Tow Vehicles >

Tow Vehicles

Notices

Tow Vehicles

Old 04-02-2011, 08:47 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Top Ven
We have a F 350 dually diesel to pull our 38 ft Top Gun, I also have a new 2011 F 350 gas SW, for long hauls. We tow from NJ to Fla,with the dually, with the dually it does not swae , single wheel does, that just my 02 cents
I have pulled my 36 cat with a one ton dually and a F650. The one ton is no comparison to the F650. The sway factor would be very different between one wheel and dually. I also agree it depends on how far and what roads you are on. On the way to Havasu, we went by many big trucks that would have blown a SW truck off the road. If you just tow a few miles to the ramp, it might be ok.
Old 04-02-2011, 09:02 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1,295 Likes on 449 Posts

Originally Posted by ElimiNordic
This boat is probably 14k to 15k on a trailer and a dually will be much more stable during emergency situations regardless of brakes.
Way off on that weight, my 2000 42 Tiger with 1/4 tanks of fuel is only 12,700 on the trailer. I do agree with the stability of the dually though.

one thing to consider with a single wheel is under tow, if a tire drops off the road and you start swaying it is harder to recover as sidewalls will want to flex. you can set a trailer up as Dave said to help when braking but the stability for me was a key factor... it's piece of mind. .02 cents
Old 04-02-2011, 09:30 AM
Registered

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by offshoredrillin
Way off on that weight, my 2000 42 Tiger with 1/4 tanks of fuel is only 12,700 on the trailer. I do agree with the stability of the dually though.

one thing to consider with a single wheel is under tow, if a tire drops off the road and you start swaying it is harder to recover as sidewalls will want to flex. you can set a trailer up as Dave said to help when braking but the stability for me was a key factor... it's piece of mind. .02 cents
Rob, That's what I was thinking about the previous weight number someone threw out. The Cig site lists weight at 9900lbs and a 227 Gallon Fuel Tank. I know my 38' Steel trailer is 3,037lbs (last time I scaled it). I am guessing you have an aluminum trailer which obviously would shed some weight.

Another variable is the trailer itself and the balance of the boat. I had both motors out of mine this winter and had to tow it a few hundred miles back and forth a few times while the motors were getting done and I can tell you mine tows much better with the weight of the motors in the boat even though I am much lighter without motors.

That is a good point about tires as well. People buy tires based on price rather than cost. Definately not the place to skimp IMO.

I am getting the impression that 39' Unlimited already has an F350 and is wanting to know if it will work with the new boat. If he is shopping for a new truck I'd say get the DRW all day long. The price difference between a SRW and a DRW is virtually non-existant.
Old 04-02-2011, 09:41 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by baywatch
Rob, That's what I was thinking about the previous weight number someone threw out. The Cig site lists weight at 9900lbs and a 227 Gallon Fuel Tank. I know my 38' Steel trailer is 3,037lbs (last time I scaled it). I am guessing you have an aluminum trailer which obviously would shed some weight.

Another variable is the trailer itself and the balance of the boat. I had both motors out of mine this winter and had to tow it a few hundred miles back and forth a few times while the motors were getting done and I can tell you mine tows much better with the weight of the motors in the boat even though I am much lighter without motors.

That is a good point about tires as well. People buy tires based on price rather than cost. Definately not the place to skimp IMO.

I am getting the impression that 39' Unlimited already has an F350 and is wanting to know if it will work with the new boat. If he is shopping for a new truck I'd say get the DRW all day long. The price difference between a SRW and a DRW is virtually non-existant.
If you are full on fuel, aren't you in the 14k range?
Old 04-02-2011, 11:23 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 771 Likes on 352 Posts

If I had the money to custom build a brand new 39 - I would find the money to get a truck that REALLY made me comfortable. Nothing smaller than an F-450, and probably try to find the right F650.

That's just my opinion, and it is easy to sit behind a keyboard and spend someone else's money!!!
Old 04-02-2011, 11:28 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 39 Unlimited
Any thoughts on towing a 39 with the new F350 single wheel drive 6.7 diesel?

I realize that dual wheel drive would be optimal.

Thats going to be ok. Your rig with trailer is what 12-15K?

It is not optimal but its for sure OK.

All the new rigs have sophisticated anti sway control that reacts way quicker than you can to a bad situation.

The dually gives you blowout protection which is survivable, but would be precarious.

Uncle Dave
Old 04-02-2011, 11:39 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by seafordguy
If I had the money to custom build a brand new 39 - I would find the money to get a truck that REALLY made me comfortable. Nothing smaller than an F-450, and probably try to find the right F650.

That's just my opinion, and it is easy to sit behind a keyboard and spend someone else's money!!!
Isn't the F350 dually and the F450 dually really the same truck as far as frames, suspension, engines etc?
Old 04-02-2011, 12:58 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 36 Likes on 10 Posts

Id say your fine with a f350 but im not the one driving. Meaning if money is an issue then get by with the 350. I've towed my 46 with a f 450 and did not feel comfortable, and is why I bought my f 650. I like knowing I can mash the brakes and stop as quick as a car. U think well how many times will I have to stop quick. Believe it or not people see a big rig and intentially try to get in front of it rather then getting stuck behind it. In my case I'm usually hallin ass and am all over a car that's thinking I'm going 25 in a 35 that pulls out in front of me.

Last edited by BraceYourself; 04-02-2011 at 03:18 PM.
Old 04-02-2011, 01:10 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by BraceYourself
.... U think well how many times will I have to stop quick.... In my case I'm usually hallin ass and am all over a car thinking I'm going 25 in a 35 that pulls out in front of me.
Not sure that makes sense hauling a 46 but to each his own
Old 04-02-2011, 01:14 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by BraceYourself
Id say your fine with a f350 but im not the one driving. Meaning if money is an issue then get by with the 350. I've towed my 46 with a f 450 and did not feel comfortable, and is why I bought my f 650. I like knowing I can mash the brakes and stop as quick as a car. U think well how many times will I have to stop quick. Believe it or not people see a big rig and intentially try to get in front of it rather then getting stuck behind it. In my case I'm usually hallin ass and am all over a car thinking I'm going 25 in a 35 that pulls out in front of me.
I gained so much more respect for 18 wheelers when I stared driving my F650. People do pull right in front of you and cut you off with this monster boat and truck. What are they thinking? Also, going 50 mph before a hill on the interstate in the right lane.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.