 2 FT OR LESS. W SWELL 11 TO 13 FT AT 16 SECONDS.---

Yea, 11-13 foot swells! But I wanted to boat so I said, "F*CK IT!!" Figured we could cruise the harbor if it was too big (which I figued it was).

Went out, cautiously...The worst part was trying to get out of the harbor and past the breakwall with the swells staking up into waves. But once we were outside I just dropped the tabs and quartered the swell. Boat handled flawless. Ran out (against the swell) at 45-50 mph turned around and ran back with it at 60-65 mph with bumps up to 70. Needless to say it was fun (and a little scary). Being down in between swells where you can't see anything but huge walls of water is sureal.

All I could think about was, thank god we're in a big ol heavy cig!

Had a great day though. 70 degrees, nice day in December!
Attached Thumbnails Took the Cig out in some BIG water yesterday!!-boating-12-04-07-1-.jpg   Took the Cig out in some BIG water yesterday!!-boating-12-04-07-3-.jpg   Took the Cig out in some BIG water yesterday!!-boating-12-04-07-2-.jpg  

Old 12-05-2007, 01:25 PM
Registered

Lunch in the harbor was nice too...Just not as exciting!
Attached Thumbnails Took the Cig out in some BIG water yesterday!!-boating-12-04-07-7-.jpg   Took the Cig out in some BIG water yesterday!!-8-07-13-.jpg   Took the Cig out in some BIG water yesterday!!-8-07-14-.jpg  

Old 12-05-2007, 01:46 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks like fun!!! I was in water like that coming back from Catalina a couple years ago on the 4th of July, only I was in a light Spectre with outboards. It was fun for the first few miles and then got very old. We were doubling them out when we could, but were all soaking wet and beat up by the time it was done. Looked over at Rob in his 38' Donzi and they were sipping cocktails and bone dry.

Needless to say, the for sale sign went on the Spectre shortly after that. Next stop, Top Gun.
Old 12-05-2007, 01:56 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Those breakers look like fun. We get those up on Erie where the rivers dump into the lake. When the waves are coming over the breakwalls and the river's current is mashing into the incoming waves and with the wind blowing the opposie direction... There have been times when I've wondered why I was doing it.

I'm going to hide those pics from my wife or I'll be house-hunting over Christmas. I took her out there 2 years ago and that's all I hear about. Once both kids are out of school, I'm going to be out of excuses. A lottery win might grease the skids a bit.
Old 12-05-2007, 02:40 PM
bob
Charter Member #40
Charter Member

Received 104 Likes on 51 Posts

Where the big water gets ya is when the swells are spread way apart and the wind whips the uppers. You need a real boat to go through it cause your dropping in and there is a definite tendency to stuff unless your hull can help ya out and keep the nose up.
Old 12-05-2007, 02:45 PM
Registered

Received 690 Likes on 276 Posts

Ive been out off san diego in the same conditions, seemed like house size waves, and that was on a pwc...got some MAJOR air!
Old 12-05-2007, 03:10 PM
Registered

Here's some pics from the shore.....Once we were outside in the deeper water and it was just the steep swells (not breaking like in the harbor mouth) we were fine.
Attached Thumbnails Took the Cig out in some BIG water yesterday!!-img_0149.jpg   Took the Cig out in some BIG water yesterday!!-img_0151.jpg   Took the Cig out in some BIG water yesterday!!-img_0160.jpg  

Old 12-05-2007, 03:14 PM
Registered

More from the harbor entrance...
Attached Thumbnails Took the Cig out in some BIG water yesterday!!-img_0153.jpg   Took the Cig out in some BIG water yesterday!!-img_0154.jpg   Took the Cig out in some BIG water yesterday!!-img_0155.jpg  

Old 12-05-2007, 03:27 PM
Driver-441
Racer

Received 1,074 Likes on 283 Posts

Sounds like fun
Old 12-05-2007, 05:08 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah BABY!!

Quick Reply: Took the Cig out in some BIG water yesterday!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.