Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Cigarette
De-mothball after 10 years >

De-mothball after 10 years

Notices

De-mothball after 10 years

Old 07-26-2011, 12:46 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

on my 28ss to put the batteries in, i would go behind the flame arrestor, and inbetween the exhaust, and bell housing. You have to tilt at a good angle, but you should be able to fit them in. I have the same setup
Old 07-26-2011, 01:14 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CigaretteSam
Got any pictures of your Cig? Good luck on getting her ready for the water!!!
Sam,
I have one or two on digital here at the office, send me your e-mail address
Doug
Old 07-26-2011, 01:20 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by svonmiller
Ha - yours engines sound as packed in as mine! My 26 footer has Merc 320s and with the original log headers too. Plugs on mine are a nightmare too. I always break at least two plugs when replacing them. Not to mentioned aches and pains from bending my body in weird positions.

There's NO room in there to work with both motors installed. So with one motor out, I'm installing remote oil drain tubes. I could probably do it with the motors in, but with one out it's super simple. Anyway, you run them out the bilge drain hole to do an oil change. Eddiemarine.com had the cheapest ones: https://www.eddiemarine.com/store/ca...l&p=11991&c=49

If you want pics of my pre-oiler let me know. Totally simple to build and worked great. I also built a custom hoist to pull the motor.
Yes I would like to see pictures of your 'Pre Oiler"

Mine boat should have had small blocks!

I made an engine hoist, it looks like any other hoist from a distance. mine is on steroids, it is about a foot+ taller, and about a foot or so longer reach. I made it to do the engines on the SS Cigarette and my Magnum Sedan
Old 07-26-2011, 02:35 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Any 28SS benefits from changing the exhaust over to Stainless marine. I've done both and they give alot of room and are smaller, lighter and more efficient than the old style log or even center riser stuff.
Old 07-26-2011, 03:24 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by CIG3
Any 28SS benefits from changing the exhaust over to Stainless marine. I've done both and they give alot of room and are smaller, lighter and more efficient than the old style log or even center riser stuff.
The only problem with any other exhaust is the engine hatch. Cigarettet put 3 scoups across the back for the Merc exhaust risers. My stock 330hp 454's were swapped out for 425hp 454's which have a higher rise intake manifold so that the carbs and flame arrestors now stick thru the hatch.

Anybody have a spare pair of SS scoups?
Old 07-26-2011, 08:36 PM
Registered

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Crallscars
Sam,
I have one or two on digital here at the office, send me your e-mail address
Doug
[email protected]

Thanks!
Old 07-27-2011, 09:21 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Crallscars
Yes I would like to see pictures of your 'Pre Oiler"

Mine boat should have had small blocks!

I made an engine hoist, it looks like any other hoist from a distance. mine is on steroids, it is about a foot+ taller, and about a foot or so longer reach. I made it to do the engines on the SS Cigarette and my Magnum Sedan
It's twice as big as it needs to be, and it doesn't really need a pressure gauge - but the gauge was on sale for $3 at Harbor Freight, so I said what the hell. The other end, that screws into the block is an extension to a small grease gun. Also got that at Harbor Freight for $2.

Here's the hoist:
Old 07-28-2011, 07:53 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by cabana1
on my 28ss to put the batteries in, i would go behind the flame arrestor, and inbetween the exhaust, and bell housing. You have to tilt at a good angle, but you should be able to fit them in. I have the same setup
Your exhaust must exit lower in the transome, mine still with has the factory logs and the risers have the exhaust going streight out the back, the tips are above the rub rail. That pretty much eliminates all access across the back of the engine compartment.

The stbd side of the engine compartment has that 4or 5 inch pipe mounted to the hull for all the cables and lines to pass thru. If it wasn't for that life would be a bit easier.