Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   Cigarette (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/cigarette-32/)
-   -   Considering Sale need help (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/cigarette/224049-considering-sale-need-help.html)

rockstar38 02-06-2010 09:32 AM

Considering Sale need help

Hello all I am considering sale of my 1986 38ft Flat Deck. I really dont have any idea where to start with pricing. I have seen some really beat up ones go for $50k a while back but not sure what this market is like now a days.

New 454 motors, trs outdrives, gelcoat, gauges, throttles, and battery charger in 2005. Brand new interior last summer and graphics the year before. Boat has about 400 hours on the hull and probably 60 since the rebuild. It also has a heavy duty triple axel trailer. Boat has always been in fresh water.

I cant seem to upload any pics and really dont have much online to post a link to but here is what she looks like.

http://photos-a.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-...23273_3537.jpg
http://photos-g.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-...23316_3766.jpg
Here is a pic before the graphics
http://photos-h.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-...23367_3529.jpg

MiniHawk 02-06-2010 09:52 AM

Stick it up in the OSO Classifieds section.

dreamer 02-06-2010 10:20 AM

id say start at 69k ask

MiniHawk 02-06-2010 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by rockstar38 (Post 3040139)
Hello all I am considering sale of my 1986 38ft Flat Deck. I really dont have any idea where to start with pricing. I have seen some really beat up ones go for $50k a while back but not sure what this market is like now a days.

New 454 motors, trs outdrives, gelcoat, gauges, throttles, and battery charger in 2005. Brand new interior last summer and graphics the year before. Boat has about 400 hours on the hull and probably 60 since the rebuild. It also has a heavy duty triple axel trailer. Boat has always been in fresh water.

I cant seem to upload any pics and really dont have much online to post a link to but here is what she looks like.

http://photos-a.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-...23273_3537.jpg
http://photos-g.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-...23316_3766.jpg
Here is a pic before the graphics
http://photos-h.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-...23367_3529.jpg

Lets see some more pictures, too.

wjb21ndtown 02-06-2010 06:55 PM

You have a nice boat, but be prepared for some sticker shock. NADA has your boat value at around $25k (http://www.nadaguides.com/default.as...C&gc=MR&gtc=MR). I know that yours is updated, but the banks don't really care. They'll likely only lend $25k or less to someone that wants to buy it.

I know in my area there has been someone trying to sell a 1991 35' with twin supercharged 625Hp motors for $69 for the last two years, and hasn't gotten anywhere. What you should list it for largely depends on how fast you want to sell it, and whether you're serious about getting rid of it.

getrdunn 02-06-2010 09:45 PM

Very nice looking boat. I understand the NADA thing however wouldn't concern yourself with it a whole lot. I am a total believer that if you maintain and care for a boat that it helps a great deal when selling it. Especially a boat such as a Cig. Someone will more than likely appreciate what you have and be willing to pay much more than NADA. Your engines are also likely to expedite the sale also. Big Power most often means big beating also. Not always but... When you get serious about selling it be sure and take several pics. I just sold a 03 Artic Cat F7 that NADA had at under 2k and I put it on ebay and got close to 4k. I guess that's why the call it NADA "guide"

Good luck and once again vey nice looking. I have always loved those boats.

John

wjb21ndtown 02-06-2010 11:20 PM

Originally Posted by getrdunn (Post 3040647)
Very nice looking boat. I understand the NADA thing however wouldn't concern yourself with it a whole lot. I am a total believer that if you maintain and care for a boat that it helps a great deal when selling it. Especially a boat such as a Cig. Someone will more than likely appreciate what you have and be willing to pay much more than NADA. Your engines are also likely to expedite the sale also. Big Power most often means big beating also. Not always but... When you get serious about selling it be sure and take several pics. I just sold a 03 Artic Cat F7 that NADA had at under 2k and I put it on ebay and got close to 4k. I guess that's why the call it NADA "guide"

Good luck and once again vey nice looking. I have always loved those boats.

John

That's true GRD, but my point was more to what the banks are doing, than what someone would be willing to give/borrow for the boat. To sell your snowmobile you only needed to find someone that had $4K in the bank. It's a lot tougher to find someone with $60K in the bank.

tknnd 02-07-2010 11:21 AM

Guess I'll be the first to make an offer at the NADA pricing, when should I pick it up :D

PURPLE HORNET 02-07-2010 11:39 AM

Nice boat, it has very strong selling points the first one I seen was FRESH WATER that alone is worth 10 grand more on a boat your size in my book.

400 hours on a boat that year is also very low hours thats another good selling point.

BDiggity 02-07-2010 12:11 PM

the real question is.... what is next Rocky? :coolcowboy:

getrdunn 02-07-2010 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by wjb21ndtown (Post 3040699)
That's true GRD, but my point was more to what the banks are doing, than what someone would be willing to give/borrow for the boat. To sell your snowmobile you only needed to find someone that had $4K in the bank. It's a lot tougher to find someone with $60K in the bank.

Banks are tightening up on a lot of things these days. You might be right with what they may be willing to lend however there are still a lot of cash buyers out there. Personally I hate dealing with banks. Perhaps an appraisel might help. I have four muscle cars valued at easily over 130k. I would never think to sell either one of them to someone trying to get a loan on a blue book value that probably doesn't even exits.

68 Dodge Charger
69 Mach 1
73 Cuda
73 Z-28

I understand where your coming from also and perhaps just letting the seller know that there may be some obsticals however the boat is simply worth what an individual is willing to pay for it. I also hear you with stating basically is it for sale or do you want to sell it. He may just decide to keep it after looking into it also. Time will tell. If he does so decide to sell it for near book value I sincerely hope he puts me SECOND in line.

Doug 02-07-2010 09:31 PM

Beautiful boat. Just something about that style graphics I have always loved. You don't see very many. Allot of people stay away from it because they say it dates the boat but so what it's a classic anyway. When you find a buyer he will have to have a current survey done for insurance. Forget the NADA and go have one done yourself. That way if the numbers are right it will help you sell it and at the same time help the buyer with his bank and insurance company to make the deal go allot smoother. Just make sure it is a very good person that does it and very familiar with Cigarettes. Trust me been there done that with my Mistress.

I'd keep it.

rockstar38 02-08-2010 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by getrdunn (Post 3040966)
Banks are tightening up on a lot of things these days. You might be right with what they may be willing to lend however there are still a lot of cash buyers out there. Personally I hate dealing with banks. Perhaps an appraisel might help. I have four muscle cars valued at easily over 130k. I would never think to sell either one of them to someone trying to get a loan on a blue book value that probably doesn't even exits.

68 Dodge Charger
69 Mach 1
73 Cuda
73 Z-28

I understand where your coming from also and perhaps just letting the seller know that there may be some obsticals however the boat is simply worth what an individual is willing to pay for it. I also hear you with stating basically is it for sale or do you want to sell it. He may just decide to keep it after looking into it also. Time will tell. If he does so decide to sell it for near book value I sincerely hope he puts me SECOND in line.

You are correct it is for sale but there is no way I would sell it for what NADA says it worth. I was thinking it was worth somewhere in the $55k-$70k range but due to the market closer to $55k . I really dont need to sell it nor want to at all but there is a boat out there that I have always wanted and it has been put on the market and the wife says I have to sell it before I look at the new one. Since she fell for it last time when I bought the cigarette and I told her I would sell the Baja quick which I still have :drink:

Hollowpoint 02-09-2010 12:53 PM

First, sweet looking Cig. I've always liked the flat decks. And I also like the classic paint job. I've been trying to talk a friend of mine into a nice 35' Mistress.

Now the bad news...the market SUCKS! If you want a relatively quick sale, I would personally try to keep it under the 50K mark. Maybe $49,500? I know opinions are like....the cliche, but that's my 2 cents. I'll be looking for it in the classifieds. Good luck with whatever you do.

Rick G 02-09-2010 04:24 PM

Rockstar I hate to disappoint you but there are currenting at least half a dozen flat decks like yours in the $ 21 to $ 33k range. Half of those are equiped with no 3 drives . If you are looking to get $50 K for your boat i would think it will be on the market for quite some time . TRS flat decks can be had for $ 16 to $ 25 K you either need you adjust your sights or keep your boat. Remember every year you wait your boat is just another year older. I don't mean to offend but that is just the current market. My sense is that market will be like this for at least another year if not longer.

Rick G.

PURPLE HORNET 02-09-2010 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by Rick G (Post 3042776)
Rockstar I hate to disappoint you but there are currenting at least half a dozen flat decks like yours in the $ 21 to $ 33k range. Half of those are equiped with no 3 drives . If you are looking to get $50 K for your boat i would think it will be on the market for quite some time . TRS flat decks can be had for $ 16 to $ 25 K you either need you adjust your sights or keep your boat. Remember every year you wait your boat is just another year older. I don't mean to offend but that is just the current market. My sense is that market will be like this for at least another year if not longer.

Rick G.

I think the cheese slid off your cracker buy saying his boat is worth 16-25. Especially when you have your wellcraft priced at 65 reduced from 80.

His boat has New
454's
Trs drives
Gel-coat and Graphics
Interior
gauges, throttles
400 fresh water hours on the hull
60 hours since rebuild

The power is not big but that also means the crap was not run out of it.

getrdunn 02-09-2010 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by Rick G (Post 3042776)

Rick G.

:bong:

getrdunn 02-09-2010 08:54 PM

I just did a search on google. There are some pretty good deals out there. Where were these deals back when I was buying boats every couple of years. Regardless I believe the overall condition of the boat will dictate the selling price.

PURPLE HORNET 02-09-2010 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by getrdunn (Post 3042997)
I just did a search on google. There are some pretty good deals out there. Where were these deals back when I was buying boats every couple of years. Regardless I believe the overall condition of the boat will dictate the selling price.

I agree if its as clean as the pics show and the outstanding shape it should be in with 400 hours of freah water use. The boat should stand tall and sell itself.

rockstar38 02-10-2010 08:08 AM

I appreciate all of the nice words and advice!!! I love the boat and really don’t want to get rid of it and it looks like the boat I have my eyes set on may be gone. There is a second boat that I have been looking at and the dealer offered me $50,500 for trade which I thought was a pretty good deal for a trade offer. Now I just need to get them down a bit on theirs and we may be signing papers

4195 02-10-2010 08:11 AM

I know the used boat market sucks as does everyone. But with that said most older boats are worn out and dated, this is why they are undesirable to most. Some think I will find one of these boats buy it cheap and then redo it and have a great boat, unfortunately they always under estimate what it will cost to do it right. I am almost finished with my 93 Cafe and I have more then double the value in it, so my advice would be for someone to buy a boat that is all redone(as long as it was done right) for 50 cents on the dollar. This boat appears to be that boat. The target market for this boat is probably not another Cig owner but instead someone who is looking to spend $50k+ on a Baja or Formula or another boat of that caliber. They will twice the boat for the same money. I would not sell that boat for a penny less them $50k and would try to hold out for more. Take a look around even though the market sucks what does $50k buy you? Most often not much!

Rick G 02-10-2010 11:04 AM

Purple Hornet, you may have missed my point. I am not telling Rockstar what his boat is worth . I am pointing out what can be had right now and at what price. Your point about my boat only supports my point . It was originally listed at $ 90k and todate at $ 65k I have not had one bite. I think my boat is worth more but it appears I am the only one that thinks so.
Everybody's boat is mint . That fact is ,there other boats just like your friends that are selling for much less . That is the current market. Point was just that if you need to sell your boat in this market you will not get what it is worth but what the market will bear. It is a great time to buy a boat and as I am learning a crappy time to sell a boat. Don't take my word for it check the classifieds here , Serious offshore, Boattrader, Boats.com etc. etc. etc.

Rick G.

cigrocket 02-10-2010 12:39 PM

I sold my 1985 Mistress last March when the market might have even been a little better. It had Konrad Drives, 540's that made 675HP on 87 octane. Huber Built Transmissions, Stainless Marine Exuast, all new gauges, new interior. Didn't have a chip in the hull. 3 full sunbrella covers, All braided lines, all billet pulleys, ect. Mirroed engine compartment, new trim pumps, GPS. Drives had 15 hours, motors had 125. Hull had 300. Triple axle trailer with new wheels.

I sold the boat for 46.5K. It took me 3 months to sell.

The boat would run 75+ all day. Touch 80 light, could have been higher with wroked props.

Tough sell on older flatdecks. Good luck with your sale, its a nice looking machine.

Interceptor 02-10-2010 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by cigrocket (Post 3043432)
I sold my 1985 Mistress last March when the market might have even been a little better. It had Konrad Drives, 540's that made 675HP on 87 octane. Huber Built Transmissions, Stainless Marine Exuast, all new gauges, new interior. Didn't have a chip in the hull. 3 full sunbrella covers, All braided lines, all billet pulleys, ect. Mirroed engine compartment, new trim pumps, GPS. Drives had 15 hours, motors had 125. Hull had 300. Triple axle trailer with new wheels.

I sold the boat for 46.5K. It took me 3 months to sell.

The boat would run 75+ all day. Touch 80 light, could have been higher with wroked props.

Tough sell on older flatdecks. Good luck with your sale, its a nice looking machine.

Your flatdeck was a gem. Any word from the new owner regarding their experiences with it ?
ed

getrdunn 02-10-2010 06:16 PM

I love the old flat decks. I have never owned one however I think they look sharp. I saw one last summer in Frankfort MI at the marina. The boat looked fully restored and beautiful. Seems like it was white with a little tan or beigh. i was thinking the owner said he was from down state somewhere or otherwise IL but can't remember for sure.

cigrocket 02-10-2010 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by Interceptor (Post 3043487)
Your flatdeck was a gem. Any word from the new owner regarding their experiences with it ?
ed

The boat went to Oklahmoma City, stores the boat in a cave. He had a full summer of trouble free boating on LOTO.

The reliability was what he was looking for. That's why my boat was a steal. Turn the keys and go....... Thanks for the compliments.

I am heading to MIAMI tomorrow. Checking out the Hardware!

tom call 03-02-2010 07:09 PM

that is a nice 38

tom call 03-02-2010 07:22 PM

what do u guys think about that flat deck that is in the oso classifieds from carolina marine seems to be needing some up dating

Rick G 03-03-2010 04:59 PM

Tom I spoke to Carolina Marine on that boat. He told me he took it in on trade and it is his boat. He said he used last summer without issue and I got the distinct feeling you could buy that boat for some where between 16 and 19K . I just aquired a flat deck myself a 1985 hull only and am going to take the power out my Scarab and run it in the Cig. I think the Carolina boat needs some work and updating but if you get it for 16 to 17k it is well worth the trouble.

Rick G.