Accurate fuel gauges

Notices

Accurate fuel gauges

Old 02-04-2011, 01:29 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 171 Likes on 86 Posts
Default Accurate fuel gauges

Anybody have a problem with fuel guages Not being accurate?
I have a 2000 Mystique; guages stay on Full for a while and once they show 3/4 full, im empty. Im guesing its the sending unit in the tank and not neccesarily the guages. Any ideas?
Old 02-04-2011, 02:21 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not sure if we have the same installation but we have the same problem. I replaced the sender and know the gauge works fine but have decided that when the boat is in the water either a the dock or running the gas flows toward the back of the tank where the sender is located. When I haul or place in my rack storage area it registers a fairly true reading. My guess is when it is about to drop off of full it is time to look for gas.
Old 02-04-2011, 02:28 PM
Registered

I wish they could come up with an accurate fuel gage, in my Top Gun when the lights came on you best be able to see a gas station or you would not make it lol.
Old 02-04-2011, 02:36 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by twin screws
I wish they could come up with an accurate fuel gage, in my Top Gun when the lights came on you best be able to see a gas station or you would not make it lol.
Robert, Make your next boat a Eliminator and you won't have to worry about gas gauges. They work perfectly!
Old 02-04-2011, 02:41 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Get a Flow-Scan set up. You can then monitor gallons used. Fuel gauges have never been accurate for the reasons you all stated.
Old 02-04-2011, 03:32 PM
Brotherhood #1
Gold Member

Received 111 Likes on 84 Posts

Needs a slosh resister like most cars these days have. Do you see the on in your vehicles move and bounce as you turn or brake? Hence the idea. Im not sure how well it would work as a boat sees alot more pounding ans sloshing then a car but its an idea
-Mike
Old 02-04-2011, 04:54 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you have the capacitance-type senders (i.e. newer Gaffrig type with no moving parts), there is a calibration procedure. If the installer cut the tube to fit the tank, and never went through the procedure, then you could get some erratic results.

Anyway, I don't remember it off the top of my head, but bascially you start with the tank empty, put power to the sender, and short two termnals. Check your senders, and if you need the procedure, I'll fish through my gauge box pile and find it.

Don't know if this is your problem, but it is worth checking. The fuel does run to the back of the tank, but still, it should stop reading full after you've burned off maybe 1/8-1/4 of the tank depending on trim angle.
Old 02-04-2011, 06:23 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 171 Likes on 86 Posts

Im almost positive they have never been removed/changed. I would think cigarette would have calibrated them from the factory, but I could be wrong. I'm the third owner and I know the 2nd owner never changed them. I could see if the 2nd owner has any contact info from the 1st owner and see if he had them changed. In the meantime Ill find out what type I have, thank you for the input.
Old 02-04-2011, 08:02 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by CIG3
Get a Flow-Scan set up. You can then monitor gallons used. Fuel gauges have never been accurate for the reasons you all stated.
x2. Very accurate way of measuring fuel used.
Old 02-05-2011, 11:41 AM
Registered

where can you get the flow-scan?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.