TG hull question...come inside >

TG hull question...come inside

Notices

TG hull question...come inside

Old 07-17-2010, 09:52 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TG hull question...come inside

First let me say hello, I'm new to the forums and this is my first post. A lot of great info on here, been reading for days...but am still confused about something and was hoping the experts could chime in and help me out.

I'm looking at Top Guns and budget dictates late 80's early 90's, my question is did Cigarette use the same hull and deck on the TG's from '87 to '00 as I have previously heard?

More specifically the reason I ask is that I have seen two '89's that look different...one looks more like a Flatdeck with a shallower looking V (I'm looking at the tip of the bow down to the running in surface) and the other more like what I am used to a TG looking like with a deeper V...

I have already read this post and it seems to indicate, or at least question pretty much the same thing

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/c...8-top-gun.html

To further confuse matters it has what appears to be a TG dash and not the 2 level Flatdeck dash as I have seen it described.

Go easy on me since I'm still learning and thanks for all the help!!!
Old 07-17-2010, 05:33 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The topgun is not as good as the older ones I had both kinds what are you looking for .The race boats are the better ones go in swapshop look at my ad cigarette hull for sale
Old 07-17-2010, 05:39 PM
Hurley
Gold Member

Pass the popcorn.
Old 07-17-2010, 07:55 PM
Registered

Received 3,020 Likes on 987 Posts

Originally Posted by kidapache
The topgun is not as good as the older ones I had both kinds what are you looking for .The race boats are the better ones go in swapshop look at my ad cigarette hull for sale
HAHAHAHA! That's funny right there....Sell that boat!
Old 07-17-2010, 09:37 PM
Brotherhood #1
Gold Member

Received 111 Likes on 84 Posts

Why not just send him an email every minute till he buys it. If thats not a sale pitch im not sure what is. Id say get more info then just some one who is looking to sell something. Plus its nice to have a cabin. Also that boat is way over price for what your not getting. I mean getting.
-Mike
Old 07-17-2010, 10:18 PM
Registered

Received 3,020 Likes on 987 Posts

Originally Posted by jasonmd2
First let me say hello, I'm new to the forums and this is my first post. A lot of great info on here, been reading for days...but am still confused about something and was hoping the experts could chime in and help me out.

I'm looking at Top Guns and budget dictates late 80's early 90's, my question is did Cigarette use the same hull and deck on the TG's from '87 to '00 as I have previously heard?

More specifically the reason I ask is that I have seen two '89's that look different...one looks more like a Flatdeck with a shallower looking V (I'm looking at the tip of the bow down to the running in surface) and the other more like what I am used to a TG looking like with a deeper V...

I have already read this post and it seems to indicate, or at least question pretty much the same thing

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/c...8-top-gun.html

To further confuse matters it has what appears to be a TG dash and not the 2 level Flatdeck dash as I have seen it described.

Go easy on me since I'm still learning and thanks for all the help!!!
To answer your question...Yes, the flat deck 38 and the Top Gun used the same hull except some of the Top Guns were notched transom. The Interior, cabin, deck, cockpit, dash is all different on the Guns (better in my opinion).

I find that when you're dealing with "transition years" of these Cigs you find a lot of cross over stuff, just like what you're talking about. The 1st Top Gun was 87 I believe but Cig still built a couple flat decks after that so you get Flat deck up to the late 80's. Cig changed the cabin layout on the late 80's/early 90's guns in the early 90's but you still find some early 90's guns with the older cabin just like they went from TRS drives to Bravos in the early 90's but you'll see some later early 90's guns with TRS's still.

It's very easy to tell the difference between a flat deck 38 and a Top Gun. Post a pic of the boat you're looking at and I'm sure we can figure out what it is.

And remember, theres a couple "splashed" Top Guns floating around from the late 80's...There was a blue and white one that was for sale for a long time about 5 years ago. It had a funky cockpit.

Hope that helps a little. There's some great deals out there. KidApache's flat deck race boat is a sweet ride. I'm selling our Gun and Rob (Hurleyr) has a very nice Gun for sale as well.

Good luck on your purchase and keep us informed.

Oh, and don't feel shy to ask questions...That's what this place is for.
Old 07-18-2010, 09:40 AM
Registered

thisistank...thanks for the great answer and being so helpful. I was looking at a boat and the picture of it on the trailer made the V look awfully "shallow" but then when I saw a picture of it in the water it looked more like the traditional TG hull that I was used to. It must have just been the angle the picture was taken at. Anyways the boat sold and so I am still looking. The cabin was the basic TG cabin of the late 80's, no frills, and the dash was definitely TG so I now know it was a TG for sure.

Is your TG listed for sale? What about Rob's?

Thanks again!
Old 07-18-2010, 10:55 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 771 Likes on 352 Posts

Jason - Welcome,

Good decision on a CIG..... I would look at one of the ones with the newer style (90+ in general) cabin. They are probably a little more sought after and could be an easier resale....

Just my opinion - I like the bravo boats but I am easy on drives so they aren't as big a liability for me. The older ones are most likely going to have 3's or TRS drives on them. Some people will tell you you can't find parts for these older drives but it sure seems like there are always people selling parts for them so who knows? I think that the Bravo boats tend to porpoise worse though as it altered the Center of Gravity, but some of the people who know more can confirm/refute this.

All TRUE cigs that you will be looking at will have hull #'s that start with CRT (Not CIG or anything else).

Fire questions away - lot of good people in this section. Also, if you post a boat, you will most likely get a full historic run down of the rig, these things dont linger inconspicuously....
Attached Thumbnails TG hull question...come inside-6742_6.jpg   TG hull question...come inside-13113_6.jpg  
Old 07-18-2010, 12:03 PM
Registered

kidapache - sorry but not looking for a race boat...and personally I like the look and style of the Top Gun, thanks again though.

seafordguy, thanks for the welcome! So far a lot of great people here in deed! Yeah I think I have it narrowed down to an early 90's Top Gun (price driven) and I do like the first cabin pic you posted most of all. From what I am reading I also think that is the most desirable cabin. I've been reading up on the drive situation and I believe I have it down to the TRS drive being most desirable on those years Cig, but yeah a fear of parts availability...hopefully that won't be an issue if that's the route I go. Or I guess one that has been upgraded with the Bravo XR's...but those are few and far between I'm finding out. The Bravo's concern me because of the general rep that these heavy boats chew them up and spit them out...I don't want to be concerned every time I go out whether I will chew up a drive. I intend to make the occasional trip over to Bimini with this thing so dependability is a big concern for me.

Going to keep searching so anyone with any leads feel free to offer them up

Thanks again everyone! And can't wait to get out on the water in a beautiful Top Gun!!!
Old 07-18-2010, 01:08 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jasonmd2
kidapache - sorry but not looking for a race boat...and personally I like the look and style of the Top Gun, thanks again though.

seafordguy, thanks for the welcome! So far a lot of great people here in deed! Yeah I think I have it narrowed down to an early 90's Top Gun (price driven) and I do like the first cabin pic you posted most of all. From what I am reading I also think that is the most desirable cabin. I've been reading up on the drive situation and I believe I have it down to the TRS drive being most desirable on those years Cig, but yeah a fear of parts availability...hopefully that won't be an issue if that's the route I go. Or I guess one that has been upgraded with the Bravo XR's...but those are few and far between I'm finding out. The Bravo's concern me because of the general rep that these heavy boats chew them up and spit them out...I don't want to be concerned every time I go out whether I will chew up a drive. I intend to make the occasional trip over to Bimini with this thing so dependability is a big concern for me.

Going to keep searching so anyone with any leads feel free to offer them up

Thanks again everyone! And can't wait to get out on the water in a beautiful Top Gun!!!
Tanks boat has 3a drives..I think...Short of a #6 boat {Not many of those !}....the 3a & 5 are the strongest.....
Or...One that has been converted to Konrads.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.