27 Squadron or Imperial? >

27 Squadron or Imperial?

Notices

27 Squadron or Imperial?

Old 05-29-2009, 09:26 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

According to the hull number, that boat is # 11, built in June 1981. I have # 12, built in July of 1981. I've heard/seen of up to # 18 from 1983 as being the newest, and the last one I know of.
Old 06-24-2009, 12:24 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

can these handle rough water or just as good as a pantera 28/ sutphen30 how do they handle over 85 or 100.
Old 06-24-2009, 12:27 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by oreo11zeus
Non compete went into effect mid 80's = Mine was a XEX, in 1987 = Got $17,500 in a trade from National, then they gave it back to me to offset the cost of a blown engine in my Cafe first time out - GREAT BOAT = http://www.ameriserv.net/boat/
yours had a cabin door could you sleep in there, did they chinewalk at high speeds, thanks.
Old 07-12-2009, 05:45 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by AIR TIME
can these handle rough water or just as good as a pantera 28/ sutphen30 how do they handle over 85 or 100.
The hull can handle more than the driver, and way more than most passengers - it's a fully bulk-headed race layup - except back then I 'm not sure they knew when to stop layin glass! Bottom is a full 1/2" of glass thick. The large outer strakes and the fact that it weighs much less than a pantera 28 or sutphen 30, means it's a rougher ride for sure - but you're not gonna hurt it. Mine has zero stress cracks, anywhere, after 28 years, with the last 6 being full on abuse...by me........

No experience with the hull above 80mph.......but now that I have a Konrad on it, that may change after this winter......
Attached Thumbnails 27 Squadron or Imperial?-bullet-proof.jpg  

Last edited by Hang Time 27; 07-12-2009 at 05:54 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 07-14-2009, 08:15 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by O.C.Barry
Sorry I have to challenge your 'mid-80's- non - compete'.

Non-Compete in the mid 80's had nothing to do with Squadron XXII – Directly from Cigarette website:

1980 Aronow opens Squadron XXII – only permitted to build12 boats per year.

1981 Halter offers Aronow the opportunity to buy back into Cigarette. Aronow accepts and merges Squadron XXII into Cigarette.

1982 Aronow sells Cigarette for the last time to Jerry Jacoby of Hawk Engines.

Hence the no - compete really didn't mean much as related to Squadron since they stopped building them. When Aronow rolled Squadron back into Cigarette, a number of the later 'Squadrons' were titled as Cigarettes. I still have a photocopy of the title of my 27 Cigarette.

I do agree with you that they are great boats.

Barry
So where does the rumor that Imperial bought the molds and manufactured more in Indiana? Where was Hawk located?
Old 07-14-2009, 03:54 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by oreo11zeus
So where does the rumor that Imperial bought the molds and manufactured more in Indiana? Where was Hawk located?
I don't doubt for a second that Imerial may have ended up with the molds. I've never dug into the details on that. They could have just as well "splashed" the hull - meaning making thier own molds from an existing boat. This was apparently quite common in the 70's and 80's. Of course that only means that the very outside surface of the boat is the same as the the original, whether it be made using the orig molds, or splashing and making thier own. The important factor is how the fiberglass is laid up = what types and # of different weaves as well as type of resin used, how long it sat in mold, whether or not the hull and deck is glassed together, bulkheads, etc. I hear Cigarette's "lay ups" from the period were far different from any other production boats in those days, and were an important part of thier reputation - and based on how mine is built, I believe it. Where are the molds now?? Maybe Dana has them. That would mean they just went farther west after imperial?? I'm convinced Dana is using the same hull for sure, not the deck.....

Now, if someone would just take it and shrink those large strakes back down, and add a step or two, and use the same bulkheading with a modern vacuum bagged layup, and .............
Old 02-18-2018, 06:20 PM
Registered

Default Knowledge of the 1986 27 Imperial?

I purchased a 1986 27 Imperial seems to be the exact same boat as they cigarette Squadron 27 but the helm is on the starboard side. Was wondering if anybody has any more information regarding the 27 Imperials where they were manufactured if the mold did come from cigarette or if they made their own mold from a 27 Squadron? Any information would be helpful.
Old 02-19-2018, 03:11 AM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Did you buy the 27 Imperial in Michigan?
Old 02-22-2018, 01:25 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Greatlaker
That would be my best guess. Looked like a nice boat. When are we going out for drinks...? same town and never crossed paths. WTF.
Old 03-22-2018, 04:05 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Greatlaker
Yes but the boat was Manufactured in South Florida according to the hull ID

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.