Adding Pop Up Cleats >

Adding Pop Up Cleats

Notices

Adding Pop Up Cleats

Old 04-02-2010, 11:11 PM
Registered

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Adding Pop Up Cleats

While i have the interior apart, thinking about replacing the 6" cleats that would be along the side where the cabin is.

Anyone do this & have any issue w/ the pop up cleat letting water in? Besides getting caught out in the rain i cant see a way water could enter, but if it does there is no drainage for it.
Old 04-02-2010, 11:44 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BDiggity
While i have the interior apart, thinking about replacing the 6" cleats that would be along the side where the cabin is.

Anyone do this & have any issue w/ the pop up cleat letting water in? Besides getting caught out in the rain i cant see a way water could enter, but if it does there is no drainage for it.
Yup- its an issue. Especially if its a saltwater boat.

When I asked my pet builder to add an additional set of pop ups all the way up front (there are never enough cleats) I was astonished at the cost because I was reminded that they would have to build a catch cup under each one and run a line to the back of the boat.

UD
Old 04-03-2010, 07:09 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 771 Likes on 352 Posts

Brian - in my dreaming that I do I looked at these things and I didn't like the fact that they drain cups would basically force water into the bilge. I was dissapointed that there wasn't a better design.....
Old 04-03-2010, 09:57 AM
Registered

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

I installed them in my formula and at that time the manufacture actually made an extruded plastic catch cup which had a bottum spout I plumbed to the bilge. I kept the boat moored outdoors at the marine by my cottage and never had an issue with water from this source . If your cockpit cover is not water proof you will get more water in the boat from there in a rain storm. More importantly if you don't route the water out of the cabin you will have mold and mildew issues.
Rick G.
Old 04-03-2010, 04:52 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 771 Likes on 352 Posts

Yeah - I just hated the idea of continually having water in the bilge....
Old 04-03-2010, 08:19 PM
Can You Hear Me Now??
Gold Member

Received 45 Likes on 24 Posts

I looked into as well,but I don't think they will fit in on the mod bow section. The way the hull slopes down it is not possible to tighten them. Go with some new ones that will update your look and call it a day.
Old 04-03-2010, 09:19 PM
Registered

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by 4195
I looked into as well,but I don't think they will fit in on the mod bow section. The way the hull slopes down it is not possible to tighten them. Go with some new ones that will update your look and call it a day.
they dont fit. when i got the schematic off the accorn site, both the 6" models require 3" mounting depth. there is only about 1" beneath the cleat & the hull curves back under. no bling for me.

i still want to add a pop up light & cleats at the bow, but thats gonna be next yr.