Notices

Surveys?

Old 12-17-2008, 06:32 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Surveys?

Hi,

New to this forum but have been lurking for 2 years learning from the great posts. I am in the tire kicking phase but since I'm in the middle of Mississippi, it's hard to get out and see boats so this spring I'll be out traveling. Based on what I've seen/read/can afford, looking for a Bullet, older Cafe, or later flatdeck.

Poking around on the web, looks like a survey on an '80's 35' cig would be pushing $1,000. Reasonable? Are these surveys more technical or more of an appraisal? If they're going to charge $1K to say the oil is dirty and the compression is down on cylinder 5, I can do that myself. I'd be most interested in their assessment of prior hull damage, rot, etc. Thoughts?

Thanks, Randy
Old 12-17-2008, 06:35 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

buy seans cafe
Old 12-17-2008, 07:00 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 771 Likes on 352 Posts

Any survey that is worth the paper it's written on will include moisture readings, and attestation as to the condition of the hull. Like you say, the mechanical stuff (compression/leakdown) can be done on your own.

If you get serious about a boat the survey is really just an entry fee you are going to have to pay - most insurance carriers and lending institutions are going to require one anyways so when you are zeroed in on a boat and think you will be able to make the price work make the sale contingent on satisfactory survey and sea trial.

As to price - I'll let others chime in but you are most likely going to get what you pay for.

P.S. - go with the CAFE - GREAT BOAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WINTER BLOWS....
Old 12-17-2008, 07:52 PM
Steve_H

You should be able to get a value survey for less then $400 that will cover moisture test.

Old 12-17-2008, 07:59 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

You can't go wrong with a Cigarette. And I think you can probably get a decent survey done with a local surveyor for about $500.
Old 12-17-2008, 08:03 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

15-18 per foot i think
Old 12-17-2008, 09:52 PM
Registered

Thanks for the info! Cafe Racer of Bullet makes the most sense, but I'm a sucker for the classic flatdeck lines. Gotta keep an open mind and look for the right boat. Nice to "meet" y'all. Randy
Old 12-19-2008, 06:51 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Welcome!!
Old 12-19-2008, 07:01 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

I know where a sweet looking, mid 80's Cig Mistress is that's priced right. I don't think he plans to put it on the market until spring, but I'm sure he'll sell.
Old 12-19-2008, 07:59 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 771 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by bustedbrick
Thanks for the info! Cafe Racer of Bullet makes the most sense, but I'm a sucker for the classic flatdeck lines. Gotta keep an open mind and look for the right boat. Nice to "meet" y'all. Randy
Everyone loves the classic lines but for some reason I just feel like the Bullet's or Cafe's are easier to get rid of when the time comes.....

The Cafe's and Bullet's are really "liveable" too - which is important to me because we stay on the boat probably 15 nights a summer. With a full head, Cooler, Sink, I could stay on that thing for a week and be completely comfortable.

Hollow - you going to have that boat back together by NEXT summer? I'm in for Jammin' - hope to see you there....

Last edited by seafordguy; 12-19-2008 at 08:01 AM.

Quick Reply: Surveys?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.