02 38 Top Gun TS Questions? >

02 38 Top Gun TS Questions?

Notices

02 38 Top Gun TS Questions?

Old 07-06-2008, 09:57 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 02 38 Top Gun TS Questions?

Buddy of mine just bought It out of Miami FL and is now on LOTO. He has a 98 36Outlaw SST(for sale) and a 42Sunseeker. The Cig has 500HP's with XR's with 5blade props(pitch didn't look). With tab's @0 and drives in he complaines about how long it takes to get on plane. He's comparing it to the SST he says it pop's right up. The Cig is a faster hull right?I told him I would ask you guys. Also what is the sniffer toggle on the dash? And how do you open the hatch if the batteries go dead? He let me drive it today WOW is all I can say. 4000rpm 63mph on the Garman I was giving respect it wasn't my boat but I sure wanted to push em to the pins.

Dan
Old 07-07-2008, 05:18 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

as for gettin on plane its a stepped hull... sniffer is for the fuel vapor sniffer in the engine compartment... if batteries r dead u ethr use shore power or jump the pump that is under the back seat...

as for comparing a t/s top gun o a baja sst....
Old 07-07-2008, 10:11 AM
Registered

On the Sunseeker there's a access panele if the ram quits you can reach in and pull the pin and raise the hatch. I asked the question wrong before.
Old 07-07-2008, 02:37 PM
Registered

Received 2,971 Likes on 982 Posts

Originally Posted by dreamer
as for comparing a t/s top gun o a baja sst....
Dreamer, don't get offended because he's comparing a Baja to a Cigarette. Obviously the guy knows boats, he has a few. There's no doubt a twin step (the cig) gets on plane different than a straight hull (the baja).

My advise to the guy is to drop a little tab if its not getting on plane quick enough for him. Could also be a prop issue. Maybe the previous owner had the boat set up for top end speed not plane time. Might want to check around what others are running for props on same set up boat.

The 36 Outlaw is a sweet boat but once the Cigs on plane and in some rough water, there'll be no comparison between the two. The T/S Gun is a bad mo-fo that will out perform and out handle his Outlaw. Especially in the rough water of LOTO on a big weekend

Last edited by thisistank; 07-07-2008 at 02:41 PM.
Old 07-08-2008, 09:53 PM
Registered

I have another question on the T.G. When we come off plane we get a buzzer that stays on for a min or two then go's shuts off on it's own. ????
Old 07-08-2008, 10:05 PM
21 and 42 footers
Platinum Member

Received 119 Likes on 61 Posts

I have 2 sets of props...one set (30's) that gets me on plane well and lets the RPM's get up to about 5,500 doing low 80's.....the second set (32's) are longer to get on plane and actually will only allow me to get about 5,100 RPM's and not quite 80 mph. But these have a 4-5 mph faster cruise speed in the 3,000-4,000 range. I use the larger 32's when I know I'm going on a long trip and will be mainly at cruise for the better fuel efficency and mid-range speeds.....poker runs, put on the smaller props so I can hammer the sticks and achieve my best WOT numbers.

Sounds like your buddies boat has props that are too big.....63 at 4,000 would suggest bigger props IMO also.
Old 07-09-2008, 07:33 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by nova26
Buddy of mine just bought It out of Miami FL and is now on LOTO. He has a 98 36Outlaw SST(for sale) and a 42Sunseeker. The Cig has 500HP's with XR's with 5blade props(pitch didn't look). With tab's @0 and drives in he complaines about how long it takes to get on plane. He's comparing it to the SST he says it pop's right up. The Cig is a faster hull right?I told him I would ask you guys. Also what is the sniffer toggle on the dash? And how do you open the hatch if the batteries go dead? He let me drive it today WOW is all I can say. 4000rpm 63mph on the Garman I was giving respect it wasn't my boat but I sure wanted to push em to the pins.

Dan

if he is going to be at LOTO this weekend i can take him for a ride in mine (03) and see if there is a big difference in planning, I personaly think he is just used to the smaller 33 (less weight) getting on plane faster. I really ease mine on plan and try not to hammer the gas out of the hole, no need to break anything getting on plane. 314-420-2619

Randy Wild
Old 07-10-2008, 05:30 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Wild
if he is going to be at LOTO this weekend i can take him for a ride in mine (03) and see if there is a big difference in planning, I personaly think he is just used to the smaller 33 (less weight) getting on plane faster. I really ease mine on plan and try not to hammer the gas out of the hole, no need to break anything getting on plane. 314-420-2619

Randy Wild
I'll give him your #. Thanks
Old 07-10-2008, 06:51 PM
LZH
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have found on mine that RIGHT out of the hole tabs hurt more than they help. I stick it to 3000 rpms (MAX) right away and as soon as the props start to wash out I give it a little tab until the props start to bite again then slowely raise the tabs. It's really trial and error, testing props, sea and wind conditions and weight. When I have 1200 lbs of fuel onboard it takes me about 20 seconds to get on plane. When I am low on fuel, it takes about 10 seconds.
Remember, Cigs are heavy boats and you really have to feather the throttle and listen/feel what the props are doing when coming out of the hole. Pinning the throttles from a dig will blow a drive in no time.
Just as a data point, I am running Hydromotive P5X, labbed 29's. My standard Bravo 4 blade 30's get me out of the hole a bit quicker and cruise a bit better, but they suck as far as bite getting on and off the throttle quickly.

Dreamer is correct regarding engine hatch operation when batteries are dead. However, if they are REALLY dead and worn out, shore power will not work and you have to manually activate the pump under the rear seat on the port side.

Last edited by LZH; 07-10-2008 at 06:53 PM.
Old 07-10-2008, 06:56 PM
LZH
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by nova26
I have another question on the T.G. When we come off plane we get a buzzer that stays on for a min or two then go's shuts off on it's own. ????
Check the drive fluid resivoirs mounted on the transom behind the motors. When they get low they will sound the alarm. Mine did the same thing once. No alarm when running on plane but as soon as I got off plane and under idle they alarms would sound.

Quick Reply: 02 38 Top Gun TS Questions?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.