Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Cigarette
X dimenision for 28SS Bravo Drives >

X dimenision for 28SS Bravo Drives

Notices

X dimenision for 28SS Bravo Drives

Old 04-08-2002, 10:01 PM
CigProject

Default Need X dimenision for 28SS Bravo Drives

Anyone with knowledge of the best X dimension to use on a restoration of the 1974 28SS using Bravo 1 drives. The power is 2 Chevy 383 strokers making about 410 hp each. Help is really needed in this area and the transom is blank . I bought this boat as a hull only and will be doing all the work myself. Excuse my dry, to the point technical approach as it is what makes me successful in my job.

John
Proud Cigarette Owner

Last edited by CigProject; 04-09-2002 at 11:53 PM.

Old 04-11-2002, 10:27 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

John,

Lets see some pics of your project!

I wish I had taken pics of mine, but was too busy putting it together to snap a couple of photos...

Anyway, my 28SS has Bravos and we went 1.75 inches above the standard x-dimension and I apologize for not knowing what that measurement is. The boat has 300hp 350ci motors and planes fine. There are no tabs on the boat and it doesn't need them in this configuration. you can see pics at http://www.thunderboatalley.com/olsen_2.htm

I would not go much higher than this because you'll have problems routing the exhaust cleanly. You'll have to decide whether to go above or below th gunwale. In my opinion, custom exhaust and external steering will be a necessity here to make it come out perfect.

if you have any other questions, feel free to post and hopefully I can help.

Last edited by Sean; 04-11-2002 at 10:32 AM.
Old 04-13-2002, 10:53 PM
CigProject

Sean,
Pictures will follow when I learn to reduce the byte size of the pictures. The Cigarette site you are referencing is a great place to see so many generations of the famous boats that have made history in offshore racing and pleasure. The race season is starting and it looks promising. Thank you for the information and I as many others look foward to sharing restoration information about these boats.
John

Old 04-18-2002, 04:59 PM
Goumada P5-38
Gold Member

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

I have a '73 Magnum I repowered 2 years ago . I think the bottom of the hull is pretty close to yours .
I put my "x" @ 16 " with my Bravo 1 's and (2) HP500 motors .
The 16 inch "x" allowed me to run 3 blade props -
I stayed a bit conservative as I wanted good bow lift . My (4) gas tanks were all upfront .
The 27 3 blades gave good bow lift and achieved a top speed of 84mph on GPS .

JSM
Old 04-20-2002, 10:18 PM
CigProject

JSM,
I sure thank you for sharing the information about your Magnum. That is great speed and I bet it slices through rollers like butter. That is the great attribute of the old design. You are correct in that they are very close to being the same hull design. The concern is that you installed 2 HP500 big block engines and I will be using 2 small blocks. The weight difference could result in prop cavitation and that is another part of the equation. Stay in touch so we can all be rewarded by this topic.
John

Last edited by CigProject; 04-20-2002 at 10:21 PM.