Help Please!

Notices

Help Please!

Old 03-02-2009, 05:58 AM
British member!
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help Please!

I am looking at a Cigarette in the UK with twin diesels (3208 Cats), and what I think are number 3 Mercruiser drives in a 41' boat - the serial number is CRT 410050480 - am I right in thinking that this is a 1980 41'?

Does anyone know what HP these engines give and what the expected performance might be?

The best answers I have so far is between 375 and 400hp and around 50mph but be careful of the number 3's with the torque from the motors - Anyone know better than that?

Any other information would be gratefully received as to how many were made, were they good offshore boats (I am planning to do a lot of offshore miles in the boat if I buy it), and is there something better out there I should be looking at? Diesels in the UK are the only option with gas prices the way they are!

Thanks!

If it's too loud you're too old!

BananaShark Racing

British Champions 2005!
Old 03-02-2009, 09:44 AM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

The motors are around 350HP. You should be able to get a 50MPH max speed and definately watch out for the #3 drives. The diesels torque will eat them up and parts are getting very scarce here in the states. Look for one with arneson drives and you will pick up a few MPH and they will live for ever.
Old 03-02-2009, 10:05 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 46 Likes on 31 Posts
Default 41 Cigarette

Originally Posted by CIG3
The motors are around 350HP. You should be able to get a 50MPH max speed and definately watch out for the #3 drives. The diesels torque will eat them up and parts are getting very scarce here in the states. Look for one with arneson drives and you will pick up a few MPH and they will live for ever.
I agree with Cig 3, the SSM3's were always considered the weak link in that boat. I do have to say that I think they are really cool. Here are some more details: They offered 2 versions of the 41, the pleasure version and the 41 Attack, which I believe they hoped would have some military uses, but I don't know if they ever made any Attacks. I have the original brochures and spec / pricing sheets for both models. If you send me your e-mail, I will send you ADOBE copies.

If you decide to buy it, you should factor in the cost of converting it to Arnesons.

Barry

Driver - High's Fuel Your Journey Cigarette Racing Team #598
Old 03-02-2009, 02:04 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 43 Huntress

Remember the Huntress! A buddy of mine had one with twin 3208 Cats converted from 3S to inboards, I took it to OC the summer of 96',Cigarette only made 2 in 84'.The boat is still around and was for sale recently repainted blue with a new tower.Agreed about the Torque problem with the 3s,I looked at one in Fla with destroyed drives,needed too much work.
Old 03-02-2009, 02:06 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 46 Likes on 31 Posts
Default Dave

Originally Posted by tom rockstroh
Remember the Huntress! A buddy of mine had one with twin 3208 Cats converted from 3S to inboards, I took it to OC the summer of 96',Cigarette only made 2 in 84'.The boat is still around and was for sale recently repainted blue with a new tower.Agreed about the Torque problem with the 3s,I looked at one in Fla with destroyed drives,needed too much work.
Tom - Your buddy Dave had the Huntress didn't he?

Barry

Driver - High's Fuel Your Journey Cigarette Racing Team #598