Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Cigarette
Mistress Transom Rot >

Mistress Transom Rot

Notices

Mistress Transom Rot

Old 01-20-2008, 04:08 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you can't do one piece, you're probably going to have to do multiple layers with a staggered overlap. Looking at your photo you stopped inboard of the outside stringers. Keep going. Yoy'll need that structure bearing on the stringer. You'll probably have to cut the stringer ends at 45's and section them in to get the sheets in there. Stopping inboard is inviting a structural failure on a high-performance boat. It's bad enough doing it once. Twice would truly suck- especially if you have to fix serious structural damage the second time.
Old 01-21-2008, 06:29 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ship Shape TV once did an episode on transom replacement. After chiseling out the transom for two days straight, he used wooden door skin as a templet to cut several three sheets of marine plywood, epoxied and screwed them together and finally completed the reglass on the inside of the transom.

May be worth ordering the video to get some ideas. Good luck and keep the pictures coming. I know your pain.

http://www.bigmouthboatsupply.com/bm1207.html
Old 01-22-2008, 05:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

2 days straight sounds right! Hope to spend this weekend getting rest of wood out.Think I will order video for some help!!!Will keep pics posted of progress!!Hope to have her running by June!
Old 01-30-2008, 11:09 AM

Hey guys,almost have all the old out.Looks like I will have to go back with a two piece configuration and stagger layers,thinking three layers or will two be enough? Also would you make the cuts horizontal or vertical.If I go horizontal I will not have to cut any stringers.
Thanks!!
Old 01-30-2008, 06:04 PM

transom 8 hrs later!!

Have removed all rot and started grinding.My hands are killing meee!There is a 1 inch lip at the bottom as you will see in first pic,would you bevel this down for a smooth transition off new wood to bottom of boat?I am thinking about staggering 3 layers of plywood 1/2,5/8 and 1/2 with one horizontal cut on each layer so as not to cut any stringers.
What do you guys think?
Attached Thumbnails Mistress Transom Rot-transom-replacement-012.jpg   Mistress Transom Rot-transom-replacement-006.jpg   Mistress Transom Rot-transom-replacement-009.jpg  

Old 01-31-2008, 12:38 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 375 Likes on 252 Posts

looking good! keep posting pictures!
Old 02-04-2008, 05:11 PM

Cool

OK guys,more progress on the Mistress.After getting all the rotted wood out.I decided to drill a pilot hole in the stringer before cutting them to 45.Cigarette has half inch of glass over stringer and coud not bring myself to cut.(see pic).So I cut three iches off back of cap,took about 30 minutes.Now I can go back with two solid pieces of 3/4 and will not have to piece.What do you guys think?
Attached Thumbnails Mistress Transom Rot-transom-replacement-021.jpg   Mistress Transom Rot-transom-replacement-016.jpg   Mistress Transom Rot-transom-replacement-024.jpg  

Old 02-04-2008, 05:33 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 375 Likes on 252 Posts

about the rot in the hole? 2 plywood is definatly what is needed if I recall right!
Old 02-04-2008, 07:17 PM

Thats not rot in the stringer.They are dry.Someone had suggested cutting stringers out so I could replace from the inside,I drilled a pilot hole just to see how thich the glass was.Any help on this project would be great.First transom for for me.
Thanks
Old 02-04-2008, 07:46 PM
Registered

Classicmako.com has some of the most intense threads on transom rebuilds that I've read yet. This thread chronicals a rebuild of a 261: http://www.classicmako.com/forum/top...?TOPIC_ID=9592
20 pages, and lots of great pictures. Take the time to read as many of the project threads as you can, they will give you the information you need and the confidence to do it right. HTH, David

Quick Reply: Mistress Transom Rot

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.