Engine hatch mirror removal >

Engine hatch mirror removal

Notices

Engine hatch mirror removal

Old 03-16-2009, 07:09 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine hatch mirror removal

Any tips on removing the mirror on an engine hatch? Thought about using wooden door shims (wedges) so I don't gouge the gelcoat.....not trying to re-use the mirror but don't want to f'up the hatch.

Thanks
Old 03-16-2009, 07:29 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 46 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by ciaoderhead
Any tips on removing the mirror on an engine hatch? Thought about using wooden door shims (wedges) so I don't gouge the gelcoat.....not trying to re-use the mirror but don't want to f'up the hatch.

Thanks
We took one off of our old TG. Wooden shims will work but you might have to make something more stout that door shims. The mirrors are held on with 3M 4200 so it's not a fun job. Good thing you don't want to reuse the mirror, ours came apart in pieces, be sure to wear eye protection. There will be lots of 4200 left on the hatch. Our gel coat was well - cured ( 8 years old) so we used new razor blades and laquer thinner, the gel coat was unhurt.

Barry

Driver - High's Fuel Your Journey Cigarette Racing Team #598
Old 03-16-2009, 10:29 AM
Registered

Forget it !!! Just cover it up with what ever you are thinking of using. If you wanted to paint it buy a piece of White laminate and paint that and stick it to the mirror. It is the 2nd worst job on the boat, is removing the tanks.
Old 03-16-2009, 08:32 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Has anyone removed and replaced the mirror ? Where did you get mrror from? cig? Or was it custom made Thx, greg
Old 03-17-2009, 07:59 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by greg bakker
Has anyone removed and replaced the mirror ? Where did you get mrror from? cig? Or was it custom made Thx, greg
Hows that boat running I still miss it!
Old 03-17-2009, 08:37 AM
Registered

Tanner, your right, major PIA to remove but leaving it is not an option. Was hoping the mirror was just stuck in places but it is fully bonded.

Used DeBond years ago to remove an engine bracket and just ordered some more to try. I'll let you know how it works this go round.....

http://www.marineformula.com/
Old 03-17-2009, 06:26 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by ciaoderhead
Tanner, your right, major PIA to remove but leaving it is not an option. Was hoping the mirror was just stuck in places but it is fully bonded.

Used DeBond years ago to remove an engine bracket and just ordered some more to try. I'll let you know how it works this go round.....

http://www.marineformula.com/
Make sure you have plenty of band aids !!!
Old 03-17-2009, 06:28 PM
Registered

ust a thought... maybe a heat gun !! you dont care about the plastic, so maybe the heat will soften up that adhesive up .
Old 03-17-2009, 09:27 PM
Registered

Hey, BARRON did you buy the boat from derrick key through phil ? The boat is awesome. When i bought the boat it had bad gimbal rings and the drives were not aligned properly with the tie bar. I fixed everything from rings to new floor to interior etc. I have had it 4 years and love it.Do you now have a fountain?
Old 03-18-2009, 07:52 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Lin, I assume you have the hatch removed, and flipped downside up. Perhaps you could cut it into 2" strips with a properly set router, and individually pry each strip up with a strong putty knife. Just an idea--I've never tried it.

Quick Reply: Engine hatch mirror removal

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.