Tool Kit Recommendation >

Tool Kit Recommendation

Notices

Tool Kit Recommendation

Old 05-23-2010, 04:07 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tool Kit Recommendation

Can anyone recommend a good all around tool kit to keep on the boat?

There are a million different kits out there, and I want to make sure that I have enough of what I need without getting carried away.
Old 05-23-2010, 05:48 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by DareDevil;
DUCTTAPE, SCREW DRIVER AND A PAIR OF PLIERS !!!!

Other then that ..get the right mechanic, not like i did in the past !! LOL
PERFECT! I think I have all of that stuff already. Including a great mechanic. Maybe, I'll just put him in the tool box! LOL!
Old 05-23-2010, 06:32 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1,295 Likes on 449 Posts

I have an older plastic tool box, assorted screwdrivers, long and short plastic wire ties, folding allen wrench set, assorted wire ends and crimping tool (cheap kit), cheap ratchet with 1/4 and 3/8 inch flippable and sockets, one deep one short sae and metric, electric tape (2 in wide), length of red wire, dead blow hammer (Small) pliers, dikes box end and open end wrench kits(cheap). all together weighs less than 10 lbs

for spare parts, i always carry one extra raw water kit, a serpentine belt (each year i change and carry one of the older ones as spare) few quarts oil, 1 quart drive fluid and one bottle atf for steering.

I've never had to use it, but i know the day i leave shore without it I will.
Old 05-23-2010, 07:18 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 84 Likes on 31 Posts

I got a really cool inexpensive tool kit from Home Depot that has just about any tool you need in a blow molded plastic "briefcase like" kit.
I have a separate tool bag with the tapes, ties, hoses, clamps, and various adjustable wrenches and other tools not in the kit as well.

This set is close to the one I got but mine does not have the level, hammer and tape and has more sockets and wrenches.
http://www.homedepot.com/Tools-Hardw...atalogId=10053

I also carry extra belts, fluids, etc.

Last edited by Tom A.; 05-23-2010 at 07:22 PM.
Old 05-23-2010, 08:40 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 767 Likes on 350 Posts

I never leave home without plenty of ICE because if something breaks I will damn sure be having a dozen cold drinks.

Actually - in all seriousness I need to get a better kit - something like what TOM has.
Old 05-23-2010, 08:59 PM
Registered

A towing service and a VHF.

I got a $10 orange tool box from Bass Pro. I made sure all my hose clamps use the same size nutdriver (yes I had to change some). On my engines, everything was 1/2" or 9/16"; chances are whatever might need a different size, i wouldn't be fixing on the water. So a short and deep socket plus a box/open for each. Basic electrical kit: wire tool and connector pairs. A couple screwdrivers.
Old 05-23-2010, 09:23 PM
Registered

I bought a pretty large tool kit in a nice molded plastic case from Walmart for around $75.00. Has pretty much everything in it that you would need in an emergency. I actually used it last month when my crank pulley came loose on the intercoastal waterway. Jeff Wurl
Old 05-23-2010, 09:38 PM
Registered

Received 16 Likes on 6 Posts

Diddo on the kit. I just bought the cheapest one I could find so in case I drop something in the drink - it's no be deal. Keep a decent wrechet on board though - the ones in the cheap kits break very often.
Old 05-24-2010, 09:36 AM
Registered

Thanks guys, I appreciate it. I was certainly going to get carried away with getting a tool kit that was bigger than I needed. Not like I'm a mechanic anyway....Duh...

Thanks again. I'll pick up a small mechanics tool kit, and pick up some clamps, duct tape, and all of the other items you all have mentioned.

I do have a Boat US membership, so that's a one size fits all tool. LOL!
Old 05-31-2010, 10:51 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 270 Likes on 95 Posts

a little trick i came up with to help determine exactly what tools you need on your boat is when ever you work on your, boat weather its in your shop or the dock, use only the tools onboard. In a short time you can add and subtract tools to refine the selection. You'd be surprised how small the kit needs to be to do pretty much anything from general maintenance to pulling motors and drives. I'll have to inventory mine someday but using this method may differ from boat to boat.
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.